OK, I put up a new version that doesn't expire for a little while longer. Hopefully that hold you over until I get the full version out

http://static.comicreader.mobi/Black...ReaderMobi.jad
    When do you expect the full version to be ready?
    11-11-09 11:05 PM
    This version locks up on those trouble images whereas the previous version let you skip to the next one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-09 07:03 PM
    I have been waiting for this app for awhile and I'm glad it's here. It does take a little while to move from page to page but it till functions really well. I really like the magnify-text thing. I can't wait for the full version
    11-24-09 12:33 AM
    I have been waiting for this app for awhile and I'm glad it's here. It does take a little while to move from page to page but it till functions really well. I really like the magnify-text thing. I can't wait for the full version
    Thanks!

I put up a new version which should hopefully fix the lockup problem.

I implemented custom loading code, so it should be able to read all the files now. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how it performs.

It also no longer uses temporary files, so it may even be a little faster.
    Last edited by comicreadermobi; 11-25-09 at 11:50 AM.
    11-25-09 03:09 AM
    Beta 0.7

I'm getting alot of "Unable to Extract File" errors.

When it does work, page-to-page is very slow.
    11-26-09 07:34 PM
    I downloaded version 0.6 and it is working great for me. Load times from page to page are great. That is when I am not constantly switching pages. Does the program background load the next page? Also is there a new version I am missing?
    11-26-09 11:31 PM
    I downloaded version 0.6 and it is working great for me. Load times from page to page are great. That is when I am not constantly switching pages. Does the program background load the next page? Also is there a new version I am missing?
    Latest is 0.7
    11-27-09 06:21 AM
    Beta 0.7

I'm getting alot of "Unable to Extract File" errors.

When it does work, page-to-page is very slow.
    The same file that used to lock up 0.6 produced this error in 0.7. In 0.5 it would just not load the image but you could find the page in the SD card with the media player. This version just hangs on large pages.

11-27-09 03:54 PM
    Hey all,

I found this comicreader mobi app and it looks amazing. I would love to try it out but unfortunately I cannot find the .cod file anywhere. I found the .jad file but that doesn't really do anything without the .cod (as far as I know). Would somebody be able to point me in the right direction?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am very new to blackberrys, coming from winmo phones. I am using a bold 9700 and I could post how it works once I got it running.

Any help is appreciated,

cheers,
    Dan

edit: dang, shortly after I posted this, I tried opening the .jad while browsing on my blackberry. All is good, downloaded and installed. Now to test it out!
    Last edited by earthdan; 11-29-09 at 07:17 PM.
    11-29-09 06:59 PM
    New version out! Hopefully it should stop all the crashing

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am very new to blackberrys, coming from winmo phones. I am using a bold 9700 and I could post how it works once I got it running.!
    Yeah, the blackberry install process is really wierd! You'd think they'd find a better way of managing it.
    11-29-09 07:56 PM
    Thanks for posting this.

I just found some digital comic books from Hustler, and now I can read them on my Storm
    12-01-09 07:59 PM
    For those keeping score, i just downloaded version .08

has there always a dragable box to select what you want to zoom in on [on the double page spreads] or is this a new feature?

I like it but so far the zoomed section only seems to stay for a few seconds
    12-02-09 10:34 AM
    For those keeping score, i just downloaded version .08

has there always a dragable box to select what you want to zoom in on [on the double page spreads] or is this a new feature?

I like it but so far the zoomed section only seems to stay for a few seconds
    Oh yeah, if you don't have to scroll at all, than the dragable box shows up.
    Its odd that it goes away after a few seconds though...
    12-03-09 03:21 PM
    Ok, so its not technically a full release, (because you'd have to be crazy to release a product while half the country is away on vacation ), but if you'd like to buy the "prerelease" version, you can do so from here:

ComicReader Mobi for The Blackberry
    Last edited by comicreadermobi; 12-22-09 at 01:10 AM.
    12-20-09 03:53 AM
    Ok, so its not technically a full release, (because you'd have to be crazy to release a product while half the country is away on vacation ), but if you'd like to buy the "prerelease" version, you can do so from here:

ComicReader Mobi for The Blackberry
    Just brought it.

No real time to use it but one thing I can say it does not compare to any of the beta's, it's totally different.

It's $14.00 but my initial impression is that it could be worth it.
    12-22-09 12:45 PM
    Just brought it.

No real time to use it but one thing I can say it does not compare to any of the beta's, it's totally different.

It's $14.00 but my initial impression is that it could be worth it.
    How is it different?

12-22-09 02:56 PM
    How is it different?

I think I tested all the betas and this pre-release is a finished APP that works.

Page-to-page is almost flawless. The lens was always good and it still is.

I think there is 3 pages of options. There is fit-to-page which was never in any of the betas.

I never thought it would look and feel like the iphone APP but it does.
    12-22-09 03:35 PM
    But $14?? Can't see that price for a comic reader.
    12-22-09 06:09 PM
    But $14?? Can't see that price for a comic reader.
    I have to agree. I think $7 to $10 would be a fair price for what this app is. I'm a little disappointed that the release version is $14 but that's about par for the course when it comes to Blackberry and apps with no competition.

12-22-09 06:22 PM
    I have to agree. I think $7 to $10 would be a fair price for what this app is. I'm a little disappointed that the release version is $14 but that's about par for the course when it comes to Blackberry and apps with no competition.

That seems a bit more palatable. If he drops the price, I'd be tempted, but at $14...nah. I'd just change the extension to .rar, expand it and read it on my mac.
    12-22-09 06:33 PM
    Thanks for the good review glasgow! I worked really hard to polish it up and I knew everyone who bought it would appreciate the significant improvements
    Last edited by comicreadermobi; 12-26-09 at 12:56 AM.
    12-22-09 07:16 PM
    honestly, these are all points you could have brought up earlier, and saved me the significant effort of writing this for your phones.
    Really? You could have just as easily asked folks on this board what they felt was a fair price for such a product couldn't you? Not sure where the attitude is coming from on this, but it works both ways. As with every product/service, it's all about the perceived value. Some will think it appropriate and some won't. If you feel you've wasted your time, so be it, but let's get real here. You develop a product and price it according to your perception of value. As buyers, we also have a perspective don't we? If we feel it's not worth the asking price, so be it. You are free to disagree, but that's capitalism. Sorry if that offends you. Gotta say that given this recent turn of events, I wouldn't buy it if it were $1.
    12-22-09 07:47 PM
    ok, so to address the issue of cost. someone implied that I'm taking advantage just because there no competion. But the fact is, I charge the same price for the iphone. taking advantage of the lack of competion would have been just leaving you guys with the slow loads and poor image quality and being done with it. but instead i worked really hard to give you guys a great product that would compete well against anything even if there was competition!
    A $14 iphone APP will appeal to comic book readers looking for a mobile solution for their iphone. It will appeal to comic readers seeking a mobile solutions for their BBs.

This thread was started over 3 months ago so I know how hard you worked and your APP does compare well to your Iphone APP. Maybe even better with the BB's storms larger screen.
    12-22-09 10:04 PM
    Really? You could have just as easily asked folks on this board what they felt was a fair price for such a product couldn't you? Not sure where the attitude is coming from on this, but it works both ways. As with every product/service, it's all about the perceived value. Some will think it appropriate and some won't. If you feel you've wasted your time, so be it, but let's get real here. You develop a product and price it according to your perception of value. As buyers, we also have a perspective don't we? If we feel it's not worth the asking price, so be it. You are free to disagree, but that's capitalism. Sorry if that offends you. Gotta say that given this recent turn of events, I wouldn't buy it if it were $1.
    I agree.

I enjoy reading comics and this is an awesome APP for doing so. For me, I was happy to pay for this APP. It is APP that I will use daily. For me, great value!
    12-22-09 10:07 PM

I've been hanging in this forum for almost a year now so I see what other developers do to try to get a buzz for their new APPs.

I would suggest offering a special Xmas price for a few days of $10.00, with a new thread here, to promote it.
    12-22-09 10:14 PM
417 ... 1314151617
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD