Okay, I currently have a blackberry pearl, and am looking to upgrade. Do I go with the Storm? Give me your best opinion on this one. Please give me your feelings (pros and cons) and some kind of rating (1-5) on what you think.

Thanks!
    01-30-09 12:24 PM
    I've only ever played with my brother's, and I can say I would buy one once the hardware issues are sorted and some decent games come out for it, hopefully when RIM launches its app store. Also, I would like it better if they made scrolling a bit smoother as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 12:28 PM
    If you have read through the Storm forum, I can't believe you are asking this. It's very split as to people that love it and people that hate it. The best advice to give you is to go to VZW and play around with it. If you're up for ne2 then go get it and try it out for 30 days, get a curve or something if it doesn't work out. Only you will be able to decide whether you like it.

Right now you want people to convince you to get it, but if we do and you don't like it then you become one of those that begin trashing us for telling you to get it...

just go decide for yourself. that's what all of us hav had to do
    01-30-09 12:34 PM
    It all depends on what you want in a phone. If you want a flashy, ohh ahh phone, and you have the need to endlessly tweak and play with your phone and/or put up with its idiosyncrasies and/or you don't heavily rely on your phone and ONLY your phone for communication, the Storm could work for you.

You might even get lucky and have no issues whatsoever. It does happen.

However, if you want a device that works day in and day out without much of a hassle but isn't as flashy and grabs less attention, then choose a different Blackberry (though not the Bold - it also has some issues)

It's like the choice between an old Lamborghini and an Accura Sedan. If you don't mind tinkering with the gorgeous girl, go for the Storm, but if you want to just turn the key and go day after day for 200k miles... pick the 8900.

The 30 day trial should give you an idea if you want to keep it. You should just give it a shot and decide for yourself, of course.
    01-30-09 12:35 PM
    You will like it especially coming from a Pearl. Go for it
    01-30-09 12:35 PM
    For you, I would hold off on using your NE2 credit for the Storm at the moment. Wait for them to get the software updates out for it because it sucks to buy a phone and not be happy with it and have to pay for a $35 restockfee to get another phone. There a bunch of new phones coming out between now and early summer.
    01-30-09 12:58 PM
    For you, I would hold off on using your NE2 credit for the Storm at the moment. Wait for them to get the software updates out for it because it sucks to buy a phone and not be happy with it and have to pay for a $35 restockfee to get another phone. There a bunch of new phones coming out between now and early summer.
    None as highly touted as the Storm however (by Verizon, not by the media)
    01-30-09 01:01 PM
    I'd say ultimately you need to make up your own mind. You have to use the phone on a regular basis, so if you don't like it, what anyone else thinks of it really means bugger all.

Go play with a demo unit at the local VZW store, and see whether you like it or not. Just keep in mind that they are demo models, and thus subject to unusual amounts of abuse. So while they can give you some idea, they aren't going to be perfect.
    01-30-09 04:00 PM
    Wait 1 more month.. maybee 2.. Also check out what the Palm Pre will have to offer.. I'm pissed at this phone. 2 crashes right in front of iPhone people had them on the ground laughing.. Then the 5 minutes to boot the phone had them back on the ground.

Wait another Month.. don't get sucked in the Beta OS's as they just let "most" people down.

With that said.. RIM is REALLY REALLY working hard on the OS.. the Beta OS's that have been leaked have been progressively getting better... but still crash and are unstable. the current stable OS .75 is VERY laggy and you pretty much can't use the touchscreen buttons while trying to pick up a phone call. I say Wait a month for a release or 2 more.
    Last edited by destro23; 01-30-09 at 04:06 PM.
    01-30-09 04:03 PM
    Hold of on the Storm, just look at the Storm OS forum, people are clamoring for a decent OS....
    "When is .96 going to be leaked"
    "They almost have the media card bug smashed"
    "My phone is responsive with .90, but I have to pull that battery three times a day"

I would hold off on the storm till OS 4.8.x.x
    01-30-09 04:10 PM
    I can't look anyone in the eye and say the phone is great go and get it..
    01-30-09 04:22 PM
    to be honest, sometimes i wish i waited on using my ne2 and signing a 2 year contract for the niagra (verizon's bold) to come out. i am thinking i would rather have a qwerty.

typing is the one and only hate i have of the storm.
    01-30-09 04:25 PM
    to be honest, sometimes i wish i waited on using my ne2 and signing a 2 year contract for the niagra (verizon's bold) to come out. i am thinking i would rather have a qwerty.

typing is the one and only hate i have of the storm.
    This phone is no longer a "one hander"
    01-30-09 04:58 PM
    You want a phone that works PROPERLY 60% of the time buy the Storm.

Pros: Large Screen
    Cons: Too much to list

Rating: 1

01-30-09 05:11 PM
    Palm Pre !
    01-30-09 05:55 PM
    I would think, after reading ALL these posts, your mind would be made up..If you are having any doubts, go read the playstation 3 forums and ask if they have in game chat 2 years after the system is released...among other things SONY never delivered on....

If the STORM forums resemble anything, it's the PS3 forums.

1. Just hang on, they're gonna fix it
    2. Wait till those updates come
    3. It takes time to get software updates out
    4. We'll show them who has the superior phone
    5. Wait till those updates come
    6. yada yada yada

get my drift?
    Last edited by fastharry; 01-30-09 at 06:18 PM.
    01-30-09 05:56 PM
    I love mine. It isn't for everyone though. My phone works 100% of the time on the official Os. On the leak if say 90%. Don't listen to cereal killer he doesn't even own one never has. If give it a 4 out of 5. Better Os and ill give it a 4.5

01-30-09 05:57 PM
    I would think, after reading ALL these posts, your mind would be made up..If you are having any doubts, go read the playstation 3 forums and ask if they have in game chat 2 years after the system is released...among other things SONY never delivered on....

If the STORM forums resemble anything, it's the PS3 forums.

1. Just hang on, they're gonna fix it
    2. Wait till those updates come
    3. It takes time to get software updates out
    4. We'll show them who has the superior phone
    5. Wait till those updates come
    6. yada yada yada

get my drift?
    Well it depends what angle you approach it from.

Conversely, you could view the Storm as a momentous hardware failure.

Like the Xbox360. From launch day til today, the hardware section of the 360 forums are littered with posts regarding overheating, freezing, crashing, the red rings of death, etc... etc...

Which, as much as I like the Storm, seems to plague our device as well.
    01-30-09 06:22 PM
    Get a Curve, for one simple reason:

It works.
    01-30-09 07:57 PM
    Get a Curve, for one simple reason:

It works.
    Meh, played with one in the store. It's plasticky. It's about to be replaced. It's got that "been there done that" feeling about it. PASS
    01-30-09 10:39 PM
    Curve works great! No issues. I will upgrade to the Bold when it drops. The Storm is a flop

01-30-09 11:14 PM
    Curve works great! No issues. I will upgrade to the Bold when it drops. The Storm is a flop

Reviled by Reviewers, BlackBerry's Storm Rages On | Gadget Lab from Wired.com

Flop? I think not.
    01-30-09 11:17 PM
    If you can I'd get the Bold.
    It has had its share of small issues (mostly the build quality in my opinion) but don't be fooled into thinking it has as many issue as the Storm.
    That's just not true.
    Try all your options and consider carrier coverage in your area!

01-30-09 11:23 PM
    Rating: 5

My phone works 100% of the time on the official Os .75
    The few issues I have had are user related...but, hey, it's my first BB..there is a learning curve.
    01-30-09 11:38 PM
    Get a jitter bug...
    One simple reason...it just works.

01-30-09 11:49 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD