I do a wipe before any OS changes using JL_Cmder but I have had A LOT of hybrids.

Is it possible that maybe there is residue left behind?

I installed 328 on my wife's Storm and it is screaming! It is perfect! I'm like I want this, I need this, NOW!!!!

So I wiped lyricidal's latest hybrid 95X0 - 5.0.0.238/296 Hybrid and installed 328 and bam I hit a wall!

Now I have the "screen of death" and a terrible hesitation that after the black screen goes away the phone is unresponsive for approx 30 seconds then it's working. But I have to keep it active, if I let it idle it stalls again.

Now I have had this problem once before, with the OS 230 and I since then wiped and installed 95X0 - 5.0.0.238/296 Hybrid which was working really good!

So 230 was my very first OS that had the screen of death and such so is it possible that residue from OS's past is haunting me?

By the by I use the JL_Cmder to wipe.

Or should I switch to the other wiping tool: BBSAKv1.5

thanks,
    James
    10-27-09 09:35 AM
    It has been noted many times that wiping before installing really does not make a difference as the phone is wiped clean when you are re installing the OS.
    Your problem might be caused by a corrupt database or a bad app. Try reinstalling but do not restore your apps and see if that fixes your problem. Or even deleting your 3rd party apps right now one by one following a battery pull and see if the problem goes away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 10:31 AM
    It has been noted many times that wiping before installing really does not make a difference as the phone is wiped clean when you are re installing the OS.
    Your problem might be caused by a corrupt database or a bad app. Try reinstalling but do not restore your apps and see if that fixes your problem. Or even deleting your 3rd party apps right now one by one following a battery pull and see if the problem goes away.

Oh snap, that's a lot of battery pulls.

Here are 3 add on facts:

1) It has only happened on 230 and 328.

2) My apps have not changed added or deleted for months now.

3) And this morning when I reinstalled the OS for the 3rd time I was playing with it stock i.e. no apps and no back up files and it did the unresponsive crap! I was installing Quickpull Pro on it's own so I wouldn't have to continue doing physical batt pulls.

But you are right apps go bad and so does databases.

I guess I can try it again when I get home.

Let's see I used apploader once and the DM twice.

So I guess I'll try apploader again. Maybe this time I won't do a wipe.
    10-27-09 10:47 AM
    Until last night, I hadn't used any tool to wipe my storm before upgrading OS's... I tried BBSAK v1.7 last night and I noticed a difference in my free app memory after loading everything up. Was about 4-5 megs of memory.
    10-27-09 10:59 AM

Completely agree...I had a similar problem with a previous OS and the solution was to install a "clean" OS version on my storm...(out of the box setup) meaning that I did not bring across my contacts, messages, apps, etc. Once I determined that my "base" install was good, I started bringing my apps and data back in. In my case there was a corruption of a message data file that had caused my problems. Bring 'em in one by one via DM.
    10-27-09 11:36 AM
    Ok, so when I reinstall the "backup" and the window pops up with all the items being installed I should uncheck all but the top one and go down from there?
    10-27-09 11:40 AM
    When you wipe your phone the only things that should install are the core software and basic apps.
    10-27-09 11:44 AM
    Yeah I got that.

Then Using DM I usually install my backup i.e. messages, contacts, etc

Then I use DM to install all of my 3rd party apps.

Then I (not in any specific order) I do battery pulls and register apps and play around.
    10-27-09 11:47 AM
    Yeah that's basically it.
    10-27-09 11:49 AM
    I seem to recall a thread from Civic about at one point needing to roll back to an earlier OS before upgrading to a new one. This was a specific case affecting only peopel who had installed a specific (range?) of leaked OS.

It was someting like if there were A, B, C, D, E, F, G, & H OSes. A, B & H being official. something was changed in C or D that was then cast aside, requiring the user to revert back to A (or B?) so the fixes implemented in E and on up would take.

I know I am simplifying but Abosolute worst case scenrio: Roll back to .65, upgrade to .75, upgrade to .141 (or wahtever the last offical 4.7 OS is) the upgrwade to the offical 5.0. then see how the phoen reacts before installing Apps and anything backed up
    10-27-09 12:03 PM
    I seem to recall a thread from Civic about at one point needing to roll back to an earlier OS before upgrading to a new one. This was a specific case affecting only peopel who had installed a specific (range?) of leaked OS.

It was someting like if there were A, B, C, D, E, F, G, & H OSes. A, B & H being official. something was changed in C or D that was then cast aside, requiring the user to revert back to A (or B?) so the fixes implemented in E and on up would take.

I know I am simplifying but Abosolute worst case scenrio: Roll back to .65, upgrade to .75, upgrade to .141 (or wahtever the last offical 4.7 OS is) the upgrwade to the offical 5.0. then see how the phoen reacts before installing Apps and anything backed up

Wow that is something I hadn't heard of. I don't recall that thread either.
    10-27-09 12:06 PM

Interesting.

Sounds like a long and boring job.

Hummmmm, before I do this which I hope I do not need to do.

I'm going to wipe yet again!

Then reinstall lyricidal's latest hybrid 95X0 - 5.0.0.238/296 Hybrid

It was flawless once it should be again. As I sit here thinking watching my phone mock me and laugh. I'm realizing that the hybrid was running just as good as my wife's phone last night.

Maybe my Storm likes hybrids!

Maybe I should make my own. Use OS 328 as my base and then install 296 over that.

Could be interesting, or a terrible mistake!

But to make a omelet you need to crack some eggs, right?
    10-27-09 12:13 PM
    Do this. Uninstall ALL OS's from your PC. Check the Shared directory in AppLoader and make ABSOLUTELY sure there's no files or directories lingering around. It's under ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\Research in Motion\etc. Then reinstall 4.7.0.148 OS exe on your PC. Wipe the phone and downgrade with this PC. Make absolutely sure NOT TO restore any personal data to the phone. Make sure the phone starts with OS 4.7.0.148 and bring it all the way up. Do 1 long battery pull and let it run on the OS for a few minutes (5-10 tops). While you're waiting, uninstall the .148 exe off your PC via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Then install 5.0.0.328 from a good download exe. Once this is done, plug the phone is and let it load up the new drivers. Then go into C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchinMotion\AppLo ader and start Loader.exe. Let it find the phone and do an upgrade on it. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THIS WRITEUP AND DO NOT WIPE THE PHONE BETWEEN 4.7.0.148 AND THE UPGRADE TO 5.0.0.328.

Good luck.

Let us know what happens.
    10-27-09 12:20 PM
    Do this. Uninstall ALL OS's from your PC. Check the Shared directory in AppLoader and make ABSOLUTELY sure there's no files or directories lingering around. It's under ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\Research in Motion\etc. Then reinstall 4.7.0.148 OS exe on your PC. Wipe the phone and downgrade with this PC. Make absolutely sure NOT TO restore any personal data to the phone. Make sure the phone starts with OS 4.7.0.148 and bring it all the way up. Do 1 long battery pull and let it run on the OS for a few minutes (5-10 tops). While you're waiting, uninstall the .148 exe off your PC via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Then install 5.0.0.328 from a good download exe. Once this is done, plug the phone is and let it load up the new drivers. Then go into C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchinMotion\AppLo ader and start Loader.exe. Let it find the phone and do an upgrade on it. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THIS WRITEUP AND DO NOT WIPE THE PHONE BETWEEN 4.7.0.148 AND THE UPGRADE TO 5.0.0.328.

Good luck.

Let us know what happens.
    Ok Civic I'll play along what the ****.

I will try it when I get home.

Now I need to find 148. Scratch that! I found it:

Leaked 4.7.0.148 for 9530!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/al...-betas-123176/

As for 328 I can get that from Verizon.

QUESTIONS:

After 328 is installed how long after can I reinstall the back up and 3rd party apps?

Before I reinstall my BU and APPs should I do batt pulls? Let it idle? Or what?

And thanks for caring enough to step in!
    Last edited by jamesandyori; 10-27-09 at 12:45 PM.
    10-27-09 12:25 PM
    I prefer to blame the spookies, but it may be more practical to go with JRSCCivic98's advice.

Good Luck
    10-27-09 12:45 PM
    QUESTIONS:

After 328 is installed how long after can I reinstall the back up and 3rd party apps?

Before I reinstall my BU and APPs should I do batt pulls? Let it idle? Or what?

And thanks for caring enough to step in!
    lol, I guess I forgot about that, lol. Don't restore your whole backup. Do a selective backup of just Address Book, Calendar, Messages, MMS/SMS messages, etc. Don't restore any of the other databases that hold ringer profiles or other OS dependant settings, even Call Log seems to be botched and changed in functions in OS5.0.0.32x, so I wouldn't restore that either. Just restore the data you need. Do this via Backup/Restore/Advanced in DM. As for 3rd party apps, don't install any apps that aren't build for OS5.x and interact with the UI in any way (screen locking apps and stuff like that). Normal apps like Google Maps, Poynt, etc. will be fine. Don't "restore" the 3rd party apps, if you can, install them from scatch if you can. If not, do the ones you can do and then test the OS stability for a couple of hours. If all is well, then add ONE APP AT A TIME of the apps you couldn't install from scratch and retest the phone stability for a little while. When you notice you installed an app that causes your phone to act funky, uninstall that app, it's probably the cause.
    10-27-09 12:51 PM
    Also, I was gonna suggest that you give .323 a try, if you cant get 328 to work. It is virtually the same OS.
    10-27-09 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD