I hav enever had a phone with a sim card before. Should I be saving my contacts to the "Sim Phonebook" and if so, what is the best way to go about this?
    04-22-10 12:46 PM
    It's not necessary to save your contacts to the SIM card. The only time this would be usefull is if planning to swap SIM cards with another phone and utilize that phone with your SIM card. This will allow you to use a friends phone, but the phone would operate as if it was yours.

On the blackberries I haven't tried this, but on an older Motorola phone that used SIM cards, I could not save all of my contact information on the SIM card, compared to the phones memory, only basic info like name and number.
    04-22-10 12:50 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much about. The SIM phonebook is only really convenient if you plan on using a SIM in multiple units, so that you'll have access to frequently used numbers, but since that SIM card isn't even really a SIM card, I doubt you would be able to use it in that way.

SIMs only have a limited amount of memory, and only hold very basic info anyway (name, primary number), so it's not even possible to backup all of your contact info onto it anyway.

Just make sure you use DM to backup your device, or use an alternative contact backup/sync method and you should be fine.
    04-22-10 12:51 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much about. The SIM phonebook is only really convenient if you plan on using a SIM in multiple units, so that you'll have access to frequently used numbers, but since that SIM card isn't even really a SIM card, I doubt you would be able to use it in that way.

SIMs only have a limited amount of memory, and only hold very basic info anyway (name, primary number), so it's not even possible to backup all of your contact info onto it anyway.

Just make sure you use DM to backup your device, or use an alternative contact backup/sync method and you should be fine.
    Absolutely right. Spent 30 minutes on the phone with Verizon when I got my Storm 1. She explained the same thing to me. VZW offers that back-up assistant for free now. I used it without issue. Its an option.
    04-22-10 12:53 PM
    Thank you guys very much. Sorry I keep asking newbish questions but I am just trying to figure out my storms capabilities and how to get it to work the best ha ha. I really haven't found very many apps or anything that seem like I would use them. I was pretty bummed about that and my only other problem with it is that I type so fast that the words are behind me so I have to wait for it to catch up.
    04-22-10 01:14 PM
    A SIM card (not sure if the Vodafone one in Verizon's phones will work this way) has only enough room for 250 contacts. One contact is one name and one number, that's all, so if a contact has more then one number it will count as two on the SIM card. No other info is stored though.

The default BB address book is much more capable. You can hold more information in one contact than a whole SIM card can hold.

Backing up on Device Manager is the best way to go, Verizon backup assistant could maybe work for you though. I backup my phone weekly, so I have no use for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-10 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD