I'm completely freaking out here. I need help. My storm was fine until this morning and then inexplicably began doing a random screen glitch where there are white patches and pixels out of line all over the screen. It went from completely functional to hardly functioning at all. I can't do any texting or IM and barely any phone calls.
    I am currently running .85. Should I uninstall that and go back to .75? I have had the upgrade for at least a week with no problems.
    No new programs added in last 48 hrs. Nothing spilled on it. No temp changes. Battery is fine. I have done numerous battery pulls.
    Advice?? Should I downgrade and go to .75? and then get replacement before time runs out??
    How do I get .75 back?
    Sorry if I'm a bit panicked. I've been up 24 hrs and need some sleep but i need a functional phone by work time tonight.

Please help!
    01-06-09 02:01 PM
    Can you take a pic of the screen for us? Doesnt sound like the white screen of death that folks talk about and seems like the display is malfunctioning instead.

try this thread if you want to downgrade http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...os-pix-129984/

Good luck!
    01-06-09 02:11 PM
    I'm completely freaking out here. I need help. My storm was fine until this morning and then inexplicably began doing a random screen glitch where there are white patches and pixels out of line all over the screen. It went from completely functional to hardly functioning at all. I can't do any texting or IM and barely any phone calls.
    I am currently running .85. Should I uninstall that and go back to .75? I have had the upgrade for at least a week with no problems.
    No new programs added in last 48 hrs. Nothing spilled on it. No temp changes. Battery is fine. I have done numerous battery pulls.
    Advice?? Should I downgrade and go to .75? and then get replacement before time runs out??
    How do I get .75 back?
    Sorry if I'm a bit panicked. I've been up 24 hrs and need some sleep but i need a functional phone by work time tonight.

Please help!
    I would just try reloading .85. To do this I think you might have to go to .75 first. Its worth a shot
    01-06-09 02:12 PM
    I can't get a pic because it won't even allow me to unlock it without a battery pull every time. It is not the white screen of death (lol haven't heard that before) ...I have seen that one. This is all glitchy and it's like the touch doesn't work at all anymore. the lock/unlock function won't work. it's just bizarre. When I type, the letters of the keyboard transpose and then white patches appear everywhere so you are just guessing where the letters should be.
    this morning i had to make a phone call that required me to press numbers to get through a menu and i had to call back 3 times to actually get it to work at all. it's like a complete and utter melt down.
    if i happen to get a bb messenger notice it locks up the phone. sending or receiving email also messes it up.
    it went from great to non functional just that quick.
    i am going to try the downgrade.

i'll post my results

thanks

another curious thing...when i press the screen trying to unlock it turns white in that spot. never did that before. like liquidy looking. and no nothing was spilled on it. this phone is my baby. or was
    01-06-09 02:20 PM
    Sorry to hear this man. What do you mean by "hardly" functional? If you have a random hardware issue with your Storm, I think it would be tough to downgrade to 0.75. I mean can you even make out what is displayed on the screen or is it all pixeled out?
    01-06-09 02:24 PM
    Another reason not to use unofficial OS's.

How do I get .75 back?

Please help!
    01-06-09 02:28 PM
    Another reason not to use unofficial OS's.
    yup. wow. that helped. thanks.
    01-06-09 02:53 PM
    tried the downgrade. phone is so messed up that screen cannot unlock no matter if i do a batt pull or not. unfortunately i have an application password so the app loader says it cannot do it's thing until i enter password and i cannot.
    i strongly don't think this is an OS problem i went to .85 on 12/28 and have had no problems whatsoever until today. then screen became unresponsive...hard to unlock, sometimes having to use the phone key or off key to spur it into showing me a screen at all. and even that is not working now.
    sooo is there a way to completely eradicate everythign WITHOUT a device password being entered? it's attempting to do something but i have little faith it will work without being able to enter a password for my device.
    01-06-09 02:58 PM
    If the storm works like my pearl if I don't enter the correct pasword in a set number of times it wipes the bb. I have mine set to three defualt is ten y think. Mine is also set to wipe the sd card too. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 03:04 PM
    it's completely DOA. only the buttons light up. any suggestions on what to say/do to get my replacement? the ONE time I ever try to do anything "chancey" and this happens.
    i'm about ready to jump from a bridge.
    is it possible to get replacements from the store or do you have to wait until one comes via fed ex or something? i've never had to replace a phone before.

thanks for all your help guys. keep it coming.

btw...i can't get it to wipe the password because i cannot enter anything because the screen is non functional.
    01-06-09 03:13 PM
    Sounds like you should return the phone.
    01-06-09 03:14 PM
    Just call and say your screen quit working. They know the storm has issues so they arent asking too many quetions. The will probably send it overnight via fedex. They will try to 2 day it, but if you complain they will overnight it.
    01-06-09 03:17 PM
    last update of the day...
    it "says" that it reloaded the os. screen is dead. calling verizon. unfortunately gotta find the number cuz can't dial it. interestingly i can receive calls. just like being blind i guess.
    01-06-09 03:26 PM
    Just call and say your screen quit working. They know the storm has issues so they arent asking too many quetions. The will probably send it overnight via fedex. They will try to 2 day it, but if you complain they will overnight it.
    "No storms in stock." this is what the verizon folks are telling me. No idea when they can ship me one. None at the local stores. I'm trying now to get them to give me a refurb curv or pearl or something to use until they get one located for me.
    Does this seem like BS to anyone??
    01-07-09 07:53 AM
    Yep. Got repl overnighted to me. It will be here by 1030 am I would call back.
    01-07-09 08:20 AM
    wow im soooo happy you beat me to this.

this happened to me yesterday, to a T.

i was going to post this here, but i couldnt describe as well as you could. i took it to verizon and they immediately said it was a replacement. they are 2-daying me a brand new phone. just as a really far out guess... but do you type a lot? my best guess is that since my phone had the click screen issue which i fixed with a bit o paper and i typed an awful lot, that some sort of connection could have deteriorated over time and then bit the dust yesterday.

it started with glitchy response and white patches, then all white colorful pixel action, and now my screen is dead. backlights, but dead otherwise. im not a super tech savvy person, but my best guess is this is a hardware issue. i was running .75. i also babied the phone, it had never been dropped, or barely even had any physical demands put on it.

i have been getting calls that i wish i could see who they were (waiting for a prospective employer to call back). is there any way for me to check this through the internet till i get my new phone?
    01-07-09 08:21 AM
    ok so i managed to get the screen back from dark to white-ish with tons of grainy colored pixels. i took a picture with my webcam. its at an angle so you can see the grainy screen (and also so my computer screen didnt reflect)

01-07-09 08:34 AM
    there we go. sorry about the thumbnail.

01-07-09 08:35 AM
    yes i was a texting and messaging fiend. lots of email. used the phone part as just a small part of what i used the phone for. you are describing exactly what happened to me. it was as if something just came loose or i dont know what. but now i'm questioning my decision to use the storm. i love it soo much. it's beautiful. but i have an ipod touch i can watch movies on and play music on. I need one i can text on and get messages on and God forbid make an emergency call if need be.
    I work 60 miles out of town and nights to boot. I don't feel very safe driving anywhere without a phone. too much could happen.
    and mine has never turned white... just still the black screen with buttons lit.
    verizon is still sayin no replacements anywhere. i am about to get mean!!!!
    01-07-09 09:36 AM
    I had something similar - but not AS extreme happen yesterday when I moved a picture into "system" memory. My storm was going all kinds of "ballistic" when I'd try to restart.

I used JL_Cmdr and WIPED the phone, then reloaded the system. There are instructions for doing this elsewhere in the forum, but basically: (assuming you did a backup recently)
    1. Wipe using JL_Cmdr
    You'll see a White screen with an error message when this is done, but don't worry.
    2. Connect DM to the phone and use the "restore" function
    be sure to select everything you want applied

You'll lose all the 3rd party apps you had, but it's better than a 'bricked' Storm...

Good luck!
    01-07-09 10:50 AM
    good suggestion i guess...

i cant pinpoint what i did that triggered the glitch, thats why i have a suspicion of a hardware problem. thats just speculation really.

it does not help much that i have a mac either, i dont run parallels.

i used to be much more tech savvy, and i feel left behind by this phone sometimes. im not sure if thats good, or that the bugs are challenging my technical nollij.

either way im waiting for the mailman right now. pretty ridiculous.
    01-07-09 11:02 AM
    Battery Pull. If that doesn't work do a wipe and reinstall an OS to see if it is a software glitch. A picture would be nice. Take out a Digital camera and take a normal pic of this so that we can see. Let us know what you find out. Sounds more like a actual malfunction though and might need a replacement.
    01-07-09 11:15 AM
    Your best bet is to back it up, do a JL_Cmdr Wipe, reinstall whatever OS you want. I would try .75 that way if it doesn't work and you take it in to Verizon that can't say anything about not having an approved software on the device. I would try going into a store though. All the stores here have replacements in stock...well they did yesterday. I have 2 employees that work for me get replacements yesterday for dust under the screen. From other posts I have read there are 3 types of replacements out there so the rep on the phone might have only checked 1 sku number. They probably only looked for a FRU9530 which don't really exist yet. Virtually all the replacements are going to be new phones either with accesories or without.
    01-07-09 11:32 AM
    Battery Pull. If that doesn't work do a wipe and reinstall an OS to see if it is a software glitch. A picture would be nice. Take out a Digital camera and take a normal pic of this so that we can see. Let us know what you find out. Sounds more like a actual malfunction though and might need a replacement.
    i battery pulled multiple times, and it did not change the issue at all.

and not being sarcastic at all, but having a mac and a phone with no screen, how would i go about wiping and re-installing the OS? im asking seriously cause in the meantime before i get my new phone im willing to try anything on this bad beast of a brick.
    01-07-09 04:42 PM
    Do you have a copy of Windows XP? If so, use this: Downloads - VirtualBox it's free and will allow you to run Windows in a virtual system. You can then attach your Blackberry to the MAC and run DM.

SUN systems (makers of Java and Servers) created VirtualBox so it's a stable and legit program that competes with VMware and Parallels.
    01-07-09 05:06 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD