I was playing around with a few settings in firefox today and noticed that you could "turn your Firefox into an Iphone" on a web site. search google for "How to turn Firefox into an iPhone? - Lifehacking - Tips & Tricks for Everyday Life" to see what i mean.

So my question is, could you do something similar to your blackberry storm with its browser identification settings. If you look at facebook or even gmail on an iPhone it looks way better than the simple mobile versions, but loads faster than the full page views. Anyone have any ideas how this could be done, or thoughts on this?

Mike
    12-09-08 09:35 PM
    Its generally already there on several web sites.
    12-09-08 09:42 PM
    No, it's not. At least not in the way that gmail or facebook is presented on the iphone. Its a simple browser recognition, thus when these sites recognize your blackberry as blackberry/firefox/IE browser identification, these layouts will not be presented. Moreover, these presentations of these sites have been created specifically for the iphone's features which now the storm shares.
    12-09-08 09:57 PM
    I think you're asking if you could add "iPhone" as a user-agent setting in addition to the existing 3 (BB, IE, FF) for Browser.

My understanding is many of these sites use AJAX when displaying a customized page for the iPhone. So even if you could add iPhone as a user-agent string for Browser, those sites would not display on the Browser due to lack of AJAX support.
    12-09-08 10:11 PM
    iphone.facebook.com

try that from your Storm. It shows up, but not exactly the way it should.

Maybe sites will just start to make Storm versions same way they did for the iPhone
    12-09-08 10:15 PM
    iphone.facebook.com

try that from your Storm. It shows up, but not exactly the way it should.

Maybe sites will just start to make Storm versions same way they did for the iPhone
    Or hopefully:
    1. RIM adds full AJAX and flash support
    2. RIM + Apple + Opera + FF + others standardize on a smartphone web display standard
    3. Web page developers develop to that one standard so you get the cool features whether you're using an iPhone, BB, or other phone.
    12-09-08 10:18 PM
    Or hopefully:
    1. RIM adds full AJAX and flash support
    2. RIM + Apple + Opera + FF + others standardize on a smartphone web display standard
    3. Web page developers develop to that one standard so you get the cool features whether you're using an iPhone, BB, or other phone.
    Well yea, that would be cool.
    12-09-08 10:20 PM
    that that would be cool!
    12-09-08 10:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD