I'm new to the Blackberry world (haven't actually joined yet until I can get a Storm) but I can't figure out how I'm going to get my corporate Exchange email on my Storm. My company does not and will not have a BES and they only support a smartphone with "activesync".

My requirements are:
    -send/receive emails from my Storm and have them in my appear in my outlook folders as well (especially email sent from my Storm needs to be in my "sent" folder
    -sycn calendar events between outlook/storm
    -sync contacts between outlook/storm.

So, is this possible and if so, what are the requirements? Will this be a reliable experience? BTW, I'm with Verizon now and I'll need to understand what plan to purchase to support this.
    11-18-08 10:14 AM
    why will they not have a BES?

you could use BPS instead. thats what i use here at work. we have lots of windows mobile users and BB users
    11-18-08 10:17 AM
    look into astrasync for blackberry... should interface with activesync like you want/need
    11-18-08 10:18 AM
    Out of box support will do BIS which has OWA conduits. If you can use Outlook Web Access now to your corporate Exchange server, you can use BIS. This will give you your Inbox folder with emails available from point in time that tie-in to account is setup. No subfolder support however, you'll need BES for that. Sent items from your Storm will go to Sent Items on your Exchange account and viewable in Outlook under Sent Items. Deleted items form your Storm can also be deleted form Exchange account and will go to Deleted Items on that account and viewable in Outlook.

Sync will be available via Desktop Manager with a USB cable for your calendar and address book... so no OTA for that unless you have BES.

You can most certainly use it this way unless you have a constant need for up to the minute changes to your contacts and calendar which would be done by someone else at your office (assistant or something) and you need them instantly changed on your Storm.

Oh yeah, read items on the Storm will be marked as read in Outlook as well. Changing them back to unread status will do the same back to Outlook.
    11-18-08 10:25 AM
    Out of box support will do BIS which has OWA conduits. If you can use Outlook Web Access now to your corporate Exchange server, you can use BIS. This will give you your Inbox folder with emails available from point in time that tie-in to account is setup. No subfolder support however, you'll need BES for that. Sent items from your Storm will go to Sent Items on your Exchange account and viewable in Outlook under Sent Items. Deleted items form your Storm can also be deleted form Exchange account and will go to Deleted Items on that account and viewable in Outlook.

Sync will be available via Desktop Manager with a USB cable for your calendar and address book... so no OTA for that unless you have BES.

You can most certainly use it this way unless you have a constant need for up to the minute changes to your contacts and calendar which would be done by someone else at your office (assistant or something) and you need them instantly changed on your Storm.

Oh yeah, read items on the Storm will be marked as read in Outlook as well. Changing them back to unread status will do the same back to Outlook.
    I agree with Civic, BIS works very well, all you need is the ability to access email via OWA. You can get the server name by logging into your mailbox manager or contacting your IT dept. Besides that, BIS is a little slower than BES- I tested both out using my curve(BIS) and my boss's curve(BES). For $15 less a month it works out pretty good.
    11-18-08 11:15 AM
    I am new to bberry too, just got a curve while I wait for my storm. I set up 4 email accounts and my calendar on BIS very easily with the caveats JRSCCivic98 mentions. just email address and password needed for Gmail, hotmail, business pop, another client's OWA. calendar is a bit more difficult. I sync outlook (desktop) to google calendar using google's sync, and bberry to google also using google sync. All free. My calendar updates eventually, as opposed to immediately, or when I force syncs to happen, otherwise it is all ok
    11-18-08 11:16 AM
    Any ideas how to tell BIS to use OWA instead of POP? I've an exchange server at work (Small Business Ed), and has both OWA and POP, would prefer it to use OWA (sent items is why) but no idea how to specify one over the other.

FYI I use message rules to put BCCs into the Sent Items, but that stops me emailing myself (which I do now and again) on purpose.
    11-18-08 01:01 PM
    I'm new to the Blackberry world (haven't actually joined yet until I can get a Storm) but I can't figure out how I'm going to get my corporate Exchange email on my Storm. My company does not and will not have a BES and they only support a smartphone with "activesync".

My requirements are:
    -send/receive emails from my Storm and have them in my appear in my outlook folders as well (especially email sent from my Storm needs to be in my "sent" folder
    -sycn calendar events between outlook/storm
    -sync contacts between outlook/storm.

So, is this possible and if so, what are the requirements? Will this be a reliable experience? BTW, I'm with Verizon now and I'll need to understand what plan to purchase to support this.
    I am also in the same boat. What I plan to do is set up BIS like others have said for e-mail and just pay an extra 4.00/month for Thinkpost.net. they have a program that sync's your contacts and calendar as well as tasks to outlook without using BES. I think it may be a manual sync, but that's not bad for contacts and calendar sync OTA. I checked out Astrasync, but they have too many licensing issues going on with RIM and they only support MS outlook 2007. I am on 2003. Hope this helps.
    11-18-08 01:12 PM
    To use OWA you need the server OWA hosts the mail on. It is usually NOT exchange.yourcompany.com, you have to be able to log into the manager setup of OWA to look at the server name. What website do you use to access your email?
    11-18-08 01:48 PM
    To use OWA you need the server OWA hosts the mail on. It is usually NOT exchange.yourcompany.com, you have to be able to log into the manager setup of OWA to look at the server name. What website do you use to access your email?
    No worries about server access, OWA is currently accessed via www. coname .com / exchange that takes you to OWA logon page, and onto OWA.
    11-18-08 01:57 PM
    or he can get astrasync which should have 2003 support soon
    11-18-08 04:22 PM
    No worries about server access, OWA is currently accessed via www. coname .com / exchange that takes you to OWA logon page, and onto OWA.
    Yeah, OWA urls are usually something along the lines of that. Also, you can do an advnced setup for BIS if you do it through the BIS portal website for your carrier. You can change the account type between POP/OWA/IMAP4 if per chance you have a company that opened up the world.

BTW, one small thing to keep in mind. The automatic email setup for BIS when using OWA as a conduit guesses and tries to use your email address (the beginning part before the @) as your username for the logon. Some companies will setup accounts as follows.

Joe Blow
    [email protected]
    but the username is jblow. The issue here is the BIS wizard will try and use joeblow as the username, so if you get an error about unable to log in, just go into advanced and check your username and password. Just a little FYI.
    11-18-08 04:35 PM
    Wow, thanks for the information. My company uses: owa.company.com
    So that should allow me to use BIS and get my emails that way. I've also heard back from Astrasync and they will be releasing a version that supports Exchange 2003 soon. So if I don't like the BIS method I may elect to try their product.

So bottom line, if I get a Storm, I should tell Verizon I need the BIS data plan? Is that correct? Or am I still not understanding this completely.

Again, thanks.
    11-19-08 09:59 AM
    Not to through a wrench in anyone's plans, but just because you are using OWA does not mean you can DEFINITELY use BIS. We use OWA 07 and you can not setup your phone through BIS. When we were on 03 back in April it worked fine, once we upgraded it was no longer possible. Our Sys. Admin tells me it has something to do with our URL. To access our OWA email we use http://webmail.*company name*.com. No /exchange afterwards.
    11-19-08 10:02 AM
    Not to through a wrench in anyone's plans, but just because you are using OWA does not mean you can DEFINITELY use BIS. We use OWA 07 and you can not setup your phone through BIS. When we were on 03 back in April it worked fine, once we upgraded it was no longer possible. Our Sys. Admin tells me it has something to do with our URL. To access our OWA email we use http://webmail.*company name*.com. No /exchange afterwards.
    Same here. For me:

OWA 2003, no problem.
    OWA 2007, doesn't work.
    11-19-08 10:30 AM
    Same here. For me:

OWA 2003, no problem.
    OWA 2007, doesn't work.

try using the external ip of your network. The one ip that it is used for OWA and IIS.

so do like 2.2.2.2/exchange or 2.2.2.2/owa

Also is it using http or https? Does it have an ssl cert?
    11-19-08 11:47 AM
    Same here. For me:

OWA 2003, no problem.
    OWA 2007, doesn't work.
    Works fine for me... maybe it's the url thing like the previous poster said. Ours is exch.wouldntyouliketoknow.com/owa
    11-19-08 11:52 AM

Talk to your IT department and get them to set it as /exchange. makes life so much easier.

EDIT: In fact why in the world didn't he do it after the migration. obviously somebody doesn't know what they are doing. But hey nobody is perfect
    Last edited by Boots4283; 11-19-08 at 12:20 PM.
    11-19-08 12:18 PM
    Ok.There are way too many posts out there and my head is spinning trying to grasp all the different situations. My situation is as follows: I use a POP account for personal email as well as gmail, no problem with those. I also have a work account that is of course on an outlook server. We do not have any Blackberry devices that we use, I am the first one. I can retrieve my email from Outlook Web Access.

So, If I use the Blackberry Desktop redirector and the BIS service will I get my emails wirelessly, via the pushing concept? Also, my calendar and contacts can be synced via cable, correct?

Am I on the right track?

What advantage would I have with BIS vs BES?

Thanks!!
    11-19-08 08:23 PM
    Ok.There are way too many posts out there and my head is spinning trying to grasp all the different situations. My situation is as follows: I use a POP account for personal email as well as gmail, no problem with those. I also have a work account that is of course on an outlook server. We do not have any Blackberry devices that we use, I am the first one. I can retrieve my email from Outlook Web Access.

So, If I use the Blackberry Desktop redirector and the BIS service will I get my emails wirelessly, via the pushing concept? Also, my calendar and contacts can be synced via cable, correct?

Am I on the right track?

What advantage would I have with BIS vs BES?

Thanks!!
    Well if your company offered a BES they would probably tell you. Ask your IT department for the OWA address. Setup your email with BIS, don't use the redirector because if your away and your computer crashes say bye bye to emails.
    11-19-08 09:47 PM
    My question is this: If I dont want work emails, just my contacts and calendar, whats the easiest way to do so?? We may have BES as many managers have BB's but I only have BIS on my plan. <-- Hope that is correct usage/info. Also, I would like my stuff to update real time. I have meeting notices come in 20 minutes before start time and need the info within during the meeting.

I looked into Astrasync and its 50 clams a year. Yes, a small price but I would rather not have to pay.

I was planning on calling IT to find out what the story is but if any of you wonderful Crackberriers can help me stop worrying about this, I would appreciate it.

JC
    11-20-08 05:27 AM
    ok. got a storm and here's what I've done to no avail.

Email Adress:
    [email protected]

Password:

After typing that in it tells me Unable to set up and choose one of the following. I choose "I will provide the settings to add this email account"

Then I choose: "This is my work email account"

Then Choose: Outlook Web Access "I can access my email account using a web browser (outlook Web access)

Then I type in Outlook Web Access URL:
    https://webmail.company.com/exchange

Username:
    mname

Password:
    (already there from before)

Email Address:
    (already there from before)

Mailbox Name:
    work email

It shows "Microsoft Outlook/Exchange up top and says processing (and the 10 times I did this it "processed" for a LONG time) then I get a message that says "Unable to add account. Please check your information and try again."

Any ideas why I get that message. I've got to tell you, on my ipod touch it was very easy to set up email with my Outlook Exchange Server. This is a real pain.

I do use SSL but there was no option for me to turn that on with the Storm (that I found). Could that be the issue?

Please help. I am liking the phone and I don't want to switch to AT&T for the iPhone and I don't want to go thru another couple of years with Windows Mobile.

Thanks.
    11-21-08 12:40 PM
    Oh yea, what about calendar and contacts? How do I get them on there? I'd prefer this was not done thru a manual sync. I'd much rather have it happen OTA.
    11-21-08 12:51 PM
    Noles200, I am pretty sure that you can only sync your contacts and calender with BES, I may be wrong, but that is the gist I have gotten from a lot of researching here. Lastly, do a search for Storm and OWA or Outlook Web Access. I seem to remeber reading one about this problem. Something having to do with entering in the wrong password so you are prompted for more info. Sorry for the vague answer, I have just read way too much in the last few days about the Storm....
    11-21-08 01:00 PM
    Thanks striper. I'll try to search for that. A google search didn't do much for me but I'll keep searching here to see what I can find.
    11-21-08 01:28 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD