I'm trying to figure out the best program to use for contacts. I have tried a few things such as Google Sync and Yahoo. The issue I'm trying to make easier is the categories in the Blackberry contacts. I want to find something that will allow editing of current contacts along with the categories. I also would like to be able to add new contacts including all info that I use now including categories. If this is possible at this time that would be great. If not I hope it is soon. I have over 1000 contacts which make categories very useful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 07:24 PM
    I use Outlook 2003. It synchs categories with the BlackBerry perfectly. You can create contacts and categories on both the BlackBerry and Outlook and synch bidirectionally.
    01-13-09 10:34 PM
    I use Outlook 2003. It synchs categories with the BlackBerry perfectly. You can create contacts and categories on both the BlackBerry and Outlook and synch bidirectionally.
    I kinda figured that Outlook would work but I am trying to steer clear of using Outlook if I can. I'm not a big Outlook fan and I don't even have it on my laptop. I use Novell Groupwise for my company email and such at work so no use for it there either. Is there any other options?
    01-14-09 08:05 AM
    I think Groupwise is also supported. I'm on wap and can't post the link, but look at RIM's site. They list the compatible pim's. I'm pretty sure some version of Groupwise is on the list.

01-14-09 08:09 AM
    I think Groupwise is also supported. I'm on wap and can't post the link, but look at RIM's site. They list the compatible pim's. I'm pretty sure some version of Groupwise is on the list.

I will do that and see what I can find. That would make life much easier for me if that was the case. Thanks for the help.
    01-14-09 08:19 AM
    I will do that and see what I can find. That would make life much easier for me if that was the case. Thanks for the help.
    Ok I have tried to sync my addressbook with Groupwise but when I get to the sync options I'm worried as to which option to use. I have some contacts on Groupwise that are updated correctly and some on my phone that are updated correctly. I don't want to replace the entire addressbook on Groupwise with my phone or vice versa. The two way sync worries me because I sure as heck don't want both to end up in my phone and Groupwise. Anybody have an idea as to the best way to make this work?
    01-14-09 10:58 AM
    I've never used Groupwise, but Outlook synchs intelligently. It merges the two address books into one that is identical on both the BlackBerry and the PC. If there are entries in both places that have the same name but different content, the synch process asks you to manually merge them, keeping the fields from each that you want. Once you get through that one-time cleanup, everything's automatic. I would assume Groupwise works the same way.
    01-14-09 11:38 AM
    I've never used Groupwise, but Outlook synchs intelligently. It merges the two address books into one that is identical on both the BlackBerry and the PC. If there are entries in both places that have the same name but different content, the synch process asks you to manually merge them, keeping the fields from each that you want. Once you get through that one-time cleanup, everything's automatic. I would assume Groupwise works the same way.
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping it worked that way but I wasn't for sure. Just in case I did a sync with Google Sync so at least I have the info on my phone backed up. I had so many problems with sync in the past with my Windows Mobile phone that I just quit doing it. I'm hoping this is a much smoother process.
    01-14-09 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD