While I will agree with the OP regarding that the responsibility of RIM with the consumer THROUGH the carriers is there, I will say that adopting a 1st generation device or product has it's risks.

I do believe RIM should make every attempt to bring this device to a level expected of a device that is to be used daily and with very little complications. However, I believe that RIM IS doing just this based on the "leaked" versions of the OS we've seen in what, 2 months or LESS?! From the time I got my phone (.65) I have seen .75, .76 (Bell), .83, .85, .86 and now .90. SIX attempts at correcting or changing the OS to be better, function better and overall satisfy the carriers who are looking to KEEP customers, not lose them.

Now, if in a year or descent amount of time Verizon/Bell/Rogers/etc. doesn't provide a "thank you" to those who have stuck with them and continued through the growing pains even though we had a chance to leave....well, then I'll be disappointed in Verizon for not taking care of their own.

And what I would refer to is possibly Verizon giving the people who stuck it out a deal on the 2nd generation of the Storm or even a free month's BB service or SOMETHING. I think THAT would be fair to any and all who have persevered through the issues from the get go. Having said that, I'm not really one of those that had problems. so hopefully I can ride the coattails of all who did.
    01-26-09 12:36 PM
    And what I would refer to is possibly Verizon giving the people who stuck it out a deal on the 2nd generation of the Storm or even a free month's BB service or SOMETHING. I think THAT would be fair to any and all who have persevered through the issues from the get go. Having said that, I'm not really one of those that had problems. so hopefully I can ride the coattails of all who did.
    LOL, wishful thinking. Besides, VZN is probably going to blame user error for all these issues anyway.
    01-26-09 12:37 PM
    All the firmwares have their problems. I agree there. But I also can see an improvement with every new os. I can see where the Storm is going and I for one am liking it a lot. It will take sometime, but I feel we will have a great os to go with this Excellent hardware. I am not giving no excuses for Rim/Vzw. In the long run we will look back at all the sobbing and whining and laugh!

My 2 cents! ~Enjoy!
    01-26-09 03:16 PM
    I agree with the others. Let the folks at RIM work the bugs out and stay away from the leaked versions. I have been on .75 since it was released and have had to do only one bettery pull. Other than that, I have no problems and I love the device.
    01-26-09 03:23 PM
    The Storm Rocks.
    01-26-09 06:36 PM
    Oh, trust me I am not going to send the device back. RIM didn't do anything new here; they adapted an existing OS to a touch screen so to miss simple things as sound quality and reception are unacceptable. Look at it this way, if you don't stand up and push RIM to make some serious updates to this device then you will be settling for a mediocre device that cost you $200.

What I am suggesting is this... As consumers we do the responsible thing and contact the manufacture and ask them to care about their consumers by making the needed updates.

"Customers who complain are customers who care about your company" and that is the truth. If I didn't care I would bounce this thing down the road like a tin can.
    So what do you want us to do?

Wave our little Picket Signs and Make Cutesy little Slogans to Chant somewhere in Canada? Hold Hands Too Maybe?

Get a Grip.

RIM Won't Care if you do that.

What's ONE Boycott going to do?

A Single User, or Even the Small percentage of Storm Owners that Have Had Defective Devices is Empirically Irrelevant to RIM.

Let's Be Realistic and Not Childish.

Tantrums Won't Get us No Where.
    01-26-09 06:40 PM
    I'll stand by RIM and help swat down the legions of people who can't appreciate the device.

Bought my Storm beginning of December and have been thrilled with it since.

Head, in sand, buried.

LOL, wishful thinking. Besides, VZN is probably going to blame user error for all these issues anyway.
    Oh, so you are admitting that these are NOT user errors after all huh?
    01-27-09 01:43 PM
    My fellow Crackberry friends I believe we must take real action and stand up to RIM. As consumers we should not take the lack of consumer consideration. The internet is a powerful tool, but we should begin contacting RIM again and again until this expensive device's programming errors are corrected.
    You're effing crazy. Stand up to RIM?
    Why don't you stand up for something more meaningful like millions of children dying of starvation every year? How about that you whiny complaining baby! RIM IS working on fixes. I doubt you know how to write code, and implement it flawlessly into a device that wasn't RnD'd for years privately before going public with its concept to consumer rush (which has already been admitted by the CEO)

The rest of your post is just misguided and plain old useless.
    Whenever YOU bought your Storm, I can say for a FACT you learned of the issues within the Storm, FACT. SO, you could have easily returned it within the 30days and could have chosen an alternative...If not then you live underneath rocks.

Glitches happen in life, unless you own a Mac.
    This is what the rest of us call LIFE... Things happen...

Learn to adapt or cry, baby cry. -This will fall on deaf ears.
    RIM IS aware of the problems. They're not stuffing their faces eating Costco sized bags of Cheetos Laughing their asses off scrolling through this section, k?

Give it up, do something meaningful. Read a book, run for congress, make a change constructively, but PLEASE don't ***** about a new item so new to market. I'm more than sure your intelligence could have seen this coming, OR your reasoning could have deduced that this product was rushed.

Have you seen your instruction manual?
    Exactly.
    01-27-09 02:25 PM
    You're effing crazy. Stand up to RIM?
    Why don't you stand up for something more meaningful like millions of children dying of starvation every year? How about that you whiny complaining baby! RIM IS working on fixes. I doubt you know how to write code, and implement it flawlessly into a device that wasn't RnD'd for years privately before going public with its concept to consumer rush (which has already been admitted by the CEO)

The rest of your post is just misguided and plain old useless.
    Whenever YOU bought your Storm, I can say for a FACT you learned of the issues within the Storm, FACT. SO, you could have easily returned it within the 30days and could have chosen an alternative...If not then you live underneath rocks.

Glitches happen in life, unless you own a Mac.
    This is what the rest of us call LIFE... Things happen...

Learn to adapt or cry, baby cry. -This will fall on deaf ears.
    RIM IS aware of the problems. They're not stuffing their faces eating Costco sized bags of Cheetos Laughing their asses off scrolling through this section, k?

Give it up, do something meaningful. Read a book, run for congress, make a change constructively, but PLEASE don't ***** about a new item so new to market. I'm more than sure your intelligence could have seen this coming, OR your reasoning could have deduced that this product was rushed.

Have you seen your instruction manual?
    Exactly.
    First let me get something strait. You think I am some heartless *******. All I am asking is for a company to stand behind their product.

I do my charitable work. I foster homeless animals, raise money for Lymphoma and Leukemia. I also support local charities and donate. So it has nothing to do with my personal agenda.

To the rest of the forum: I want the STORM, but I want it to perform. I want it to perform as advertised. Yes, VZW is at fault as well, but RIM is the company that can fix the OS bugs. Maybe if VZW didn't promote this device as the greatest thing since sliced bread people would not be upset. Will it get there, yes, but once another device has been released.

I think RIM made a few mistakes along the way and was it rushed, yes...

To force a company to correct the mistakes of a product you must be willing to fight back. Trust me RIM and VZW will never admit to a faulty product or design and they are less likely to refund your money. Do you think RIM would recall all STORMs to fix the dust problem under the screen, most likely not, but a car manufacture would replace something as small as a light bulb in your car on their dime if a recall was needed.

On a side note I have run into some other issues with the device.

1. The device is constantly resetting itself even when sitting on the table.

2. Gap in screen to allow dust - I am glad we all have plastic wrap as an accessory, do you think RIM and VZW will pass out Glad?

3. In the middle of typing an e-mail my camera started and showed up in the upper left corner of the screen, not sure why... It would not go away for about 10 minutes.

4. I was watching a movie and decided to exit, the screen went blank and the audio of the movie continued. Not sure what happened. Hit the end key about 20 times and it finally went to the main screen.

5. Why in the world does the hour glass run so darn much on my device? This is my second one too. The first one did not do this. The hour glass (clock) icon will run even when I hit lock. Not sure what the issue is there.

6. Could the camera get any worse, I think it is slower each day. I know this is a big issue.

Hopefully RIM will have all the issues fixed.

As consumers if we do not stay critical they will take our money and run.

I think today I am going to load .90 to check it out.
    01-28-09 09:02 AM
    I've only had my Storm for two weeks and have had no issues as discussed here including dust. I 'm running .75 . Talked with a VZW sales rep today while picking up screen protectors and he said the return rate was 52% initially, so quality control is certainly an issue.

Having said all that, I count myself lucky to have gotten a good one.... I really like this phone!
    01-28-09 11:11 AM
    First let me get something strait. You think I am some heartless *******. All I am asking is for a company to stand behind their product.

I do my charitable work. I foster homeless animals, raise money for Lymphoma and Leukemia. I also support local charities and donate. So it has nothing to do with my personal agenda.

To the rest of the forum: I want the STORM, but I want it to perform. I want it to perform as advertised. Yes, VZW is at fault as well, but RIM is the company that can fix the OS bugs. Maybe if VZW didn't promote this device as the greatest thing since sliced bread people would not be upset. Will it get there, yes, but once another device has been released.

I think RIM made a few mistakes along the way and was it rushed, yes...

To force a company to correct the mistakes of a product you must be willing to fight back. Trust me RIM and VZW will never admit to a faulty product or design and they are less likely to refund your money. Do you think RIM would recall all STORMs to fix the dust problem under the screen, most likely not, but a car manufacture would replace something as small as a light bulb in your car on their dime if a recall was needed.

On a side note I have run into some other issues with the device.

1. The device is constantly resetting itself even when sitting on the table.

2. Gap in screen to allow dust - I am glad we all have plastic wrap as an accessory, do you think RIM and VZW will pass out Glad?

3. In the middle of typing an e-mail my camera started and showed up in the upper left corner of the screen, not sure why... It would not go away for about 10 minutes.

4. I was watching a movie and decided to exit, the screen went blank and the audio of the movie continued. Not sure what happened. Hit the end key about 20 times and it finally went to the main screen.

5. Why in the world does the hour glass run so darn much on my device? This is my second one too. The first one did not do this. The hour glass (clock) icon will run even when I hit lock. Not sure what the issue is there.

6. Could the camera get any worse, I think it is slower each day. I know this is a big issue.

Hopefully RIM will have all the issues fixed.

As consumers if we do not stay critical they will take our money and run.

I think today I am going to load .90 to check it out.
    I understand where you're coming from 100%. I support RIM and my Storm is on the way after reading and researching i believe i'll weather the Storm just fine. It also helps that i have a 8900 that's flawless but thats another story.

Anyway posting this on this forum is useless because unfortunately most Storm owners are in denial about the device. I guess if you lie to yourself enough times saying the Storm is flawless you will start to believe it.
    01-28-09 11:24 AM
    Talked with a VZW sales rep today while picking up screen protectors and he said the return rate was 52% initially, so quality control is certainly an issue.
    If initial return rate was really 52%, which I doubt, then most returns where from people who wanted a RIM IPhone. Not a RIM Storm. I have to believe that too many people where so stuck in the IPhone thinking that the Storm didn't compare. And it should not compare totally different device. Others where wanting a perfect phone outa the box with a fully setup App Store and everything else that it has taken years for the IPhone to accomplish.

Storm will only get better with time. If you give it a little. If you don't want to wait have a go at one of RIM's other fine products. Just stick with Blackberry. You can't go wrong.
    01-28-09 12:10 PM
    Agreed. He may have been talking locally. The rep also said it was his sense that a lot of people were not willing to take the time to learn how to use the phone (first time BB users). He seemed optimistic that coming updates would address a lot of the glitches that have occurred.
    01-28-09 12:44 PM
    VZW chose to release this phone when they did. they are the ones doing the majority of the storm's marketing, and the only provider of this phone. They are the ones who decided that .65 was 'good enough' for the public.

I can't and won't speak for telus and bell since i dont know their return policies, but again, if you aren't happy with waiting, you should take the phone back and wait until a stable, better performing OS comes out. Pretend the storm won't be released until next month or March, whenever they get a close to perfect OS.

Give up trying to 'rally against RIM', they didn't decide to release it to us with .65, VZW did.
    01-28-09 12:52 PM
    I'm not the hugest fan of VZW's policies either but that's the power they wield as the market leader.
    01-28-09 12:57 PM
    I've only had my Storm for two weeks and have had no issues as discussed here including dust. I 'm running .75 . Talked with a VZW sales rep today while picking up screen protectors and he said the return rate was 52% initially, so quality control is certainly an issue.

Having said all that, I count myself lucky to have gotten a good one.... I really like this phone!
    I will be honest for the first two weeks .75 ran great, then it started down hill.

I will be honest I heard the return rate was very high as well. The return rate is most likely due to the learning curve, lack of user friendly operation like other blackberrys and issues with the OS.
    01-28-09 09:43 PM
    Today was day 30 for me and my Storm. Man I feel like the world's biggest push-over, having gone to the VZW store today to possibly return it -- but having been unable to convince myself to leave it there despite the lameness of the rep's persuasions and counter complaints about my wanting to return the Storm. Maybe her lame complaints doubled the insult value of her challenge to me to step up and really start using the Storm to it's fullest potential -- you know, like she was playing stupid to show submission while simultaneously challenging me to proove my dominance. Ultimately I think I've just spent so long getting to know the Storm and the BB universe, seeing gradual and prominsing improvements, and recognzing how much more I have to learn about integrating PDAs into my life in general -- I couldn't justify going through the hardcore newbie learning experience again with a different device/OS. But more dmning -- I couldn't overcome my own ambivalence and wound up sticking with the new status quo. Lame? She suggested that I take the night to think about it and disclosed that she grants 31 day returns/ exchanges at least once per week...so we'll see. The one lasting argument I have in favor of returning the device is that this is my first PDA (I've managed to build a pretty nice little life so far without using one and have no real pressing need to begin using one at this juncture), it is likely to take a few months at least before the OS feels as though it was built specifically for the Storm, and I can save myself cash by getting back in the game later when/if RIM gets it right (possibly with a more powerful device). Not saying this is a winning argument, but it is the only argument that feels compelling.
    01-29-09 04:24 AM
    I prefer to sit and complain, is that gonna be a problem?

Way I see it..the Bold was launched frack'd up as well and it has slowly gotten better with OS updates. I have gone through 3 of them so far all covered under manufac. warr.

And despite any 30 day policy that may be in effect...You still have a 1 yr from Manufac. that VZW should be honoring under whatever circumstance.

Device functionality falls under manufac. issue.
    01-29-09 04:41 AM
    For starters I am not a novice when it comes to smart phones. My first one was and kyocera 6035 back in 2001. I have had winmo 6.1 devices and iphone 1 and 2 gen. I have also had a couple of blackberries. The reason why I went to a curve is because the first storm I had a was having clicking problems at the bottom of the screen when in portrait mode. And then after that a started getting dust behind the screen via the large gaps around the screen. I was putting the storm in my pocket like I prefer to do. I am not a fan of hip cases at all. Before I get jumped on like I said I am not new to pda's and I don't let my pda's stay virgin for long. If there is a new update I will have it. So yes I had the latest non official .85 on it and for the clicking I tried both the card behind the battery and the tightening of the screws. I did manage to get the screen clicking better but that is something that should have never been an issue if rim would have taken the time to test the storm better before it was released as with the software. Since I didn't feel the need that it was my responsibility to fix their products especially since I couldn't get behind the screen to clean the dust particles that were trapped I took it back to verizon for another storm. Well on the second storm I went ahead and purchased a hip case since I knew rim didn't realize that pocket lint would get behind the screen and along the sides of the screen. This storm had a much better clicking than the first out of the box until I tried to use it in the cold one morning. The screen wouldn't click properly in the cold. The screen would press down and stick in the down position. So I got out the dang t6 wrench that I purchased so I could play around with the dang screws in the back for the screen. Well just put it this way don't use the storm outside if it is in the 20's. I tried to get it to work but it wouldn't. I had to warm it up inside the truck along with my ice cold hands before the screen would click up and down. I did research the problems that I had to make sure I wasn't the only with the cold clicking or warm weather only storm. Others too have had the same problems with storm not liking cold temperatures. Boy I tell you those rim engineers are some smart people aren't they. Heck rim is a canadian company is much colder up there than here in alabama. Well then there where still all the slow and terrible software glitches that still haven't been fixed with the storm. So I took it back also and asked for a curve because my wifes curve was rock solid and this one is too. So I am using this curve until verizon get the bold. The curve to me is much more stable and easier to use than the touch screen. Rim should have never put the storm out because in my opinion it just wasn't ready and I tried to like I really did.
    01-29-09 10:01 AM
    I prefer to sit and complain, is that gonna be a problem?

Way I see it..the Bold was launched frack'd up as well and it has slowly gotten better with OS updates. I have gone through 3 of them so far all covered under manufac. warr.

And despite any 30 day policy that may be in effect...You still have a 1 yr from Manufac. that VZW should be honoring under whatever circumstance.

Device functionality falls under manufac. issue.
    I've said the exact same thing over and over, also about the Bold too! ...but because I have yet to sink $299 or $199 and hundreds of hours fiddling with the devices while sitting on my couch, and instead simply point out what I personally think the problems and solutions are... I'm the bad guy.

This is my 4th account in 24 hours.Thanks Cereal Killer, and Jeep14.
    I think you owe yourself and the mod who was properly active the thanks for this...
    01-29-09 10:08 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD