I still don't know how to increase the perceive value of the product. It doesn't make sense to me why people think its worth so little.
    I mean, in terms of time spent versus cost, its probably one of the best purchases your money can buy. Most apps, have an average usage time of less than a day. A good game will last you maybe 13 hours. But a comic reader on your phone means that you'll never ever have to worry about being bored again. Wether its 5 minutes or 5 hours, you can just bring it out and read till your ready to go.

The software itself is extremely sophisticated. There are several patents pending on the lens technology alone. The work involved in managing memory and processing power on those extremely limited devices has been far more challenging to me than any of the work I did while I was at Microsoft or the starts ups I was with before it.

In terms of relative cost, 15 dollars is hardly outside of the norm for blackberry apps. Look, this Photo viewer costs 30 dollars! Thats twice as much as my app, and it doesn't even support zips and rars! In terms of real world costs, its even more ridiculous. A movie? Dinner? Unlimited Text for one Month? 5 gallons of gas? Most people wouldn't even blink at the much in the outside world, but on the internet it may as well be a thousand dollars

Anyway, this has turned into a rant, so I'm going to stop now.
    Again, I'm sorry for snapping at you guys earlier. And for all those who have bought my product, or will buy it: Thanks, and I do hope you'll enjoy it
    Last edited by comicreadermobi; 12-26-09 at 12:55 AM.
    12-22-09 11:51 PM
    Don't worry about, we all let some steam out every now and then. Didn't mean to imply anything about the value of your app. It's really a personal matter when it comes to perceived value it's all in the eye of the beholder. As an extremely casual reader, I don't have as much need for one.

Of course, you could make it up to us Loyal Beta Testers by offering a Recession/Christmas/Beta Tester temporary discount to $9.99.

Just a suggestion.
    12-23-09 09:01 AM
    Just purcahsed it (2.0), It is a vast improvemnt ont he last version I had installed (.08). the panel zoom alone is fantastic!

I have to admit I was "put off" by the price at first. Which isn't to say that it isnt worth it, but rather that I feel we (as a community) have been conditioned to expect to spend less thatn $10 per app.

If we take a minute to consider the prices of "other things" $14.60 isnt too much

New PS3 game $50-$59
    Movie ticket $8-$12
    New Hardback Book $13-$27
    Paperback Book $4-$8
    Comic Book Trade paperback $14-$25
    Single issue of Digital comic for Marvel's PSP reader $.99-$1.99
    Singe issue of a paper DC Comic Book $2.50-$3.99

So in the grand scheme of things I concluded it isnt over priced.
    12-23-09 10:25 AM
    Just purcahsed it (2.0), It is a vast improvemnt ont he last version I had installed (.08). the panel zoom alone is fantastic!

I have to admit I was "put off" by the price at first. Which isn't to say that it isnt worth it, but rather that I feel we (as a community) have been conditioned to expect to spend less thatn $10 per app.

If we take a minute to consider the prices of "other things" $14.60 isnt too much

New PS3 game $50-$59
    Movie ticket $8-$12
    New Hardback Book $13-$27
    Paperback Book $4-$8
    Comic Book Trade paperback $14-$25
    Single issue of Digital comic for Marvel's PSP reader $.99-$1.99
    Singe issue of a paper DC Comic Book $2.50-$3.99

So in the grand scheme of things I concluded it isnt over priced.

I had the same feelings yesterday too but immediately after install I realised that this is a high quality APP.

I've now used it for a couple of hours and I continue to be really impressed by it.

I've split my comics b/w Classic and Modern and even my old Warlords (B&W) from 1974 look great on it.
    Last edited by glasgow1967; 12-23-09 at 11:08 AM.
    12-23-09 11:00 AM
    It's all good. I snapped in my reply to you as well. Didn't want to come across as not recognizing the effort in bringing an app to the BB market. Apologize if it came across that way. I look forward to seeing the final release of this one. Merry Christmas, friend.
    12-23-09 11:13 AM
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your feedback, and I'm glad cooler heads prevailed.
    I'm actually redoing the website, getting a whole new look for it and improving the marketing to help convince people to buy the product. So, once that's done, there's a good chance the price will actually increase more. I can't give you a discount now, but I can probably make a special page that'll let you buy it at the current 9.99 Euro price.

There are a lot of improvements on this over the .8 beta, but the most significant one is that it no longer runs like crap
    The load times are much better than before, and the rendering is fast enough that you can actually drag the lens.

The new look is implemented. You can see the iphone version of the look here:
    Version 2.0 submitted (lots of pictures) - ComicReader Mobi

The pages now automatically size to fit, so you never need to scroll. If you have a landscape page, it will now automatically rotate to landscape view, and back again for the next portrait page.
    If you drag on the screen than you can select an area you want the lens to zoom in on, and that section will popout

The info page works, which will let you quickly see where you're at in the series. The series and file selection menus will tell you where you're at in each series and comic.
    There's a text sensitivity option which well let you easily adjust the sensitivity for each comic, as well as select between two presets for b&W and Color.
    Options are in to let you change the zoom level (I prefer 3x myself). As well as an option to split the double pages into single pages, and a couple other things I can't quite remember.
    Transparent onscreen buttons, or super transparent buttons, let you have onscreen back and forth buttons, so you don't need to rely on pressing the escape key.
    The transparent buttons are draggable so you can move them out of the way if they're blocking something on the screen.

There are some other things too, but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the new version
    12-23-09 04:10 PM
    I did not participate in the beta but did just purchase the final version. I have to say that the app is great and is worth every penny to me. I really appreciate small developers who are willing to produce well designed apps for Blackberries.
    12-24-09 06:37 AM
    I did not participate in the beta but did just purchase the final version. I have to say that the app is great and is worth every penny to me. I really appreciate small developers who are willing to produce well designed apps for Blackberries.
    I used every beta version and like some was nervous about price. Frankly there was nothing I saw in betas that warranted that price. After reading glasgow's review decided to take the plunge. WOW. Agreed nothing like betas. Worth every penny.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-09 09:09 AM
    I used every beta version and like some was nervous about price. Frankly there was nothing I saw in betas that warranted that price. After reading glasgow's review decided to take the plunge. WOW. Agreed nothing like betas. Worth every penny.
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys

It really sounds like the beta's may have done more harm than good. I'll see what I can do about getting a trial version out on Saturday, so those of you who are still hesitant can see for yourselves how much better the full version is
    12-24-09 11:19 AM
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys

It really sounds like the beta's may have done more harm than good. I'll see what I can do about getting a trial version out on Saturday, so those of you who are still hesitant can see for yourselves how much better the full version is
    I think the Pre-release APP is now getting very positive feedback that I wouldn't worry about the betas. I think we all enjoyed testing them.

A trial would be great. We all like trials here
    12-24-09 11:32 AM
    Note:ALL

This APP is primarily a Comic Reader.

It can, however be used to view image files in a zip / rar file, therefore with thought and experiment it can have other uses.

Last night, I zipped up a few jpg files and I was able to view them and the lens feature was pretty cool.
    12-24-09 11:41 AM
    Having manages to get through 2 comics since I purchased it I defiantely say it is worth it.

I actually feel like I can Read a comic where on the beta if was a bit of a struggle.
    12-24-09 01:15 PM
    Having manages to get through 2 comics since I purchased it I defiantely say it is worth it.

I actually feel like I can Read a comic where on the beta if was a bit of a struggle.
    I'm reading 70 page comics without issue, pretty flawlessly in fact.

Anyone who tested any of the beta's should not be concerned about getting a sub-standard APP, this APP is quality.
    12-24-09 01:35 PM
    For all the Beta Users out there, I've put up a super short(expires the 30th) trial version so you can see how much its improved since the last beta

Storm Users

Trackball Users 4.6 and up

All Other Trackball users
    12-26-09 02:49 PM
    For all the Beta Users out there, I've put up a super short(expires the 30th) trial version so you can see how much its improved since the last beta

Storm Users

Trackball Users 4.6 and up

All Other Trackball users

Thank-you for getting a trial done for us.
    12-27-09 10:53 AM
    Has the magnifier been fixed?

I have the Fansadox Collection in pdf. format and I was thinking of getting this app and converting them to cbr.
    I can't get my Storm back before the trial is over.
    12-27-09 08:09 PM
    Has the magnifier been fixed?

I have the Fansadox Collection in pdf. format and I was thinking of getting this app and converting them to cbr.
    I can't get my Storm back before the trial is over.
    What issue did you have with the magnifier?

For me it works great, with the option of x2 , x3 and x4.
    12-27-09 08:25 PM
    I was having issues with controling the position of the magnifier.
    12-28-09 09:45 AM
    I was having issues with controling the position of the magnifier.
    yeah, the magnifier is definetely improved. Its now fast enough that you can actually drag it, if you have size to fit on, than you can select a region to zoom in on, and in the options you can specify the size of the default lens, so if it doesn't find the the text, when you drag it it will become that size.
    12-28-09 12:21 PM
    Ok, I broke down and bought the app. This version is definitely more polished than the beta which were pretty flaky. There is still an issue with an errant Java error message that pops up here and there that closes the app down but it's still a major improvement over the betas. I do think the file selection could be a teensy bit clearer. I wish you could tell which file I have selected with a highlight before clicking and long file names just roll off the side with no wrap around. Minor things.

Couple of questions, I noticed there are a fair amount of settings but I don't see documentation as to what they all do.

Can you explains these:

Center HotSpot
    Just Transparent Paging
    Reverse Landscape

Also, I find it difficult to tap for lens and double tap for controls. It seems that the lens just expands or moves around. The controls are difficult to get to show up consistently.

Next, at one point I was able to draw the lens shape but now it seems that when I draw a shape, the page just scrolls around. How did I get this lens tracing mode to work?

Lastly, when you update the app will owners get free updates and how will we know when this occurs?
    12-30-09 01:46 PM
    Center Hotspot:
    if you press in the center, a bluish-green box will appear, and if you drag around in it, than the controls will come up. This makes it easier to access them quickly. Also kind of emulates swiping.

If both transparent controls and always show paging buttons are checked, than you'll see small left and right buttons on the screen that let you change the page.

Reverse Landscape: If best fit is selected, than when a two page spread is picked, the page will rotate into landscape. If you want it to rotate in the opposite direction, than check this.

Please keep in mind that you don't need to click at all while reading the comic. It only checks for clicks in the file selction menus. That might make it easier to use. If your still having trouble, you can also increase the double click time, to say like 1000 so that you'll have more time to click or double click.

The ability to draw the lens is only available when size to fit is enabled. In future versions though, I'm planning on allowing that whenever you do multitouch.

Upgrades will always be free. For right now, I'm doing it the old fashioned way, where I'll just email everyone an upgrade is out.

Thanks for buying it! I hope you're enjoying it
    12-31-09 12:50 AM
    Just wondering when the full release was planned to replace the pre-release?
    01-12-10 06:06 AM
    Well, I applied for the blackberry store, but I hear it takes about a month just to get into the program, and than theres the actually application submission, so who knows how long that will take...

Right now, I'm finishing up the android version, and I'm working on a whole new website. So once those are done and up, than it will be time to "officially" release the blackberry app.
    01-12-10 02:18 PM
    You know what would be cool?

If you created an instruction manual/how to as a comic book and included it with the app as CBR format .
    01-13-10 09:17 AM

Upgrades will always be free. For right now, I'm doing it the old fashioned way, where I'll just email everyone an upgrade is out.

Thanks for buying it! I hope you're enjoying it
    Thanks for the tutorial. I'm starting to get it now.

I have several options for turning to the next page, the back button( easy but a little counter-intuitive), double tap for bottom controls (a little challenging as the app tries to open a lens with a tap), middle tap and slide and finally side arrows (tiny so a little hard to tap with my seidio case). I must not love one of these solutions as I can't seem to pick one and stick with it.

The biggest win for this pre-release is the image loading stability. Much better. True there are crashes sometimes when you leave the app for a while but in the beta version, there were some images that would never load and since the app opened the comic to the last page you were at, you couldn't get past the offending jpg.

Cant wait to see what you add to the app in the future. Don't be afraid to use the Surepress screen and swiping. It will give you a little more freedom from timing tapping and the such.
    01-13-10 01:52 PM
417 ... 14151617
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD