1x/1X/1xEV/1XEV
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/1x-1...52/index2.html

3G
    International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT-2000), better known as 3G or 3rd Generation, is a family of standards for mobile telecommunications defined by the International Telecommunication Union,[1] which includes GSM EDGE, UMTS, and CDMA2000 as well as DECT and WiMAX. Services include wide-area wireless voice telephone, video calls, and wireless data, all in a mobile environment. Compared to 2G and 2.5G services, 3G allows simultaneous use of speech and data services and higher data rates (up to 14.4 Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8 Mbit/s on the uplink with HSPA+). Thus, 3G networks enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency.

BanStick/BanHammer/ModStick
    A banstick is a magical object used by admins of a server to ban people. When someone spams or causes trouble on a forum, mods and users alike will refer to it.

BB
    Not the metal thing used in BB guns. Simply stands for BlackBerry. Ex. "I love my BB"

BBM
    Blackberry Messenger

BBSAK
    BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife
    From the BBSAK interface you can:
    * Wipe Blackberry leaving a 507 error
    * Reset Blackberry to factory state removing any IT Policy
    * Take Screenshots of your Blackberry.
    * Install COD Files

BES
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server = email service provided by a server ran by a company. Click here to read more about it.

BIS
    BlackBerry Internet Service = email service provided by the respective carrier; T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, Rogers, etc, etc... Click here to read more about.

CDMA
    Short for Code-Division Multiple Access, a digital cellular technology that uses spread-spectrum techniques. Unlike competing systems, such as GSM, that use TDMA, CDMA does not assign a specific frequency to each user. Instead, every channel uses the full available spectrum. Individual conversations are encoded with a pseudo-random digital sequence. CDMA consistently provides better capacity for voice and data communications than other commercial mobile technologies, allowing more subscribers to connect at any given time, and it is the common platform on which 3G technologies are built.

Crackberry Search Function
    This button allows you to search various topics on Crackberry to avoid having to go through the trouble of creating a whole new post that may have already been created in the past! Yeah it works! For instance.
    If I wanted to find out if others liked their BB storms or not I could type in the search forums space "i hate my storm so much" or "I love my storm so much" and topics relating to those keywords will pop up. You may also use the search function to find posts by specific CB members who are known to give great help. Ex.(Patches152, Crucial_Xtreme, Blueberry9550, JRSCCivic98). Chances are the big n00b question that you are so afraid to ask has already been answered! You may also search Crackberry for ANYTHING related to BB whether it be BB products or the latest BB gossip and news.

DM
    Desktop Manager (also referred to as BDM or BBDM). Software used to manage all Blackberry applications, themes, etc. through your computer.

EDGE
    Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution. <- This is the "standard" for GSM world wide. It's GSM's 2G tech.

EVDO
    Evolution Data Optimized. <- This is the "standard" for CDMA. This is CDMA's 3G tech.

Fanboy/Fanboi
    Someone far beyond a simple fan.
    No, not the tye of fan which keeps people cool.
    An arrogant person who goes into an outburst every time something he likes is questioned. Fanboys usually acuse others of being fanboys. Usually use 1337 and swarm MMORPGs. Fanboys caused alot of fallouts between people when they started arguing about consoles. If you insult something that a fanboy likes, he will spam your computer up and try to insult something that you like.

Flaming
    A hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users. Flaming usually occurs in the social context of a discussion board, Internet Relay Chat (IRC), by e-mail or on Video-sharing websites.
    An Internet user typically generates a flame response to other posts or users posting on a site, and such a response is usually not constructive, does not clarify a discussion, and does not persuade others. Sometimes, flamers attempt to assert their authority, or establish a position of superiority over other users. Other times, a flamer is simply an individual who believes he or she carries the only valid opinion. This leads him or her to personally attack those who disagree. In some cases, flamers wish to upset and offend other members of the forum, in which case they can be called "trolls". Most often however, flamers are angry or insulting messages transmitted by people who have strong feelings about a subject.

FSR-force sensitive resistor
    A piezoelectric element used in the Blackberry Storm2 as a mode of haptic feedback. It senses the slightest pressure applied on the screen by the user, and is set to trigger the piezoelectric actuators "buttons" to produce the feedback.

GPU
    A graphics processing unit or GPU (also occasionally called visual processing unit or VPU) is a specialized processor that offloads 3D graphics rendering from the microprocessor. It is used in embedded systems, mobile phones, personal computers, workstations, and game consoles.

GSM
    GSM (Global System for Mobile communication) is a digital mobile telephone system that is widely used in Europe and other parts of the world. GSM uses a variation of Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) and is the most widely used of the three digital wireless telephone technologies (TDMA, GSM, and CDMA). GSM digitizes and compresses data, then sends it down a channel with two other streams of user data, each in its own time slot. It operates at either the 900 MHz or 1,800 MHz frequency band.

Host Routing Tables
    Routing tables are used in computer networks to direct forwarding by matching destination addresses to the network paths used to reach them. The construction of routing tables is the primary goal of routing protocols. Click here to read more.

Hybrid
    A hybrid is the re-arrangement of Blackberry Operating System .cod files, using the best traits from two or more Operating System builds.

For instance, if one was to place the flick scrolling files of OS 5.0.0.191 along with 4.7.0.148 radio files and the majority of core 4.7.0.151 files, that would be considered a hybrid. (not sure if this actual combination of hybrid is possible, but you get the idea)

IMO
    In My Opinion

Leak
    Leaks are materials in which were not originally inteded for public distribution, but were released to the public without the permissions of its creator.
    Example: Photos, Videos, Software, Specs.

Memory Leak
    A memory leak in computer science is a particular type of unintentional memory consumption by a computer program where the program fails to release memory when no longer needed. This condition is normally the result of a bug in a program that prevents it from freeing memory that it no longer needs. Some memory is requested by the program and allocated but it fails to return it (deallocate) when no longer needed.

OEM
    Original Equipment Manufacturer - refers to accessories designed and distributed by the original manufacturer of the device.

OP
    Original Poster of thread.

OS
    An Operating System (commonly abbreviated to either OS or O/S) is an interface between hardware and user; an OS is responsible for the management and coordination of activities and the sharing of the resources of the computer. The operating system acts as a host for computing applications that are run on the machine. As a host, one of the purposes of an operating system is to handle the details of the operation of the hardware.

OTA
    Over The Air - A link to use from your BlackBerry device for a direct download of desired content(IE: Themes, Apps, etc..)

Piezoelectrics
    Currently being used in the Blackberry Storm 2. It produces the haptic feedback in the storm 2, as well as the screen lock mechanism. See here for more details of how the piezoelectric effect works.

PIN sharing and Barcode sharing
    Barcodes only work with Blackberry Messenger 5. Basically to send IM's to other BB users you have to have their PIN, or share your PIN. BBM 5 lets you share a barcode or PIN. Your camera takes a scan of a barcode and that person gets your "add" request in their BB IM.

Provisioning
    the process of preparing and equipping a network so that it can provide (new) services to its users.

QC
    Quality Control- In engineering and manufacturing, quality control and quality engineering are used in developing systems to ensure products or services are designed and produced to meet or exceed customer requirements.

RIM (Research in Motion)
    Manufacturer of Blackberry.

Service Books
    Pieces of software code that get placed on your BlackBerry device to enable certain features, or provide certain functionality.

For example, an MMS service book would be put on your device to allow your device to send/receive MMS message.
    There's service books for numerous things... such as email, calendar, browser, IM, etc.

T.H. Council
    -----------A help group of over 20 members in the CB forums that provides opinions, guidance, tips, and help with your BB concerns/issues/guestions.-----------

Troll
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]

UI
    The user interface (also known as human computer interface or man-machine interface (MMI)) is the aggregate of means by which people—the users—interact with the system—a particular machine, device, computer program or other complex tool. The user interface provides means of:
    Input, allowing the users to manipulate a system
    Output, allowing the system to indicate the effects of the users' manipulation.

U.S. Carrier Abbreviations

ATT - AT&T
    T-MO - T-Mobile
    VZW - Verizon Wireless

WiFi
    The name of a popular wireless networking technology that uses radio waves to provide wireless high-speed Internet and network connections. The Wi-Fi Alliance, the organization that owns the Wi-Fi (registered trademark) term specifically defines Wi-Fi as any "wireless local area network
    (WLAN) products that are based on the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers' (IEEE) 802.11 standards."

General
    Computer Geek Acronyms
    Feel free to add to my list and I will update it! Thanks.
    Last edited by Card Storm; 11-07-09 at 10:12 PM.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-09-09 03:18 PM
    thanks! I am new to bb, and these forums, and learned something about the terms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 07:04 PM
    thanks! I am new to bb, and these forums, and learned something about the terms.

im glad i could help someone i remember when i was a n00b and i had no idea what some of these terms meant.
    08-09-09 07:57 PM
    thanks, very informative thread here to this Noob...... ((specially that leak stuff!!!))
    09-08-09 04:40 AM
    why is this rants/raves? this should be in the main forum and stickied, as well as CC'd to every other forum, and sent in an email, PIN and sms to every user who subscribes to CB and any other blackberry based forum/discussion board!
    09-09-09 12:24 AM
    Very nice bro! Glad to see this is now a sticky and this will help out with the clutter forsure.
    09-09-09 01:46 PM
    Awesome Card! You may want to add Mod Stick/Banhammer and also BlueBerry9550 Rules!
    09-09-09 02:07 PM
    Actually if you could update the Search section to include the ability to search by user, that might help the noobs to. Searching for posts by Civic,Radio,Blue,Patches, an CX have been helpful to me at times.
    09-09-09 02:10 PM
    Ahhhhh, thread nice and fresh again.
    09-09-09 04:48 PM
    Wow very nice thanks..
    09-09-09 04:50 PM
    No problematic.
    09-09-09 04:51 PM
    What is a Noob? Is that like saying knob like door knob?, or noob like calling someone a boob. I use to think that OP was like calling someone a dope but op. But of course its original poster.

*update* just saw Newb vs Noob thread..... Peaaace

Last edited by not_addicted77; 09-09-09 at 07:41 PM.
    09-09-09 07:31 PM
    What is a Noob? Is that like saying knob like door knob?, or noob like calling someone a boob. I use to think that OP was like calling someone a dope but op. But of course its original poster.

*update* just saw Newb vs Noob thread..... Peaaace

okey dokey than!
    09-09-09 10:20 PM
    Ask T.H.e Council
    09-09-09 11:22 PM
    FLAME - what is done when you start a post with "i heard new OS is coming on **/** from a reliable source!"
    09-10-09 12:15 PM
    FLAME - what is done when you start a post with "i heard new OS is coming on **/** from a reliable source!"
    Awesome addition!!! lol
    09-10-09 01:21 PM
    OTA? I can't figure this one out...
    09-11-09 08:02 AM
    Over The Air - A link to use from your BlackBerry device for a direct download of desired content(IE: Themes, Apps, etc..)

Also BB - Black Berry ................. took me a little bit to figure that one out :P
    Last edited by EG18; 09-11-09 at 08:09 AM.
    09-11-09 08:07 AM

Also BB - Black Berry ................. took me a little bit to figure that one out :P
    DUDE! you guys are awesome, I didnt think of OTA!!! or BB.

WOhooo!
    09-11-09 11:35 AM
    Funny I knew BB pretty quickly but OTA... I was thinking "Other Trusted Applications" for some reason. :}

Anyway thanks for putting this post up!

Maybe you could throw "Hybrid" up there for the really uninformed?
    09-11-09 11:45 AM
    Funny I knew BB pretty quickly but OTA... I was thinking "Other Trusted Applications" for some reason. :}

Anyway thanks for putting this post up!

Maybe you could throw "Hybrid" up there for the really uninformed?
    beleive it or not, alot of people dont know what a hybrid is. I will throw that up there. Thanks!
    09-11-09 11:47 AM
    Having not read the whole thread... ya might want to consider adding an image for BB button/menu/BB key, etc. That is " "

Glad this thread got moved to a better place

09-11-09 09:19 PM
    May want to add some other common terms around here like:

DM - Desktop Manager (also referred to as BDM or BBDM)

BBM - Blackberry Messenger

I'm sure I will think of more, and I will return to post for addition.

Excellent idea for a thread Card.
    09-11-09 09:26 PM
    The list has been updated! Thanks again for those of you contributing to the list!
    09-12-09 02:39 PM
    Please PLEASE add network coverage display definitions!

09-12-09 02:40 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD