One quick question guys, when turning off your 9550 "COMLPETELY" whats the best way to do this? Hold the off button on the top left hand corner or go through th menu and go to the "OFF" Icon?

I am not quite sure if one actually fully powers down the phone and the other kinda puts it to sleep or they both actually turn it completely off. I realize even when OFF they still drain power but it just seems that if I turn it off by holding down the button on the top left it starts up a little quicker rather then when I manually click the OFF Icon..

Just wanted to be sure I was actually turning this thing off.. Also when they say do a "battery pull/re boot is this done when the unit is on or off? And last is there any "hot keys" to "reboot" the 9550 like with the Curve 8330 when you held down Alt, Enter, & Delete??

Thanks guys
    05-12-10 10:55 PM
    1) The only way to fully turn it off is to pull the battery.

2) A battery pull is done with the power on.

3) A soft reset isn't alt/enter/del but alt/right shift/del, however, I don't know if this works on a 9550.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-10 11:04 PM
    1. Wrong. Using the top button or the power icon DOES turn off the phone. With the phone powered off you will not receive phone calls or notifications.
    2. Correct.

3. This does not work on the S2. There are many third party apes available that simulate a battery pull.

05-12-10 11:21 PM
    1. Wrong. Using the top button or the power icon DOES turn off the phone. With the phone powered off you will not receive phone calls or notifications.
    This does not completely power off the phone. Yes, it turns off the radio, but the phone is not completely powered off. Why do you think that the boot time is so much faster when you turn it off with the button than when you do a battery pull? Its because the phone is still on, it's just suspended with the radio off to conserve power.

05-12-10 11:31 PM
    Yep, gotta agree with traveling here...the phone does not "turn off-off" when you hit the power button, it is more closely described as "going to sleep." Certain things can activate it out of this sleep mode, but that does not include the phone or email/message alerts. This is the normal "turn off mode" for BBs.

There are two ways to do battery pulls, one is by physically pulling the battery...and I don't think it matters if you had the phone "turned off" or not. Once you pull the battery and then re-insert it, it will power back on automatically and go through the reboot mode, so it matters not the state it was in prior to pulling the battery.

There are apps that will simulate battery pulls (typically called "soft reset"), I use MeterBerry because it is so versitle, but QuickPull is another popular option. Not sure about QP, but MB allows you to schedule the soft reset or you can activate it manually. Some argue that a soft reset is not as "thorough" as a complete battery pull and I cannot say for sure. I've done both, watched the phone reboot and cannot tell the difference.

Keep in mind that there is really no reason to do battery pulls with the Storm 2. It's not like the Storm 1 where you had constant memory leaks, freeze ups and other issues. My memory hangs withing 1 MB up or down, for weeks at a time. A lot of old, Storm 1 users still think they need to do this with the S2, but that's not really the case. Are you having a particular issue that is causing you to think you need to do this?
    05-12-10 11:39 PM
    And as a Verizon customer, you can dial ##000000, scroll down to SIP Password, enter vzw, press BB key and save. the device will say write successful and reboot. I did it that way until I purchased MeterBerry which, as stated, includes a reset option.
    05-12-10 11:56 PM
    this does not completely power off the phone. Yes, it turns off the radio, but the phone is not completely powered off. Why do you think that the boot time is so much faster when you turn it off with the button than when you do a battery pull? Its because the phone is still on, it's just suspended with the radio off to conserve power.

Posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    +1 !

-----------------
    05-13-10 12:56 AM
    Thanks guys for the explanation that all make sense.. Ok so I purchased "Meterberry" about 3 days ago so are you guys saying to just either go intop Meterberry and reset the device that way or I notice I can schedule a reset correct?

The reason I asked about turning the Storm2 off was I was just wondering there are nights where I cant be bothered and figured I would just turn the phone off so I couldnt get any calls. So in this case, I do what? Go to the BB button and click the "OFF" icon correct?

To just turn the radio and phone off what would I do? OFF ICON right?

Thanks guys and I have noticed my Storm2 runs a lot better since using Meterberry..

Thanks guys
    05-13-10 07:31 AM
    Thanks guys for the explanation that all make sense.. Ok so I purchased "Meterberry" about 3 days ago so are you guys saying to just either go intop Meterberry and reset the device that way or I notice I can schedule a reset correct?

The reason I asked about turning the Storm2 off was I was just wondering there are nights where I cant be bothered and figured I would just turn the phone off so I couldnt get any calls. So in this case, I do what? Go to the BB button and click the "OFF" icon correct?

Thanks guys and I have noticed my Storm2 runs a lot better since using Meterberry..

Thanks guys
    For your purpose, either will work for you, so whatever is easier for you. I use the top power button personally. One less icon I need floating around my home screen.

The nice thing about the phone being off, but not the device, is alarm still works. I have used my BB as my alarm for so long, I don't remember the last time I set the clock on my night stand. You can turn off the phone so it does not ring or notify for e-mail but the device will wake up and the alarm will sound.

Also note that if you just want your phone to be silent, the profiles give you excellent flexibility for what beeps, buzzes and flashes without the need to power down. That can be powerful if you want a handful of people to be able to reach you, but shut the rest of the world out.
    05-13-10 07:39 AM
    Well said, Wd and yes, I use the top button to power off as well, though I do have the Power Off (that really is a misnomer, they should change the name) icon set in my Stacks on my AppleBerry Theme (to the OP, you might want to check this theme out, it's SUPERB). Anyway, no phone calls or message alerts, just blissful silence and a quick turn around to power the device back up.

As for the Resets OP, you can set your MeterBerry to schedule routine resets or, just tell it to "do it now" when you feel the need. As I stated previously though, the Storm 2 really does not need resets unless a problem arises. Memory is VERY stable.

Since this is my business phone, I do tend to leave it on overnight and use the "Phone Calls Only" profile so that emails/BBMS, etc. alerts, don't wake me. I live on West Coast time. It's amazing how many clients from the Midwest or East coast call me at 5, 6 or 7 AM, and when I groggily answer the phone they go "Oh, I forgot, you're on West Coast time!" :: sigh :: Gotta do whatever you have to for business. This happened just this morning with a 6:45 AM call. When the phone rang, I found myself sitting bolt upright, clearing my throat, TRYING to sound alert, before answering....it never works though, LOL.

For your purpose, either will work for you, so whatever is easier for you. I use the top power button personally. One less icon I need floating around my home screen.

The nice thing about the phone being off, but not the device, is alarm still works. I have used my BB as my alarm for so long, I don't remember the last time I set the clock on my night stand. You can turn off the phone so it does not ring or notify for e-mail but the device will wake up and the alarm will sound.

Also note that if you just want your phone to be silent, the profiles give you excellent flexibility for what beeps, buzzes and flashes without the need to power down. That can be powerful if you want a handful of people to be able to reach you, but shut the rest of the world out.
    05-13-10 02:19 PM

Thanks guys

Open your Clock up and hit enter bedside mode. That works great! If you go to clock>BB button>options you will see bedside mode and you can change the settings for it.
    05-13-10 02:25 PM
    Another +1 for bedside mode. I use it all the time. I have set my phone to enter bedside mode whenever it is plugged in and it's between the hours of 10:30 pm and 6:30 am. My bedside mode sound profile is for phone calls only. That way it stays nice and quiet while I sleep. But if I catch a run in the middle of the night all I have to do is take it out of the cradle and it changes right back to my normal work sound profile and is ready to go.

05-13-10 03:20 PM
    I actually didn't know the phone doesn't turn off if told to power off completely, that name change you mentioned should be "hibernate" as that's what it's doing lol

Well said, Wd and yes, I use the top button to power off as well, though I do have the Power Off (that really is a misnomer, they should change the name) icon set in my Stacks on my AppleBerry Theme (to the OP, you might want to check this theme out, it's SUPERB). Anyway, no phone calls or message alerts, just blissful silence and a quick turn around to power the device back up.

As for the Resets OP, you can set your MeterBerry to schedule routine resets or, just tell it to "do it now" when you feel the need. As I stated previously though, the Storm 2 really does not need resets unless a problem arises. Memory is VERY stable.

Since this is my business phone, I do tend to leave it on overnight and use the "Phone Calls Only" profile so that emails/BBMS, etc. alerts, don't wake me. I live on West Coast time. It's amazing how many clients from the Midwest or East coast call me at 5, 6 or 7 AM, and when I groggily answer the phone they go "Oh, I forgot, you're on West Coast time!" :: sigh :: Gotta do whatever you have to for business. This happened just this morning with a 6:45 AM call. When the phone rang, I found myself sitting bolt upright, clearing my throat, TRYING to sound alert, before answering....it never works though, LOL.
    05-13-10 03:32 PM
    When you hit the power button and turn off your TV, do you consider it "off" or hibernating? What about your PS3 or PS2? Because neither of these devices completely power down in the sense you're talking about, unless you unplug them (Or the PS2 had a separate button to cut the power supply). That's how a (newer) TV can be set to come on at a certain time. They still shut off as in all functions cease and they cannot be used until you wake them up by hitting the power button.

So yes, you are correct, the BB doesn't POWER OFF completely, but it does turn off.
    05-13-10 04:24 PM
    Sorry, but it doesn't turn it off. It suspends it. The TV example is a bad analogy because it doesn't have an OS to boot to. A computer would be a better example. You can either set the monitor to turn off, set it to sleep with hard drives off, or you can set it to hibernate; none of which are turning off your computer.

Using the icon to turn off your bb does not turn off your bb.

Edit: If you are having a difficult time understanding this, grab a stopwatch. Pull the battery and put it back in. Time how long it takes to see your homescreen. Now, use the "Turn Power Off" icon, let it sleep, now press the red "End" key. Time how long it takes to see your homescreen.

Discussion solved

Last edited by travelingfool; 05-13-10 at 04:36 PM.
    05-13-10 04:29 PM
    LOL, Traveling, I am clueless as to why Orange is having so much trouble grasping such a simple concept. Your analogy is exactly right and the one I use when explaining this to people.

However, I TOTALLY disagree with your suggestion of using a stopwatch to compare a battery pull vs. a "Power Off" action. Really? A STOPWATCH? C'mon man, just try holding your frickin' breath for the time it takes to reboot after a battery pull....seven minutes? I don't need no stinkin' stopwatch to figure that out (just goofing with you)

Sorry, but it doesn't turn it off. It suspends it. The TV example is a bad analogy because it doesn't have an OS to boot to. A computer would be a better example. You can either set the monitor to turn off, set it to sleep with hard drives off, or you can set it to hibernate; none of which are turning off your computer.

Using the icon to turn off your bb does not turn off your bb.

Edit: If you are having a difficult time understanding this, grab a stopwatch. Pull the battery and put it back in. Time how long it takes to see your homescreen. Now, use the "Turn Power Off" icon, let it sleep, now press the red "End" key. Time how long it takes to see your homescreen.

Discussion solved

05-13-10 05:05 PM
    Thanks guys I was not trying to start any arguments here, and honestly I dont mind or care about the actual "power down" aspect or feature.. I just wanted to make sure I was turning it off right. I know now a days many people use their cell phones for everything and I can say that I do use mine alot. I was just wondering what was the best way to turn it off. I guess there is no real way to turn the storm2 off other then pulling the batter which is fine.

Thanks for the replies and help guys! I now understand what I can and cant and the what all the phone features can do and cant.
    05-13-10 05:07 PM
    No problem and don't worry about "arguments" as most every thread will have at least one or two (or more of they're a juicy topic). The issue is, if they remain civil or not!

There is NO need to pull your battery. "Power Off" will save your battery power and put the phone in to hibernate mode. When I've "Powered Off" I can look at MeterBerry in the morning and see that I've lost something less than 1% (the smallest increment MB will report).

Thanks guys I was not trying to start any arguments here, and honestly I dont mind or care about the actual "power down" aspect or feature.. I just wanted to make sure I was turning it off right. I know now a days many people use their cell phones for everything and I can say that I do use mine alot. I was just wondering what was the best way to turn it off. I guess there is no real way to turn the storm2 off other then pulling the batter which is fine.

Thanks for the replies and help guys! I now understand what I can and cant and the what all the phone features can do and cant.
    05-13-10 05:33 PM
    Damn. I was hoping for a good ole' fashion flame war on semantics. What do I get? an apology??? Really?

lol
    05-13-10 06:12 PM
    It is semantics. But I concede.

05-13-10 09:36 PM
    Really? A STOPWATCH? C'mon man, just try holding your frickin' breath for the time it takes to reboot after a battery pull....seven minutes? I don't need no stinkin' stopwatch to figure that out (just goofing with you)
    Lol, I wish I'd thought of that. That would have driven the point home for sure

It is semantics. But I concede.
    Well that's boring just ask wdanker.

You're a good sport, Mr. Orange. Tom-AY-to, to-MAH-to, its all good.

05-13-10 09:50 PM
    Thanks guys!

Ok one last question what the heck does this mean or do??

I see it almost under everyone's replies or posts? Is there some special site you guys are using or something when viewing Crackberry.com from a cell phone or PDA??
    05-13-10 10:31 PM
    Thanks guys!

Ok one last question what the heck does this mean or do??

I see it almost under everyone's replies or posts? Is there some special site you guys are using or something when viewing Crackberry.com from a cell phone or PDA??
    That is automatically inserted by the php whenever anyone posts from the mobile version of this site. You can use it from any mobile device (or pc with a slow connection for that matter) by going to wapforums.crackberry.com. It is designed to load very quickly with minimal graphics and works great from the bb native browser.

Whenever you see that it means we are on the mobile site and most likely posting from our bb's

05-13-10 11:08 PM
    That is automatically inserted by the php whenever anyone posts from the mobile version of this site. You can use it from any mobile device (or pc with a slow connection for that matter) by going to wapforums.crackberry.com. It is designed to load very quickly with minimal graphics and works great from the bb native browser.

Whenever you see that it means we are on the mobile site and most likely posting from our bb's

Cool I got it loaded as a Bookmark on the BB thanks man and using that WAP forum works A LOT better then trying to view Crackberry.com as its normal version from the BB...
    05-14-10 12:13 AM
    You were viewing the full site on the native browser? I bet that was only slightly frustrating. m.crackberry.com also works. I believe it points to the same site as wap.crackberry.com.

As a side note, if you prefer the full site, opera mini or bolt browser both load them quickly, but they have, for me at least, proven to be a bit too buggy. The mobile site is fast enough that I actually prefer using it as opposed to breaking out the laptop to browse the site. To speed it up even more, turn off java support under the options menu. 99% of sites work perfectly fine with it shut off and pages will load quicker.

05-14-10 12:27 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD