02-24-09 04:52 PM
54 123
tools
    So why does it feel like it was?
    Well, my initial reaction here would be to lob some kind of basic insult your way regarding your intelligence, but I'm too tired to come up with anything snarky right now.

So, I'll just say that to someone who doesn't know what it is to work with clay, paint, software code, hammer and nails, etc... It's easy to look at a finished product, with the benefit of hindsight, and make comments. It's not so easy to manage the hundreds of little things that all have to come together exactly right for the device to work at all, let alone well. But of course, the challenge I keep issuing to any and all takers is still on the table. If you think it's so easy to build a device like the Storm: Prove it. If you can build something of equal or greater quality and capability, you will almost quite literally be able to write your own check with any of the major cell phone makers.

So here's a quick test to see if you have what it takes:

1: Do you understand even the basic theory that makes radio communications possible? As in, do you understand how your voice is turned into a radio signal and back again?

2: How are your soldering skills on a scale of 1-10?

3: Do you know how to program at all?

4: Do you know the difference between a resistor and capacitor?

5: What is Ohm's Law?

6: Do you know what a multimeter is?

7: Do you understand the basic process by which batteries store energy?

8: Does power flow from the positive or negative terminal on a battery?

9: Can you read a diagram for an electrical circuit?

10: How do you have to wire a circuit to increase the voltage?

11: (Bonus) Could you wire a 3-way switch?

Some of these you could probably look up on Wikipedia pretty easily, some not so much. If all of these things seem laughably easy to you, then you're that much closer to actually being able to complete the challenge. But if any of these are head scratchers for you... Well... STFU comes to mind.
    02-24-09 03:02 PM
    hmm, I don't know.. I have been a professional software developer for 27 years and I built my first micro computer from scratch from an "Electronics Australia" magazine article in the 1980s. Anyway, I don't have to prove anything, Apple already did (ducks!)

we should stop now
    02-24-09 03:13 PM
    hmm, I don't know.. I have been a professional software developer for 27 years and I built my first micro computer from scratch from an "Electronics Australia" magazine article in the 1980s. Anyway, I don't have to prove anything, Apple already did (ducks!)

we should stop now
    So you can program and might have an idea how hardware fits together. It's a start, but it's not even close to enough.
    02-24-09 04:26 PM
    I never even noticed the color difference..
    02-24-09 04:52 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD