I have been seeing this creep more and more into the threads here and I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

The concept of early adoption is a complete crock. Companies should not be able to fall back on this crutch. I realize that this isn't a perfect world, and that everything has flaws, but to allow companies this defense is a mistake. They should strive to put out the best possible product they can. Not rush things into the market to make a few extra dollars. I knew before I bought it that the Storm might have issues. I didn't know that it would have this many issues.
    01-21-09 12:13 AM
    I said I agreed with you elsewhere. But I also realize the futility of complaining about it. It's entirely up to the consumer to say "No" before the companies listen. And I can guarantee if you go to the next iPhone release and tell people not to buy the phone, you'll probably be lynched.

There's also the alternative, which is just as unsavory. Companies release a barebones product, no features whatsoever except the absolute necessary. But then who'd buy a Storm on Day 1 that could only make phone calls? The more complex the product, the more chances for bugs to slip in. Minimize the extras at first, minimize the bugs... and sales.

So where's the line and who draws it? Customer or developer?
    01-21-09 12:31 AM
    I said I agreed with you elsewhere. But I also realize the futility of complaining about it. It's entirely up to the consumer to say "No" before the companies listen. And I can guarantee if you go to the next iPhone release and tell people not to buy the phone, you'll probably be lynched.

There's also the alternative, which is just as unsavory. Companies release a barebones product, no features whatsoever except the absolute necessary. But then who'd buy a Storm on Day 1 that could only make phone calls? The more complex the product, the more chances for bugs to slip in. Minimize the extras at first, minimize the bugs... and sales.

So where's the line and who draws it? Customer or developer?
    Thats what I am trying to get at. Noticed you posted in the other thread.
    01-21-09 12:33 AM
    Thats what I am trying to get at. Noticed you posted in the other thread.
    It'd be nice if a company said "No, we're not putting it on the market till its absolutely ready". But then their CIO starts saying "I don't think the company can support your salary if this product doesn't hit the market by XX/XX/XXXX". I'm trying to search my memory of the last time a corp said that and failing miserably.

After 5 LG Dare's, I was happy I was able to make a phone call on my Storm via Bluetooth without it randomly disconnecting within the first 10 mins. That was my level of acceptable functionality and I was prepared to suffer through any bugs I hit so long as RIM showed a sincere desire to work on any shortcomings. I keep getting told I'm one of the lucky ones since I'm not suffering through any major bugs. Everything I want from RIM are enhancements (with work on the lag when typing in the web browser).

But hey, I'm wierd that way. The only reason why my laptop dual boots back to Vista is because of the apps not compatible with Windows 7
    01-21-09 12:52 AM
    The truth is that both your points are valid but the problem is that the window of opportunity due to the fact that people want the newest features now does not gives manufactures enough time to fully test if they want to compete in the market. Just look at video games. It used to be that only pc's had all the updates and now the same thing is true for systems.

An increasingly impatient population is making it very difficult to fully test products and the window of opportunity to sell the products is getting shorter as well. One of the hardest things is having a product stay on the market long enough to recoup the development costs.

It's really screwed up and I am one of the worst offenders.
    01-21-09 01:27 AM
    The truth is that both your points are valid but the problem is that the window of opportunity due to the fact that people want the newest features now does not gives manufactures enough time to fully test if they want to compete in the market. Just look at video games. It used to be that only pc's had all the updates and now the same thing is true for systems.

An increasingly impatient population is making it very difficult to fully test products and the window of opportunity to sell the products is getting shorter as well. One of the hardest things is having a product stay on the market long enough to recoup the development costs.

It's really screwed up and I am one of the worst offenders.
    I think you hit it right on the head. Since we as a society have no patience and we always want the latest and greatest NOW, companies have to release a device that isn't fully ready or their competition will beat them to it. Therefore, the "early adopter" concept is created because those that buy right away will get hit with the issues the company didn't fix ahead of time due to our impatience.
    01-21-09 01:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD