Ok, so Ive been calling around store to store asking about how many Storms they are expecting to have in stock for the release on Friday. Most stores are telling me between 5-15 units. One store I talked to, the lady told me that they were originally suppose to have about 100 for the initial release, but learned today that it would be many less that they were initially suppose to receive. She told me to hang on a second so she could look in the computer at her regional warehouse and see how many are there. She stated that they are showing 6,000 units available in her regional warehouse, which last she knew, covered roughly 100 stores in the Florida Panhandle area.

She stated that with it being Wednesday night already, theres no way that 6,000 is counting all the units that have already been allocated to all the stores. She stated that they are strictly the quantity that is available for drop ship for any of the stores that run out and need to do a order for a customer, to have it shipped to their house, or directly to the store for a customer pick up the next day.

Im starting to lean towards the hype up idea that has been going around tonight. I now honestly believe that each store does not actually know how many they will be receiving, and was sent an email with a bogus number to tell people, just so they can create the frenzy to get people to line up before the store opens.

Im still going to show up early, just because I want to be guaranteed one, but I will be kind of upset with Verizon, that after a 10 year relationship as a customer with them, they would put out this kind of false information just to stir up a frenzy to get publicity. Bad move in my opinion.
    11-19-08 08:55 PM
    Ok, so Ive been calling around store to store asking about how many Storms they are expecting to have in stock for the release on Friday. Most stores are telling me between 5-15 units. One store I talked to, the lady told me that they were originally suppose to have about 100 for the initial release, but learned today that it would be many less that they were initially suppose to receive. She told me to hang on a second so she could look in the computer at her regional warehouse and see how many are there. She stated that they are showing 6,000 units available in her regional warehouse, which last she knew, covered roughly 100 stores in the Florida Panhandle area.

She stated that with it being Wednesday night already, theres no way that 6,000 is counting all the units that have already been allocated to all the stores. She stated that they are strictly the quantity that is available for drop ship for any of the stores that run out and need to do a order for a customer, to have it shipped to their house, or directly to the store for a customer pick up the next day.

Im starting to lean towards the hype up idea that has been going around tonight. I now honestly believe that each store does not actually know how many they will be receiving, and was sent an email with a bogus number to tell people, just so they can create the frenzy to get people to line up before the store opens.

Im still going to show up early, just because I want to be guaranteed one, but I will be kind of upset with Verizon, that after a 10 year relationship as a customer with them, they would put out this kind of false information just to stir up a frenzy to get publicity. Bad move in my opinion.
    I disagree that this is a bad move on Verizon's part. Think about how many iPhones AT&T sold on PURE HYPE alone. Creating artificial shortages creates hype. People give into hype that whole he/she/everyone has it so it must be great. Rest assured I will have my Storm by Saturday just like nearly everyone else who has been stalking this board for a week. But a bad move?? Sorry NOT in the least. I predict 1.2millions launch units will sell out by the end of January with ease simply because not only are there going to be a ton of new VZW users but new blackberry users as well. The touchscreen is NOT a fad. Its here to stay & it just so happens vzw is bringing it out during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season which is also a plus. No my friend, you being upset notwithstanding, this is a GREAT move by VZW.
    11-19-08 09:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD