I'm a Verizon customer who gas carried my curve for 2 years. I'm ready for a change of pace on my upgrade. Been considering the iPhone but it looks like Verizon is once again the bridesmaid with apple.

Would a Storm 2 be a more robust device? The curves ability to whip up a map, for instance, is just a little dry. I love the little guy but I'm ready to step it up.

No flames please

Chaz
    05-29-10 10:55 PM
    why not just give it a try? You've got 30 days to try it. I'm not going to try to convince you to get one just because I like mine. Convince YOURSELF by using one for a month.
    05-29-10 11:41 PM
    I love this device, but there is a general consensus that you either get an excellent device or you may get a lemon. There's too much screen electronics going on that makes clicking and typing very inconsistant at times. Personally, I think the new batch is better constructed, but in the beginning it was extremely problematic and inconsistant, especially with bottom keys, in different temperatures, and on different OS imput screens.

But to be honest, as much as I love my phone now (replacement), I think 256mb of app memory is too small for smartphones today. And with OS 6, webkit, the competition, etc etc, I think you'll need more memory just to keep up with the competition. And since BB already lags behind with its new 512mb standard, imagine starting out your contract with a new device with only 256mb...

you've had your curve for a long time it looks like, so personally, I think the new Bold 9650 would serve you better as far as longevity goes. It has more memory (512), a physical keyboard which is something you're used to already, and it has openGL support and wifi just like the storm anyway.

But I think aside from the memory upgrade, the keyboard will just work when you want it! No lag, no freeze ups, no hard clicks, no problems with the bottom keys or typing while the device is flat! It sounds like I hate the Storm 2, but trust me I dont! You'll just have a bit more consistancy with a physical keyboard rather than all the ropes and bullies.

There's my honest opinion for ya...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-30-10 at 12:06 AM.
    05-30-10 12:03 AM
    Or you could hold out a little while longer until the BB slider is released or the Storm3.
    05-30-10 02:04 AM
    i can only say , go to your local store and play with it, i was completely skeptical about touch screen phones until while i was waiting my turn at the store i was just playing around with it, i can honestly say , i made a good choice.
    05-30-10 06:14 AM
    That's what I would do for another month or two. It think other phones will pop up soon.
    S2 is not a bad phone. If you learn how to use it and don't load it with junky 3rd party apps. All smart phones have issues, even Droids. Find the one you like and works best for you and go for it.

Or you could hold out a little while longer until the BB slider is released or the Storm3.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-10 07:26 AM
    I appreciate these helpful replies. I'm just ready for something new I suppose. I love my curve, but web browsing and mapping is pretty old school in my opinion. But it goes three days on a single charge and that's awesome.

I'm not sure an iphone would be the answer for me but I carry a touch and an ipad. I love them both.

Thabks again for all the friendly input.

Chaz

05-30-10 09:00 AM
    And now that you can tether a jailbroken ipad to the blackberry, its even better!
    No thanks, not going to JB my iPad.
    06-02-10 09:51 AM
    I went from a Curve to a Storm 2 and I have not looked back. I like the bigger screen and now prefer typing on it over the Curve. (My wife still has her Curve so I can compare easily.)

The problem with phones is the next big thing is always only 6 months away. You just need to decide when you want to jump. The Storm 2 is a good device and is a BB if that is important to you. It was for me. E-mail and messaging are my top 2 uses, apps and web browsing are well behind.

There are a bunch of other choices out there, so it depends on your usage as to the best fit.
    06-02-10 09:56 AM
    I love this device, but there is a general consensus that you either get an excellent device or you may get a lemon. There's too much screen electronics going on that makes clicking and typing very inconsistant at times. Personally, I think the new batch is better constructed, but in the beginning it was extremely problematic and inconsistant, especially with bottom keys, in different temperatures, and on different OS imput screens.

But to be honest, as much as I love my phone now (replacement), I think 256mb of app memory is too small for smartphones today. And with OS 6, webkit, the competition, etc etc, I think you'll need more memory just to keep up with the competition. And since BB already lags behind with its new 512mb standard, imagine starting out your contract with a new device with only 256mb...

you've had your curve for a long time it looks like, so personally, I think the new Bold 9650 would serve you better as far as longevity goes. It has more memory (512), a physical keyboard which is something you're used to already, and it has openGL support and wifi just like the storm anyway.

But I think aside from the memory upgrade, the keyboard will just work when you want it! No lag, no freeze ups, no hard clicks, no problems with the bottom keys or typing while the device is flat! It sounds like I hate the Storm 2, but trust me I dont! You'll just have a bit more consistancy with a physical keyboard rather than all the ropes and bullies.

There's my honest opinion for ya...

Well said.

Just be prepared to have a lot of patience with the Storm2 and you'll be okay-ish....
    06-02-10 10:01 AM
    Exactly! I enjoy my phone a lot and even type faster on it now than I did with my old curve, but a lot more things have to go right with the phone for you not to have problems as opposed to a bold which has little room for failure because of its simplicity not having such a technical input method

06-02-10 02:20 PM
    Had a Storm 1 for 2 years... since I have the Storm 2 I have had NONE of the problems I had with the Storm 1. Types better, more memory means more headroom (less lockups and crashes) and it's even faster.... oh, did I mention I love the WiFi for speed at home and on the road with hot spots.... Not sure I'm gonna like the storm 3 .... but will give it a look.... Storm 2 is miles ahead of the Storm 1....

Like someone else said... try it for 30 days and return it if you don't like it. I'm guessing you will like it....
    06-02-10 02:26 PM
    I love my Storm 2. It has never given me any of the problems some of the other people in the forums complain about. The touch screen is pretty cool, and you can enlarge email attachments better than you are used to on your curve.
    06-02-10 02:51 PM
    I've had both the Storm 1 and and 2. Have to agree with most people here that the Storm 2 is way better and does not emit the same issues as the #1 did. You'll need to spend some time adjusting when going from a Curve to a Storm; typing will be at about 60-70% of what you're use to. I personally like the larger display and it offsets any minor discrepancies the it has.
    06-02-10 03:48 PM
    I got my storm 2 yesterday and I would never go back to another phone. Absolutely lovr it!

06-03-10 04:05 AM
    I had a curve and decided to try the droid which is like iphone and I went to the storm 2 because blackberry is a lot better. I prefer blackberry over anything else.

06-03-10 11:41 PM
    I briefly had a Storm 2, but because of the screen button click issue I returned it and didn't get a replacement. I went back to my curve for a while, but am now considering another Storm 2. Mostly because of the bigger screen real estate compared to the size of the curve. That and it us much faster.

I almost picked up an incredible for the bigger screen, but with all of the battery concerns I stayed with the blackberry. I use it for work so its absolutely critical that I can make it through the day on a full charge. I consistently get 2 days out my curve with a standard battery making calls, email, txt and a little web browsing. Good battery life is hard to give up.

I'm wondering if all the new Storms 2's have the screen fix?
    06-04-10 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD