Okay- so I got one of the Storms yesterday and I have had some time to get used to its functions. I am a first time Blackberry and touch screen phone owner, so I have no other experiences to compare this to. Take pity on a Blackberry rookie please!

I noticed a couple things...

1.) My phone automatically switches to landscape mode sometimes upon exiting an application. No big deal, I just recorrect it and move on. But kind of irritating- it's like correcting a child.

2.) When I move the applications around (sorting them by most common used to least common used...) they sometimes don't set in their new place even after saving the "move." Sometimes they do stay for a while, but then move around later. It's kind of random, yes?

3.) This is the big one. I was typing in landscape mode (I think I was doing Facebook aplication) and then the phone automatically switched into camera/video mode... Without function buttons to take a picture or record a video... and seemed to get stuck on this function for a second until I either hit the clear, stop or menu buttons a couple times, or turned it off then back on.

With regards to Unusuality #3, what I did to try and remedy it was move the camera and video launch buttons down the list on the menu screen so that it was on the "2nd page" when displayed in full menu. So far the auto launch of camera/video has not happened. I considered that my Blackberry may be sensitive and a button I hit when texting/typing in landscape is activating the camera/video applications. Could this be the case?

Any advice? Is anyone else having an issue like these/this? Your thoughts are appreciated.
    11-22-08 12:54 PM
    maybe side key on phone has been set to camera mode, u can change that. As for apps you can set just to have 1 row instead of the 2 on the phone. Then you maybe wont have to move apps around as much. Hope this helps ?
    11-22-08 04:04 PM
    1... idk
    2 hit bberry button and save move
    3 your hitting the camera side button and dont know it . change the shortcut
    11-22-08 04:08 PM
    I have an oddity issue. When actually talking on the phone, I continually hit MUTE and SPEAKER accidentally because my jaw/cheek touches the screen. Is there a way to lock the touchscreen automatically while on a voice call?
    11-22-08 04:09 PM
    Thank you both for your replies- you guys are completely right about #3... duh! I changed the right and left keys to "nothing" for now. What are you going to use yours for?

Matt- on the oddity question, I too have done the same thing, except it sends it to speakerphone. I look forward to finding a solution to that as well.
    11-22-08 04:17 PM
    i use left one for sounds profile and right for memos
    11-22-08 04:20 PM
    i use left one for sounds profile and right for memos
    Andi.. Forgive me, but I feel like that is a waste of a convenience key to use it for sound profiles, when you can change the profiles from the home screen.. look at the top left, you can click on the speaker, and it brings up the profile menus..

But you may have a good reason for this. I was just pointing out my thoughts!
    11-22-08 04:27 PM
    wow -another neat trick! Thanks -will use for sumfin else,we all keep learning
    11-22-08 04:51 PM
    never have had any of those issues -- sorry
    11-22-08 04:53 PM
    wow -another neat trick! Thanks -will use for sumfin else,we all keep learning
    No problem Andi! Great to help out a fellow abuser!
    11-22-08 05:31 PM
    #3 drove me nuts! Got it fixed
    11-22-08 06:07 PM
    I just had the exact same problem and want to know how to lock the camera button so this doesn't happen again. Can you guys please explain for a novice? I was just trying to type of Facebook three different times and the camera launched and ate my typing. It is getting very frustrating.

Thanks.
    11-23-08 07:13 PM
    Cynaburst- I'd try what others have recommended for me to do, which is set the right or left key (Whichever you're hitting) to another quick launch button. After I've done that I don't seem to have to problem, which means it WAS my finger hitting the button and sending it to camera mode. I too hated the fact that it ate my text up! I switched mine to either a contact list or SMS/MMS until I could remember to stop touching those keys while typing in landscape or portait mode.
    11-23-08 07:51 PM
    Identity - It sounds like a great solution, but can you explain to me exactly how to do it?

This is my first smartphone and I need lots of handholding....Crackberry has been taking really good care of me, and so far, I have been able to do everything with lots of help from all of you experts, but I need step-by-step instructions!

Thanks so much.
    11-23-08 07:54 PM
    Cynaburst- I too am a Blackberry Virgin/Rookie and I'm so glad to be able to help a fellow newbie!

Ok, so go to...

Options- Screen/Keyboard- then scroll down and you'll see "Right Side Convenience Key Opens:" and also "Left Side Convenience Key Opens:"

Make your selection- even choose NOTHING if you'd like, but that would be a waste of a cool feature!

I hope it helps you!
    11-23-08 08:00 PM
    Thanks so much ID. I did it, and actually until I figure out this typing thing, I disabled both the camera and the voice dialing switches until I get a handle on this. I am getting much more proficient, but last night I was ready to throw this thing against the wall!
    11-23-08 08:07 PM
    ... but last night I was ready to throw this thing against the wall!
    Cynaburst-

At least you didn't nearly freak out in front of all of your friends because you thought you bought a bunk Blackberry. (Although my naysayer "friends" were already armed and ready with their doses of nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeeeeeeeh's for me. But they can all eat a d*ck for all I care- I love my Blackberry Storm!)
    11-23-08 08:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD