I think many would agree that the contact list simply isn't efficient. Odd considering Blackberry prides itself on function over form. It'd be great if a future build would update the address book to something a little bit more like that on the IPhone.
    Now, before everybody starts telling me to get an IPhone, let me say this. I don't want an Iphone. I want a feature of the IPhone. Love it or Hate It, Apple did quite a few things right with their UI and RIM could stand to learn a few things. Scrolling through a long list of contacts is highly inefficient. Even to have to type in a search, it involves any number of clicks. Remember, we're looking for function over form and as great as the phone is, making a phone call simply isn't one of the phone's strongest features.
    02-26-09 10:57 AM
    I think many would agree that the contact list simply isn't efficient. Odd considering Blackberry prides itself on function over form. It'd be great if a future build would update the address book to something a little bit more like that on the IPhone.
    Now, before everybody starts telling me to get an IPhone, let me say this. I don't want an Iphone. I want a feature of the IPhone. Love it or Hate It, Apple did quite a few things right with their UI and RIM could stand to learn a few things. Scrolling through a long list of contacts is highly inefficient. Even to have to type in a search, it involves any number of clicks. Remember, we're looking for function over form and as great as the phone is, making a phone call simply isn't one of the phone's strongest features.
    The Iphone operates the exact same way. Click contacts, click in the search bar and start typing. Not sure what you are looking for.
    02-26-09 10:59 AM
    How does iphone do it ?

I use facecall (get it free from the apps section) really nice, easy & quick app for my main contacts, others i still use the standard contacts, dont see a big problem with it.
    02-26-09 11:00 AM
    The Iphone operates the exact same way. Click contacts, click in the search bar and start typing. Not sure what you are looking for.
    You can jump easily to specific letters on the Iphone. Plus, it'd be nice to take further advantage of the touch screen. For example. hold your finger on a name and have a window pop up giving you options (i.e., call, sms, email). Having to hit the BB button isn't efficient. Personally, I find that the phone relies too heavily on the BB button and not enough on the screen.
    02-26-09 11:05 AM
    I definitely do agree that it needs work although I have no worthwhile suggestions at the moment

with that said, I am all for incorporating every great i-phone function that is lesser on the BB, and of course does not infringe on patent issues. Additionally, keep all of the things the BB is great at (obviously). This way you have the best of both worlds, all without having to appear as another marketing sheep with an apple.
    02-26-09 11:06 AM
    You can jump easily to specific letters on the Iphone. Plus, it'd be nice to take further advantage of the touch screen. For example. hold your finger on a name and have a window pop up giving you options (i.e., call, sms, email). Having to hit the BB button isn't efficient. Personally, I find that the phone relies too heavily on the BB button and not enough on the screen.
    Redundancy would be nice maybe...i.e. having the option of relying on the screen more OR using the BB button
    02-26-09 11:06 AM
    Thats Iphone function is more of a hold over from the previous os that didnt even have a search function. Talk about inefficient. And holding the screen or pressing a button is really the same thing. Touch screen phones will always be at a disadvantage becuase of the lack of physical key board that you can just start typing on. Its a sacrifice, no doubt.

We should be thankfull we have voice dialing. Not even an option of the iphone.
    02-26-09 11:09 AM
    You can jump easily to specific letters on the Iphone.
    If you are in contacts & show the keyboard & then select a letter it jumps to names, is that different ?

hold your finger on a name and have a window pop up giving you options (i.e., call, sms, email).
    the facecall app i mentioned above does that, you click on the name / photo rather than hold/hover.
    02-26-09 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD