I waited forever to get this phone because of all the bad rap it got, but I have to say it isn't bad. It has it's flaws, but that's what we get for getting the first generation.
    05-16-09 05:06 AM
    then you have a badass BES admin where you work. most admins won't run unsupported softwares, but then again i've met a few admins who were just figure heads, click the box to turn stuff on and off, etc. many of those kind of admins aren't even capable of supporting "official" software themselves. if your browser slowed down or something, they'd say "dial *228"....lmfao! they're just a middle man between you and the carrier's tech support team.
    It's not a work related BES. It's a "private" BES service which I pay a monthly fee for. I would never put my personal phone on a company BES.
    05-16-09 05:10 AM
    the technical term is "a mob"...and we'll be passing around a sign up sheet for snacks, drinks, and paper or plastic cups/plates/napkins (sorry, they only come in paper these days) /plastic forks and knives, etc...
    I'll bring brownies. If you want any extras in the brownies, just let me know.
    Last edited by RBernier; 05-16-09 at 05:25 AM.
    05-16-09 05:18 AM
    I have had the same storm since the day they came out... Upgraded OS from .65 to .75 all the way up to .132...

Never replaced, never had problems with the screen... The OS is not perfect, but it is not bad... It works. The web works, E-mail is fast, the programs a smartphone needs and uses work FINE...

I am amazed how many people complain... Customers, and people here..

But I will tell you this, in the hands of someone who knows how to USE the phone, not just fill it with meaningless Apps, it is a brilliant device...
    I'm glad it's working for you, but when I am listening to music, looking on the web and then I get a text/email and switching to check said text/email the phone slows down to a crawl it is not working like it should. I can't stand when people on CB mention meaningless Apps. It's my phone, I can have whatever I want on it. If it was meant to strictly be a business device then RIM wouldn't have put a touchscreen on the device in the first place. It's a decent attempt at best to be a business/consumer device, but the Blackberry OS does not really workout as a touchscreen interface.
    05-16-09 12:31 PM
    then you have a badass BES admin where you work. most admins won't run unsupported softwares, but then again i've met a few admins who were just figure heads, click the box to turn stuff on and off, etc. many of those kind of admins aren't even capable of supporting "official" software themselves. if your browser slowed down or something, they'd say "dial *228"....lmfao! they're just a middle man between you and the carrier's tech support team.
    When did you meet me company's IT lady?
    She was two answers to anything:
    1) Reboot
    2) she calls the guy who actually knows the answer
    05-16-09 12:36 PM
    okay, just so you all know, NJ passed a law about "mobs without representation" so we need to become a Union in order to get this accomplished. i'll let you talk amongst yourselves, lemme know when you come to a conclusion.
    05-16-09 02:37 PM
    We should all complain to the manufacturers of our automobiles that we don't get 100mpg. I read that its possible but its just terrible programming of the ECU that causes 28mpg.
    05-16-09 04:33 PM
    I'm glad it's working for you, but when I am listening to music, looking on the web and then I get a text/email and switching to check said text/email the phone slows down to a crawl it is not working like it should. I can't stand when people on CB mention meaningless Apps. It's my phone, I can have whatever I want on it. If it was meant to strictly be a business device then RIM wouldn't have put a touchscreen on the device in the first place. It's a decent attempt at best to be a business/consumer device, but the Blackberry OS does not really workout as a touchscreen interface.
    btw, "business phones" have touch screens too...like most of the winmo and palm devices were touch screen...

touch screen was around for a LONG TIME before the iPhone...
    05-16-09 05:01 PM
    We should all complain to the manufacturers of our automobiles that we don't get 100mpg. I read that its possible but its just terrible programming of the ECU that causes 28mpg.
    That comparison really makes no sense at all. The Verizon phone clearly has problems with there official release that they could easily fix as people who don't even work for rim or Verizon can fix. And you want to compare this phone to car's? Well what about when a automaker that screws up and has to issue a recall, they do so, Fixing the car the way it was intended to run, drive etc etc. When i buy a car i realize its not going to get 100mpg per gallon, when i buy a storm i expect to be able to make a phone call when i want to not wait for the god damn thing to unfreeze. The freezing **** is my only gripe, in this day in age, i expect technology to run fast not freeze up every time it has to think. Even more so when the thing cost 599$ out right.
    05-16-09 09:15 PM
    High 5 BigBCP! This phone is not PERFECT. And with it being first gen, it should have never been expected to be.
    It is an overall great device, that will undoutibly get better in time. Like Big said ; FOR THOSE WHO KNOW HOW TO USE THE PHONE.
    And therein lies the crux of the conflict/confusion. People want prime rib, but they're not even willing to pay for the stuff that gets ground up for dog food, nor are they willing to wait for it to be properly cooked so they don't get sick after eating it. When you have a situation like that, something, somewhere, is going to have to give.

The same people who whine and complain about there being no new official update are the same people who whine and complain about the software not being absolutely perfect. Verizon could always release any number of builds that previously failed testing, but then people would complain about THAT.

So, no matter how you look at it, you find yourself coming back again to the conclusion that we have a bunch of overanxious children who have yet to learn the virtue of patience. I'm not saying it's an excuse for buggy software -- and compared to a lot of software out there, the Storm is really pretty good -- but until someone comes up with a revolutionary new method of programming and/or testing... More features means more complex code, which means more testing, meaning longer periods of time between releases. That's just how it is. You can throw all the pre-adolescent temper tantrums you want, trying to cloak them in the form of letters to Verizon/RIM, or whatever else, it won't change this fundamental fact.

If you want a good quality steak, you have to be willing to pay for it, AND have the patience to sit there while it's properly cooked.

Small personal story... Bought a new laptop. Literally just got it about noon on Friday. Worked great for a couple hours, but when I got back home Friday evening after leaving it run unattended for 3-4 hours, I ultimately find that my AC adapter is defective. So, it will probably be Tuesday before I can get a replacement, but you don't see me jumping up and down, clawing at the walls, writing letters to Dell about how their laptops suck because I got one bad AC adapter. I just calmly took advantage of the fact that I'm a Dell certified tech and put in a request for a new AC adapter. Now I'm calmly waiting for it to come. Sure it sucks that I have this shiny new laptop I can't even use, but getting upset is only going to make it worse for me.

So like I said earlier to people: Grow up. A good sign of emotional maturity is recognizing situations that you have no control over, and not letting them bother you.
    05-17-09 08:31 AM
    I remember going to Disney Land or World or whichever one it is in Florida... Anyway, went there in the mid to late 80s, and I remember they had touch screen displays back then. I remember using MS Paint, on Windows 3.1, using a touch screen. So that's probably around 20 years at least, give or take, before the Jesus Phone ever came into being. The tech was probably around even longer than that. Most people don't know that the tech for color TV was invented back around the 1920s. There are plenty of things that are much much older than most people realize.
    05-17-09 08:39 AM
    And therein lies the crux of the conflict/confusion. People want prime rib, but they're not even willing to pay for the stuff that gets ground up for dog food, nor are they willing to wait for it to be properly cooked so they don't get sick after eating it. When you have a situation like that, something, somewhere, is going to have to give.

The same people who whine and complain about there being no new official update are the same people who whine and complain about the software not being absolutely perfect. Verizon could always release any number of builds that previously failed testing, but then people would complain about THAT.

So, no matter how you look at it, you find yourself coming back again to the conclusion that we have a bunch of overanxious children who have yet to learn the virtue of patience. I'm not saying it's an excuse for buggy software -- and compared to a lot of software out there, the Storm is really pretty good -- but until someone comes up with a revolutionary new method of programming and/or testing... More features means more complex code, which means more testing, meaning longer periods of time between releases. That's just how it is. You can throw all the pre-adolescent temper tantrums you want, trying to cloak them in the form of letters to Verizon/RIM, or whatever else, it won't change this fundamental fact.

If you want a good quality steak, you have to be willing to pay for it, AND have the patience to sit there while it's properly cooked.

Small personal story... Bought a new laptop. Literally just got it about noon on Friday. Worked great for a couple hours, but when I got back home Friday evening after leaving it run unattended for 3-4 hours, I ultimately find that my AC adapter is defective. So, it will probably be Tuesday before I can get a replacement, but you don't see me jumping up and down, clawing at the walls, writing letters to Dell about how their laptops suck because I got one bad AC adapter. I just calmly took advantage of the fact that I'm a Dell certified tech and put in a request for a new AC adapter. Now I'm calmly waiting for it to come. Sure it sucks that I have this shiny new laptop I can't even use, but getting upset is only going to make it worse for me.

So like I said earlier to people: Grow up. A good sign of emotional maturity is recognizing situations that you have no control over, and not letting them bother you.

gimme back my plane! hi-jack over.
    05-17-09 10:56 AM
    btw, "business phones" have touch screens too...like most of the winmo and palm devices were touch screen...

Yes thank you, I never mentioned the iPhone. Most of the business phones you are speaking of were resistive, 2.4-2.8 inch screen that came with a keyboard and a stylus. Which still made them very business friendly IMO. A device that is all touch screen is tad different.
    05-17-09 12:21 PM
    Yes thank you, I never mentioned the iPhone. Most of the business phones you are speaking of were resistive, 2.4-2.8 inch screen that came with a keyboard and a stylus. Which still made them very business friendly IMO. A device that is all touch screen is tad different.
    my point is that the "precident" of touch screens is assumed to be the iPhone, but i wonder if "those people" know that their touch screen was made by "HTC"? its the same touch screen that is on the xv6900...look into it...
    05-17-09 12:53 PM
    how bout that their touchscreens were made in mexico???
    05-18-09 06:19 PM
    how bout that their touchscreens were made in mexico???
    they're making 'em all over the place now, i think RIM figured out what we did within the first month about mexico devices...hmmm
    05-18-09 06:43 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD