If you did make programs that would be really cool

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 04:38 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to develop apps for us Storm users. The vast majority of us greatly apprecaite it.

Here is a suggestion for down the line on this app (once you start adding new features): I just want a general screen lock that doesn't require me to input my password to unlock.

I am required by IT policy to have a password, and I set the timeout for 30 minutes. But if I lock the screen and try to unlock inside that 30 minutes, I still have to put in a **** password.

It is insane to lock the phone to put in my pocket, get a text/email 1 minute later, pull the phone out and have to enter my password again to unlock it. Then, after responding to the email, locking it and putting it back in my pocket, when I get another email 20 seconds later, boom ... I have to enter the password again. Ridiculous.

I want an app (that would be similar to the call lock you are already developing, except not limited to solely to when you are actually on a call) that lets me unlock the phone inside that 30-minute window without a password. My 8830's lock feature worked this way, but this particular aspect of the Storm is quite bothersome.
    01-29-09 04:38 PM
    what does it mean that it has to be signed?
    01-29-09 04:58 PM

It is insane to lock the phone to put in my pocket, get a text/email 1 minute later, pull the phone out and have to enter my password again to unlock it. Then, after responding to the email, locking it and putting it back in my pocket, when I get another email 20 seconds later, boom ... I have to enter the password again. Ridiculous.

I want an app (that would be similar to the call lock you are already developing, except not limited to solely to when you are actually on a call) that lets me unlock the phone inside that 30-minute window without a password. My 8830's lock feature worked this way, but this particular aspect of the Storm is quite bothersome.
    Have you tried Autolock? no password needed
    Check the Blackberry Storm OTA Apps Thread that aradlahiji has compiled

but then again i dont have a password set on my device and im on BIS so no restricted IT policy
    01-29-09 05:02 PM
    Thanx for sharing this can't wait.
    Last edited by k3lvin; 01-29-09 at 05:19 PM.
    01-29-09 05:15 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to develop apps for us Storm users. The vast majority of us greatly apprecaite it.

Here is a suggestion for down the line on this app (once you start adding new features): I just want a general screen lock that doesn't require me to input my password to unlock.

I am required by IT policy to have a password, and I set the timeout for 30 minutes. But if I lock the screen and try to unlock inside that 30 minutes, I still have to put in a **** password.

The password would have nothing to do with the application itself. Its for the phone itself as a security reason. From a non-business/IT policy use, TalkLock, StormLock and ScreenLock do not require a password to unlock. Just press the ESCAPE button and it unlocks.

If its IT policy to have phone locked, theres nothing developers can do. The apps themselves dont require password, its the phone. Only option is to either put up with the password as its IT policy and required or remove the phone from BES (company). Dont know if you company would allow this but than you wont have access to your work emails. You can lock the phone without using password. But as I mentioned, they probably have it set up as a security purpose in case you lost your phone, no one can view your emails/contacts unless they have the password.
    Last edited by y2bandit; 01-29-09 at 05:20 PM.
    01-29-09 05:15 PM
    I understand that the password requirement has nothing to do with the apps, and that once the password requirement kicks in that apps can't override that.

My problem is a little bit different, though. Before switching to the Storm, I had the 8830. It has a lock button on the top of the device (much like the Storm does), which prevents accidental key presses from activating anything on the phone. But on the 8830, you can "lock" and "unlock" the phone with that button without it prompting you for your password, so long as you were still within the timeframe where the password requirement hadn't kicked in. In other words, the locking of the phone operated completely independently from the password requirement; if sufficient time hadn't passed, no password was required, but if the time had passed, you had to put it in.

For example, on the 8830 I could set the phone to where the password requirement didn't kick in until 30 minutes of inactivity had passed. I could "lock" and "unlock" the phone with the top button as many times as I wanted during that first 30 minutes without ever putting in my password. After 30 minutes had passed, though, I had to put in the password when I went to "unlock" it.

This is how I would like the Storm to operate. I still have it set to not require a password until 30 minutes have passed, but for whatever reason on this device once you engage the lock, it also engages the password requirement regardless of whether 30 minutes has passed. Just moments later I have to input a password to "unlock" the phone, even though nowhere near 30 minutes had passed.

Thus, I would like to see a locking app that lets me "lock" the phone -- it doesn't have to be anything more than a keyguard, in effect -- that doesn't require a password to "unlock" until after the password timeout period has elapsed.
    Last edited by foxymop702; 01-29-09 at 05:37 PM. Reason: typo fixed
    01-29-09 05:28 PM
    Ok i am sorry, i was not putting his app down i was just trying to be funny, but i guess it wasnt funny so i am sorry. I like the rest of you love new apps i am all for app development.
    01-29-09 05:33 PM
    Have you tried Autolock? no password needed
    Check the Blackberry Storm OTA Apps Thread that aradlahiji has compiled

but then again i dont have a password set on my device and im on BIS so no restricted IT policy
    Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. Apparently autolock just engages the lock function already used by the Storm, and that lock function (for whatever reason) automatically requires password entry regardless of whether the timeout period for engaging the password has elapsed.

I just wish we could have a locking system that operated independently from the password requirement (as I had on the 8830). I understand that the password requirement will and should override the locking system once the timeout period elapses, but until those 30 minutes have passed, it is a pain to continually put in a password every time I want to pull the phone out of my pocket.

Putting in a password once every 30 minutes (or longer) is no big deal. Doing it every 2 minutes, though ... that is a huge pain.
    01-29-09 05:52 PM
    Can you not just have the password? It seems that whenever the phone is locked, the password kicks in. Doesnt seem it will work independently probably because of security reasons.
    01-29-09 06:07 PM
    Stikemup, just wondering but when you finally get the code signatures are you going to update the first post with the link to the download for the app or add it to the end or create a new thread? Can't wait for the app and I just want to know where to look first.
    01-29-09 08:03 PM
    He'll probably start a new thread unless he can get a mod to rename it once its released.
    01-29-09 08:06 PM
    brilliant! im gettin that fo sho!
    01-29-09 08:14 PM
    Just so everyone knows, I finally got my keys and posted the app up.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/screenlock-148165/
    01-29-09 08:38 PM
    Just so everyone knows, I finally got my keys and posted the app up.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/screenlock-148165/
    downloading it right away....thanks for the app....
    01-29-09 10:41 PM
    How is this compared to talk lock
    01-30-09 06:20 AM
141 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD