I have a 9530 with Verizon and LOVE both the phone AND the provider. Only ever encountered one rude C.S. Rep and amazingly received an email shortly after from same rep APOLOGIZING for their "unwarranted attitude." For me that raised her stock in my book as THAT took guts. Easier had the attitude not been present, but to admit wrong and apologize took a pair.

Now to the questions:

1) do all cell phones have PINs?

2) if so does pin-to-pin work between any phones?

3) what security risks are there in giving out your PIN for those type messages?

4) using bum does one run the same risks or are there additional ones (or less?)

And finally, my thanks to everyone here. I lurk around a lot, and keep abreast of posts via Viigo, and I babe learned a lot from y'all

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 05:31 PM
    1) No, not all cell phones have PINs, most have ESNs (Electronic Serial Numbers,) or other forms of identifying their individual units. (Some others may have them, but not in the sense you are asking.)
    2) Your PIN is your phones serial number, and in a manner of speaking, your address on the RIM network. Others with a blackberry that know your PIN can send you messages directly through RIMs own network, and you to them. Whereas to say, a text message travels through your carriers network (and various other routes on the way.) PIN to PIN messaging will therefore not work with phones that aren't on the RIM network. (Not a blackberry.)
    3) Not too many security risks at all, except for stalkers just like in everyday person to person dealings. The only time your PIN is at any sort of risk is if you were to have your phone stolen, but that would only be that someone could potentially use your device. But you would have contacted your carrier in that instance.
    4) For this I am going to assume you meant BBM, (If I am mistaken I apologize.) Less risks using BBM as you can always block a contact if you need to.
    Hope this helps. I may be mistaken on a few things, but I am sure it's close enough to help clarify for you.
    Have a good day.
    Dave
    11-06-09 06:02 PM
    Dave, thank you. That was direct and to the point. I'm sure that I'm probably not the only one wondering. Now I got it. So I'm going back to lurk in the crackberry bushes til another perplexing mystery stumps me. Thanks again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 06:37 PM
    Good word. Glad I could help.
    11-06-09 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD