I have had a Storm1 since the original release date last November. Within the first six months I had gone through 6 Storms due to mechanical issues (click, dust, dust, speaker, dust, click). I finally got fed up with it so Verizon kindly upgraded me to the Storm2 for free and so far I have been through three of them. The screen on the first one clicked and didn' click back....did everything from hard and soft resets, wipes, and prying with a micro screwdriver, nothing worked. My last one had a blown speaker making it impossible to hear anyone when they called.

Before they switched me to the Storm2 I asked if it was possible to switch to a different BB and they said that their upgrades worked within a grid system and it is impossible to switch to a different device. This phone is screwing up my business like crazy and they don't care. I need a reliable Berry so I even asked for an 8330 that I would pay for and they still said no.

WTF Verizon!!!

I have called and called and called but so far I have lost several jobs due to an unreliable device and Verizon doesnt care.

It's a corporate account so switching carriers isn't an option (without changing everyone's phones) and I love BlackBerry but I need a more stable unit. It is unbelievably frustrating pushing the answer button to a crucial call and the phone does nothing. My Dad has had an 8330 for years now (never exchanged his phone once) and has had barely no problems.

Has anyone been able to switch devices within a contract or am I screwed?
    01-12-10 09:48 AM
    6 original Storms and 3 Storm2's.... hummm, something tells me it's something to do with you. No offense man, but either you, the way you're carrying it, or something in your everyday environment is affecting this phone. BB's are not designed to be carried around like a POS clamshell cell phone. If you have bad habits about how you carry or treat your device, expect it to act up. I'm not saying the Storm is bulletproof, but let's be realistic here.

What is your job and how do you treat your technology... if you're going to say construction or anything outside, you picked the wrong phone.
    01-12-10 09:53 AM
    If you are switching just one device, you should be able to just pay for another device. If you go to the Verizon store, they will sell you an 8330 for the regular price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 10:06 AM
    It is construction but I have always rocked an Otter box and I have to say my manners with the phone are impecable. I have had a solid streak of bad replacements. Plus I was in college when I first got the phone and have only recently been out in the field so I am sure it's not the job.

The phone sits in its dock when I get home and is hooked up to the vent dock in my truck when im driving (to listen to Pandora) When I am outside the phone is in my chest pocket inside my coat. I love this phone and have taken care of it from day 1....no drops, dents, scratches, moisture, or extreme temps.

I love my technology and maintain it as best I can. I just want to know if anyone has sucessfully exchanged devices withing a contract?
    01-12-10 10:11 AM
    If you are switching just one device, you should be able to just pay for another device. If you go to the Verizon store, they will sell you an 8330 for the regular price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    They said taht it wouldn't fall into their exchange grid....whatever the **** that is
    01-12-10 10:12 AM
    try upgrading to OS 428. I did that and my buttons work pretty good now. I know exactly what you are talking about, the original OS, my buttons would do the same thing, call come in, and I cant answer becasue the buttons are locked up. when I went to 428, buttons are almost 100% better. Still an ocassional here and there, but I mean occassional.

The 428 can be found here in the forums. It is not official, so verizon will not know what you are talking about even though most of them have it on their storms, just cant promote it at work. will void your warranty, so if you have a issue later, make sure you put 320 back on before going to verizon. I think you will see a big improvement by doing the 428, I dont know why verizon does not release it, it's by far the best OS RIM has had so far.

EDIT: If this would be your first ugrade to a OS from here, make sure you read up on it. do searches. It is all available on the forums. It is not something you can do from your phone, you have to do it at your computer and will take some time. But well worth it IMO. The big thing to remember, is read, read, and read all the info on upgrading your OS, what to do if you brick it, ect....it is all here. And do so at your own risk, it is hard to screw up a berry, but I imagine it can be done.
    Last edited by trucksmoveamerica; 01-12-10 at 10:21 AM.
    01-12-10 10:17 AM
    Craigslist a BlackBerry, man. Or try .428 like trucksmoveamerica said.
    01-12-10 10:20 AM
    It appears that you do everything right in handling your phone at work and home. But I am wondering if because of your construction job environment your phone is exposed to micro dust (think drywall dust i.e.) or some other type of contaminant that the Otterbox cant protect from.

Just an idea... it just seems a little incredulous that you have gone thru so many phones.
    01-12-10 10:24 AM
    Speaking of 428... try the 428/436 hybrid. The improvement isnt as dramatic as going from 320 to 428. But its noticeable.
    01-12-10 10:26 AM
    try upgrading to OS 428. I did that and my buttons work pretty good now. I know exactly what you are talking about, the original OS, my buttons would do the same thing, call come in, and I cant answer becasue the buttons are locked up. when I went to 428, buttons are almost 100% better. Still an ocassional here and there, but I mean occassional.

The 428 can be found here in the forums. It is not official, so verizon will not know what you are talking about even though most of them have it on their storms, just cant promote it at work. will void your warranty, so if you have a issue later, make sure you put 320 back on before going to verizon. I think you will see a big improvement by doing the 428, I dont know why verizon does not release it, it's by far the best OS RIM has had so far.

EDIT: If this would be your first ugrade to a OS from here, make sure you read up on it. do searches. It is all available on the forums. It is not something you can do from your phone, you have to do it at your computer and will take some time. But well worth it IMO. The big thing to remember, is read, read, and read all the info on upgrading your OS, what to do if you brick it, ect....it is all here. And do so at your own risk, it is hard to screw up a berry, but I imagine it can be done.
    def. no my first rodeo

but I will give 428 a shot and see what it does....might help
    01-12-10 11:36 AM
    They said taht it wouldn't fall into their exchange grid....whatever the **** that is

I think he is saying to buy another phone at full price not pay the difference for a downgrade.

Might not want to have a Storm with all of the dust you work with. Get a blackberry with a trackpad. In theory, that should solve the issues you are having with dust.
    01-12-10 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD