I messed with the Droid X at Verizon. What bugged me about it was the 'home' screen(s) don't switch to landscape when you hold it that way. Makes it a pain to use compared with the Storm.
    I used the Storm in landscape almost exclusively except for the phone screen(of course)
    Just mentioning it here because some are thinking of changing and thought they would want input from Storm owners.

And I swear the screen isn't as clear when viewing pictures.

Please don't 'slime' me
    07-15-10 08:37 PM
    Found out there is an app to change that.
    07-15-10 08:59 PM
    I picked one up today after having a S2 since launch day (before that I had the S1 since launch day). Here's my $.02.

The phone is obviously fast, everything loads very quickly. Google Marketplace has lots of apps, and the best thing is that if you buy one, don't like it, you have 24 hours to uninstall it and get a refund, which is nice.

Everything is fluid, not as smooth as an iPhone4 and it does have its moments of lag (mainly while its updating itself) but it's nothing severe. Typing on it is very easy just because of it's sheer size. I tried using swype but I wasn't a fan of it and prefer multi-touch.

I finally have a full fledged ESPN app and not a launcher, plus the ESPN widget is nice. The DLNA feature is nice and it connects to the PS3 flawlessly.

Downsides...

Good luck syncing it to your iTunes.
    Already mentioned portrait only on the home screen (just like the iPhone).
    While typing a text and holding the phone in landscape, you can't just hit enter to send a text. You have to hit done, which hides the keyboard, and reveals the send button...just like really old versions of BBOS used to do.
    Oh...and if you have a yahoo email account...I hope you don't actually plan on using it.
    If you own an Infiniti or Nissan with bluetooth...yeah enjoy having no one being able to hear you while on a call in the car (work around is to select "Use Handset", then press phone, this will clear up the crappy Bluetooth issues), oh and no Transfer Phonebook via Bluetooth option.

That's about it for now. This phone is nice and all...but for something that's supposed to blow RIM out of the water or whatever...it sure isn't very convenient.

It's been said before and after using it for a day I can agree...if you need your phone for email, avoid Android phones like its the HIV. I have a whole new appreciation for Blackberries now...it sucks because their superior push technology isn't really a selling point to consumers until they can see the difference for themselves.

Will I go back? I'm not sure yet. It is a powerful phone and other than the issues noted above, it's a good phone. Just goes to show that phones are a double edged sword.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 07-15-10 at 09:34 PM.
    07-15-10 09:21 PM
    If you own an Infiniti or Nissan with bluetooth...yeah enjoy having no one being able to hear you while on a call in the car (work around is to select "Use Handset", then press phone, this will clear up the crappy Bluetooth issues), oh and no Transfer Phonebook via Bluetooth option.
    First, thanks for sharing your comments based on facts and not some opinion piece or fanboy rant.

Now I'm totally torn on whether I should try the Droid X. There just isn't any phone that has everything I need and want. I'm soooo pissed off at my Storm2 with lag issues and turtle slow web browsing. I waste tons of time trying every new OS and hybrid in search of the answer to make the S2 everything I thought it should be. I don't need a ton of apps, but I might use a lot more if I had a phone that could handle them...the S2 clearly can't.

For now, the Bluetooth issue with the Droid X is a deal breaker for me (I have an 2010 Infiniti). I use it everyday, sometimes for many hours. The email thing is matter of patience in a different area. I send emails that don't get responded to sometimes until the next day. I can wait a little longer for email, but getting answer from the web...well...I want it like now. 8 minute reboots of the S2 drive me insane when it screws up and I have to pull the battery.

Maybe the phone for me is the Storm 4, 4G with a 4" screen, 4GHz CPU, 8GB of RAM, 32GB microSD that I can run apps off of, and a 8MB camera with HD video. Hey RIM, can you send one out to me STAT!!!
    07-15-10 10:02 PM
    For now, the Bluetooth issue with the Droid X is a deal breaker for me (I have an 2010 Infiniti). I use it everyday, sometimes for many hours.
    You probably won't like the Droid X then. I've tried syncing it to my Infiniti (2007) and it wouldn't work. No luck in my roommate's 2009 Infiniti either.

I also googled it...it's a known issue (with the original Droid), the Droid X just doesn't jive well with our cars' bluetooth stack.

I can overlook it as I'm not on the phone much anyway.

Another positive thing though for others....if you like Blackberry because of the customization...Android makes Blackberry look like Apple in comparison...almost too much customization...you can spend days just toying with it, especially with some of the convenience apps available (downloaded launcherpro...wow....it's the UI that Android phones should have stock, blows anything I've seen on an iPhone out of the water and it's extremely customizable)
    Last edited by fecurtis; 07-15-10 at 10:16 PM.
    07-15-10 10:13 PM
    Will droid work with Microsoft outlook?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-10 10:30 PM
    Will droid work with Microsoft outlook?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What do you mean by this?
    If you are referring to a support for your pop3 email accounts, the answer is yes. If you mean syncing contacts, notes, calendar via USB to your PC, the answer is yes but you will need a third party software. The 2 good ones DoubleTwist (free) and Missing Sync (Paid).
    07-16-10 03:40 AM

Downsides...

While typing a text and holding the phone in landscape, you can't just hit enter to send a text. You have to hit done, which hides the keyboard, and reveals the send button...just like really old versions of BBOS used to do.
    Oh...and if you have a yahoo email account...I hope you don't actually plan on using it.
    1.For iTunes syncing - Use DoubleTwist (google it). It is actually better than using iTunes for iPhone.
    2. Just curious, why would you want to see the Home screen in a landscape mode? (It is ugly when you do, ). But if you must do that, there is an app for that (Autorotate Switch) or wait for root and customize it.
    3. The yahoo account works well in other Android devices I have used. A recommended work around is to have all your emails forwarded to your Gmail account. Your Gmail will essentially serve as your MS Outlook in the cloud (you can add up to 5 email accounts). It may not be instant but it is a nice work around.
    07-16-10 04:15 AM
    You probably won't like the Droid X then. I've tried syncing it to my Infiniti (2007) and it wouldn't work. No luck in my roommate's 2009 Infiniti either. I also googled it...it's a known issue (with the original Droid), the Droid X just doesn't jive well with our cars' bluetooth stack.
    I read that it was an issue with the Nexus One also, but with 2.2 its gone.
    07-16-10 06:37 AM
    1.For iTunes syncing - Use DoubleTwist (google it). It is actually better than using iTunes for iPhone.
    I tried. It took a couple of hours to sync my iTunes and when it was finished, it didn't sync with almost all my playlists, it did get all my songs though. I was recommended another app ($2.99), I may give that a try...I know Google Music is supposed to fix all this but that's not due out til around the end of the year I believe.

2. Just curious, why would you want to see the Home screen in a landscape mode? (It is ugly when you do, ). But if you must do that, there is an app for that (Autorotate Switch) or wait for root and customize it.
    When I'm typing (usually do this in landscape) and want to go to the home screen real quick, it's annoying to have to put it back to portrait...launcherpro fixes that though and works a billion times better than the stock UI Motorola puts on it. It's as fluid and smooth as the iPhone's UI.

3. The yahoo account works well in other Android devices I have used. A recommended work around is to have all your emails forwarded to your Gmail account. Your Gmail will essentially serve as your MS Outlook in the cloud (you can add up to 5 email accounts). It may not be instant but it is a nice work around.
    Didn't think of that, good call. Luckily it's a blessing in disguise...most of my junk mail gets sent to my Yahoo account, although I know others may need to use it.
    07-16-10 09:13 AM
    I read that it was an issue with the Nexus One also, but with 2.2 its gone.
    Is it? That's excellent news.
    07-16-10 09:13 AM
    I had a droid before the storm 2, and before the 2.1 update which eventually killed it for me, I had no issues with bluetooth in the car. My coworker has a droid with 2.2 and sometimes loses bluetooth connection in a VW and his wife's BMW, it seems as though the phone has trouble syncing to different forms of bluetooth.
    07-16-10 12:16 PM
    this is a good thread.

more cowbell.
    07-16-10 12:49 PM
    I actually like the threads comparing the Storm2 with other choices. However, I did enjoy the "more cowbell" reference!

It is nice to compare and contract others' experience with not only Storm2 software, etc but also other phones.
    07-16-10 01:14 PM
    Root may be difficult this time around...

eFuse

Linky
    07-16-10 01:46 PM
    This has been a respectful thread too no one has bashed anyone for not having a BB. I like seeing people being polite. I have thought about giving the storm 2 a try. I once had a touch but also had a full qwerty. I am not an Android user. I really do prefer BB. I haven't had any issues to complain about. I am disappointed though that the Curve 8530 isn't getting the new OS. I think all the newer models should be getting it. I do like the Bold though. I am woman, can be fickle at times. touch or full qwerty that's the question HA ! Slider would be nice but won't be on Verizon.
    07-16-10 02:16 PM
    I am going to wait on the new BB OS before I compare, after all, what we are running now is a fairly old OS core.
    07-16-10 02:52 PM
    I'm so torn right now. A friend brought his Droid X into the office, and its a fantastic phone, but I can't seem to give up the ease of my Storm 2's Inbox, I like that I have all 5 email accounts to go to one inbox regardless of if it's Exchange or POP3. Any Droid or Droid X owner's out there willing to elaborate on how the inbox works on their phone?
    07-16-10 03:02 PM
    I'm so torn right now. A friend brought his Droid X into the office, and its a fantastic phone, but I can't seem to give up the ease of my Storm 2's Inbox, I like that I have all 5 email accounts to go to one inbox regardless of if it's Exchange or POP3. Any Droid or Droid X owner's out there willing to elaborate on how the inbox works on their phone?
    Out of the box, Droid X does not support a single inbox as your have in the BB OS. There is an App for that though (K9 Mail). There may be other good ones too. Otherwise, you can wait for the upgrade to Android OS 2.2 (Froyo) next month.
    07-16-10 09:58 PM
    I picked one up today after having a S2 since launch day (before that I had the S1 since launch day). Here's my $.02.

The phone is obviously fast, everything loads very quickly. Google Marketplace has lots of apps, and the best thing is that if you buy one, don't like it, you have 24 hours to uninstall it and get a refund, which is nice.

Everything is fluid, not as smooth as an iPhone4 and it does have its moments of lag (mainly while its updating itself) but it's nothing severe. Typing on it is very easy just because of it's sheer size. I tried using swype but I wasn't a fan of it and prefer multi-touch.

I finally have a full fledged ESPN app and not a launcher, plus the ESPN widget is nice. The DLNA feature is nice and it connects to the PS3 flawlessly.

Downsides...

That's about it for now. This phone is nice and all...but for something that's supposed to blow RIM out of the water or whatever...it sure isn't very convenient.

It's been said before and after using it for a day I can agree...if you need your phone for email, avoid Android phones like its the HIV. I have a whole new appreciation for Blackberries now...it sucks because their superior push technology isn't really a selling point to consumers until they can see the difference for themselves.

Will I go back? I'm not sure yet. It is a powerful phone and other than the issues noted above, it's a good phone. Just goes to show that phones are a double edged sword.
    Dude, thanks for the honest review. I myself am BB to the core, but I do know Odin's limitations, and appreciate Android's strengths. That said, Odin is everything I need (perhaps too much so...I lose this baby, I'm devastated till the replacement), but I do like hearing other people's honest take on other devices. Good luck with the X. Hope it works out for you, and if not, you still have a seat here.
    07-17-10 12:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD