Is actually kind of funny.

I used to believe that they owed their customers upgrades. Then I woke up and smelled the coffee.

Once you walk out the door with a device they don't owe you anything.

The problem with this scenario is that while they don't owe you anything, they should work towards making the end user experience better, and to a certain extent they do that. They continue development on their devices and pass along those upgrades to the carriers they work with.

The problem with RIM is that can't see 6 months into the future. OS 6.0 is RIM in panic mode. There is no way a device that was released 10 months ago shouldn't be OS 6 compatible. That is inexcusable. It is shoddy and it shows a lack of forsight.

What is stopping them from using better hardware. Why can't they just stick 512 in every device. Why are they still rolling out devices with only 256MB. It makes no sense.

HTC, Samsung, LG, and Motorola don't owe their customers anything either. They do however bust their asses to make sure the product they put out is superier to everything else. Hence the reason the Droid Eris can run Android 2.1 and prolly 2.2 before all is said and done. Yea they haven't and probably won't push them officially but leaks are out there for those devices to run that software. They built the phone and it can run the software.

The Storm from what I have heard is practically unusable running OS 6.0 thats why it won't even leak. Thats shoddy.
    09-01-10 10:29 AM
    Is actually kind of funny.

I used to believe that they owed their customers upgrades. Then I woke up and smelled the coffee.

Once you walk out the door with a device they don't owe you anything.

The problem with this scenario is that while they don't owe you anything, they should work towards making the end user experience better, and to a certain extent they do that. They continue development on their devices and pass along those upgrades to the carriers they work with.

The problem with RIM is that can't see 6 months into the future. OS 6.0 is RIM in panic mode. There is no way a device that was released 10 months ago shouldn't be OS 6 compatible. That is inexcusable. It is shoddy and it shows a lack of forsight.

What is stopping them from using better hardware. Why can't they just stick 512 in every device. Why are they still rolling out devices with only 256MB. It makes no sense.

HTC, Samsung, LG, and Motorola don't owe their customers anything either. They do however bust their asses to make sure the product they put out is superier to everything else. Hence the reason the Droid Eris can run Android 2.1 and prolly 2.2 before all is said and done. Yea they haven't and probably won't push them officially but leaks are out there for those devices to run that software. They built the phone and it can run the software.

The Storm from what I have heard is practically unusable running OS 6.0 thats why it won't even leak. Thats shoddy.
    I don't think droid is superior. To be superior it has to do more, be more in the way I use it. Droid a'int.

So now let's go to town and have yet another Droid vs Storm thread.
    09-01-10 11:22 AM
    I don't think droid is superior. To be superior it has to do more, be more in the way I use it. Droid a'int.

So now let's go to town and have yet another Droid vs Storm thread.
    1. It's "ain't" not "a'int"

2. I don't think the point of Valace's post was a Droid vs BBOS thread. He was just pointing out the differences in hardware/software support.

-Don't start nothin' won't be nothin'
    09-01-10 11:35 AM

2. I don't think the point of Valace's post was a Droid vs BBOS thread. He was just pointing out the differences in hardware/software support.

-Don't start nothin' won't be nothin'
    You hit it pretty much head on. I won't get into a Droid vs Storm debate. There is no debate.
    09-01-10 11:48 AM
    You hit it pretty much head on. I won't get into a Droid vs Storm debate. There is no debate.

that's one way to shut off dissenting opinions...
    09-01-10 11:50 AM
    I'll respond to this since I created "that" thread.

"You owe me an apology"
    "I owe you a beer"
    etc

It has nothing to do with owe as in obligation, it's just a phrase implying whatever they have now is unacceptable. Nobody is asking for os6 on storm2 but the browser is horrible, most of us were under the impression (valid or not) that the RIM was working on a new browser.... But enough of this, if I say the sky is blue you will probably vehemently claim the sky is red; that's the nature of the forums.

If RIM wants to be known as the maker of phones with a crappy browser then so be it, it's only a matter of time before their competitors catches up in the email department.
    09-01-10 12:04 PM
    Tried a droid for a month, went back to my Storm2 with latest hybrid OS. It includes many OS6 files and runs better than ever! Nothing more I need right now. :>)
    09-01-10 04:45 PM
    I agree with the op. A device being eol'ed after 9 month is ridiculous. I have heard many times that rim doesn't owe you anything and I agree. But here is the other have, I'm not obligated to buy another blackberry either. Manufacturers who take care of there customers turn out to get loyalty to from their customers. All I wanted was the better browser. To have to purchase a new device less than a year after u already purchased a different device shows a lack of foresight from RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-10 05:20 PM
    I agree with the op. A device being eol'ed after 9 month is ridiculous. I have heard many times that rim doesn't owe you anything and I agree. But here is the other have, I'm not obligated to buy another blackberry either. Manufacturers who take care of there customers turn out to get loyalty to from their customers. All I wanted was the better browser. To have to purchase a new device less than a year after u already purchased a different device shows a lack of foresight from RIM.

This. It's gotten to the point that with the last outage on top it I'm going to be grinding my teeth for another few months if I don't break down now and just buy another device outright. And it won't be another BB if I have to worry about more outages.
    09-01-10 05:36 PM
    RIM owes its share holders profits that's about it. RIM owes me nothing which is fine because I expect nothing. Also, I don't owe RIM anything and they shouldn't expect anything. So when nothing comes to fruition I won't be surprised.

09-01-10 05:44 PM
    It depends on how you pronounce it
    09-01-10 07:41 PM
    lol....a'int sounds country.

Back on topic: RIM owes nobody anything.
    09-01-10 07:54 PM
    True. RIM doesn't owe customers anything as individuals. But going the extra mile and having a great product(s) will keep and net more customers.
    All those android buyers who don't have bb's came from somewhere.
    09-01-10 08:09 PM
    Yes and I agree rim doesn't owe me anything. But in the same instance I owe them nothing and they have lost a lot of BB loyalty. A very good portion of my friends have gone to android and many of them were long time BB fans. Its sad when one says that rim used to be the leader in smartphones and now they are constantly trying to catch up. I also see the android devices getting the latest updates from the ERIS to the moto droid and even the older devices. But rim can't give it to a device that's less than a year old.

09-01-10 09:37 PM
    Yes and I agree rim doesn't owe me anything. But in the same instance I owe them nothing and they have lost a lot of BB loyalty. A very good portion of my friends have gone to android and many of them were long time BB fans. Its sad when one says that rim used to be the leader in smartphones and now they are constantly trying to catch up. I also see the android devices getting the latest updates from the ERIS to the moto droid and even the older devices. But rim can't give it to a device that's less than a year old.

For one thing, I believe that RIM lost a lot of prestige when it dumped the S1 on us. that was one seriously screwed up phone. I took mine back after 8 torturous days of reboots.

Now they are taking BABY STEPS with the OS updates. I mean, c'mon, is 6.0 really anything to get worked up about (other than having the webkit browser).

then they capitulate to the foreign governments over security--their well-known and vaunted security for BES customers is DOWN THE TOILET.

What's next? sigh.

I like my Storm, but RIM is making me nervous that they may go down the drain before I want to switch to another platform, which is inevitable if Android OS keeps improving. For me, it's (Android) not quite "there" yet, but I can see the handwriting on the wall. If RIM ever drops Surepress, than for sure I'm "outta here" as no other BB phone interests me.
    09-01-10 09:43 PM
    It still blows me away that Apple put a webkit browser with multi-touch on a touch screen phone with a 400 mhz processor and 128 MB RAM in 2007, and yet RIM cannot integrate the same features onto a phone with double the RAM and nearly double the processing power in 2010. When I combine this with Google's work on Android 2.2's footprint and speed to make it faster than the previous versions, it really diminishes RIM's progress in the last few years.

I don't think RIM owes me anything other than what I have on my Storm2, but like most of you it is the trend that scares me. I am however disappointed with no webkit for the Storm2. They have/had a great platform with many unmatched features and ease of tasks to build from, and it appears they are not able to leap forward to maintain a lead or even keep up in many areas. Combine that with next gen hardware (Torch) that is not even up to par, and it looks like they just don't get it. The Storm3 as a refresh just furthers that worry for me.
    09-02-10 06:53 AM
    RIM does owe its stock holders market growth, and that with higher profits. Their profits are slipping bad, despite their continued growth. They look like they are taking business on price only.
    09-02-10 06:58 AM
    For one thing, I believe that RIM lost a lot of prestige when it dumped the S1 on us. that was one seriously screwed up phone. I took mine back after 8 torturous days of reboots.
    I'm glad someone finally said it! I believe that the Storm did ENORMOUS damage to RIM's consumer reputation. I can honestly remember people seeing my Storm and asking me (strangers, no less!) "Is that the Blackberry Storm? I heard that phone sucked!"

And they aren't doing themselves any favors by all of this talk of "refresh" versions of various models.
    09-02-10 08:07 AM
    I'm glad someone finally said it! I believe that the Storm did ENORMOUS damage to RIM's consumer reputation. I can honestly remember people seeing my Storm and asking me (strangers, no less!) "Is that the Blackberry Storm? I heard that phone sucked!"

And they aren't doing themselves any favors by all of this talk of "refresh" versions of various models.
    How did it do enormous damage to their consumer reputation? When the Storm 1 first came out people was going crazy over it. I didn't buy mine until Feb. '09 because when I went to check it out, I wasn't feeling it. But once they got that first OS update, I was on it lol.

When I got mine 6 of my co-workers who have Verizon went out and got one. BTW 3 of them still have the Storm 1. Now I don't know where you live but when people saw my Storm 1 they loved it. Some were even envious because they couldn't upgrade at that time.

But all in all every person has a different experience with the Storm 1.

Mine was all good.
    09-02-10 01:31 PM
    How did it do enormous damage to their consumer reputation? When the Storm 1 first came out people was going crazy over it. I didn't buy mine until Feb. '09 because when I went to check it out, I wasn't feeling it. But once they got that first OS update, I was on it lol.

When I got mine 6 of my co-workers who have Verizon went out and got one. BTW 3 of them still have the Storm 1. Now I don't know where you live but when people saw my Storm 1 they loved it. Some were even envious because they couldn't upgrade at that time.

Mine was all good.
    I'm not saying that your experience wasn't positive, but you can not deny that the Storm 1 launch was a complete disaster!. It sold well because of the hype, but I would be willing to bet that it also had the highest exchange/return rate of any smartphone in the last several years. I was a day 1 customer (sucker), meaning that I had the distinct privilege of OS .65. It's no coincidence that it's the only phone on Crackberry with it's own rants/raves section. People lined up outside in the cold for the chance to buy this phone. RIM's reputation took a beating and I don't think that it's ever recovered. Notice the love that they get from VZW.
    09-02-10 01:44 PM

Mine was all good.
    You must have been talking about an alternative universe. All I saw was one negative review followed by another, for months on end, following the release of the S1. I can attest to the fact that some Verizon stores did what they could to dissuade potential storm1 buyers from choosing that phone. On no less than 3 separate ocassions, and with more than 4 employees weighing in on the subject, I was steered away from the S1. I got pretty much the same treatment in late 09 and early 10 when I bought the S2's (twice--returned a pair I got in late 09). I like my S2, but I'm under no illusions that it's a popular phone, by any means. Get outside of this forum and see what I mean.
    09-02-10 01:48 PM
    You must have been talking about an alternative universe. All I saw was one negative review followed by another, for months on end, following the release of the S1. I can attest to the fact that some Verizon stores did what they could to dissuade potential storm1 buyers from choosing that phone. On no less than 3 separate ocassions, and with more than 4 employees weighing in on the subject, I was steered away from the S1. I got pretty much the same treatment in late 09 and early 10 when I bought the S2's (twice--returned a pair I got in late 09). I like my S2, but I'm under no illusions that it's a popular phone, by any means. Get outside of this forum and see what I mean.
    Oh trust me I have seen the hate that people have for the Storm 1. I also have seen the love for it. But thats like everything in life lol.

I fortunately had a good experience with my Storm 1. I never had any of the problems that some people have had. I still was on my original Storm 1 until last month when at an amusement park it fell out of my pocket.

I was hurt lol.

As far as for a VZW rep steering you away from ANY phone.......

I can't call that one lol.
    09-02-10 04:08 PM
    Oh trust me I have seen the hate that people have for the Storm 1. I also have seen the love for it. But thats like everything in life lol.

I fortunately had a good experience with my Storm 1. I never had any of the problems that some people have had. I still was on my original Storm 1 until last month when at an amusement park it fell out of my pocket.

I was hurt lol.

As far as for a VZW rep steering you away from ANY phone.......

I can't call that one lol.
    Actually the last time I was in verizon to pick up my S2 the rep asked it I wanted an S1.
    09-02-10 04:43 PM
    Actually the last time I was in verizon to pick up my S2 the rep asked it I wanted an S1.
    Lmao wow. Hey I've never experienced it. That's why I said I can't call it lol.
    09-02-10 05:13 PM
    I'm not saying that your experience wasn't positive, but you can not deny that the Storm 1 launch was a complete disaster!. It sold well because of the hype, but I would be willing to bet that it also had the highest exchange/return rate of any smartphone in the last several years. I was a day 1 customer (sucker), meaning that I had the distinct privilege of OS .65. It's no coincidence that it's the only phone on Crackberry with it's own rants/raves section. People lined up outside in the cold for the chance to buy this phone. RIM's reputation took a beating and I don't think that it's ever recovered. Notice the love that they get from VZW.
    Actually the S1, at the time, had the lowest return rate of all Verizon smartphones!

“The Storm has the lowest return rate of any of our PDAs and at this point in its life cycle, it has the lowest return rate of any PDA we currently sell.”
    Verizon BlackBerry Storm Return Rate Boy Genius Report
    09-03-10 10:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD