yeah... I like staring at my buttons! Graphical banding should be banned! it's just horrible... horrible I say! an iPhone wouldn't do this!
    02-23-09 02:02 PM
    Lol omg dude, get back on track topic-wise for where you are posting. This isn't a "compare your BB issues to world issues" forum, it's a BB forum for all things-BB. We shouldn't have to remember other issues that are more important in the world..that's not the point of being here. No offense, but get your head out of the clouds and stop telling us what you think is "more important" than these phone issues. In reality, everything is more important than this Storm crap, but that's not the point when you are conversing in here.
    So if everything is more important, why do people seem to waste so much time whining and complaining about it here?

EDIT: Just stop taking these complaints some of us have about the color to heart or so personal. Just let it go because anyone here has the right to complain about anything they want. If you don't agree, fine...mention it once if you must...but then leave it alone and let the thread continue.
    Who's taking it personally? I just question the thought process of people who come to an UNOFFICIAL Blackberry forum, and complain about this sort of thing as if it actually will make a difference at the end of the day. If you simply want to vent, that's fine, just say so. But to think that RIM is going to monitor every BB oriented forum/site out there, and that they give a cr@p about what one or two odd people might think... Well, that's a whole other issue.

Sure, maybe RIM is monitoring the overall sentiment on some of the bigger BB forums on the Internet, but I still have to wonder about people who seem to think that if they post something here, the CEO of RIM will see it and make immediate changes.

Anyway, that pesky job is calling, so I have to go.
    02-23-09 02:03 PM
    Are there people seriously still doubting that this color/quality change didn't happen in the last few OSs? Read the hundreds of posts regarding the matter. It's so fricken obvious when you look at icons/menu items and see bands in the color.

Why do people deny things so stupidly?? Seriously, if RIM doesn't stray away from this "tactic" and revert to the better looking color that takes advantage of this screen, then it's pathetic. How can the phone not handle something so simple?!

SERIOUSLY, LOL, what phone (esp. at this price) needs the color depth degraded just to run smoothly (which it still does not 100%). Haha it makes me laugh so hard.
    The Storm is fully capable of chewing threw whatever the original color depth was. I've still failed to spot this color depth difference, but I'll have a glance at my friend's .75 Storm.
    02-23-09 02:08 PM
    So if everything is more important, why do people seem to waste so much time whining and complaining about it here?
    Because like I said, "that's not the point when you are conversing in here," AKA this place is for complaining about this otherwise-unimportant stuff. Don't you agree?

Who's taking it personally? I just question the thought process of people who come to an UNOFFICIAL Blackberry forum, and complain about this sort of thing as if it actually will make a difference at the end of the day. If you simply want to vent, that's fine, just say so. But to think that RIM is going to monitor every BB oriented forum/site out there, and that they give a cr@p about what one or two odd people might think... Well, that's a whole other issue.

Sure, maybe RIM is monitoring the overall sentiment on some of the bigger BB forums on the Internet, but I still have to wonder about people who seem to think that if they post something here, the CEO of RIM will see it and make immediate changes.
    I never said the point of us complaining is to get recognition by RIM, because it probably won't. In a way, it really is a place to vent...probably the best place to do it for these topics. Also, who knows...if enough people band together and seem to complain about the same issues, maybe the right person will see it after so many times and it will be relayed to the right place. I mean everyone does always say RIM employees are lurking in here whether they post or not. You never know...
    But again, the main point of us talking about this stuff is just to relate our same concerns about our otherwise-nice phones and maybe find a solution.
    Last edited by guts311; 02-23-09 at 02:15 PM.
    02-23-09 02:10 PM
    Honestly, if you're going to complain about the loss of colour depth, go back to an official release. There's a reason the other OSes weren't released and instead they came to us as leaks. It's quite possible the colour depth problems in the current releases aren't permanent is it not?

To answer the OP: Install the latest leak, if you're not happy with the colour depth, you can always install your prior OS.
    Last edited by AngelDamien; 02-23-09 at 02:21 PM.
    02-23-09 02:18 PM
    Just make a hybrid. I did, now im running .109 with .90 colors. Oh and the original bold keyboard also.
    02-23-09 02:34 PM
    Because like I said, "that's not the point when you are conversing in here," AKA this place is for complaining about this otherwise-unimportant stuff. Don't you agree?
    Not really, no. At least not fully. One of the great things about places like this, is it lets people from all over the world bounce ideas off of one another, and share knowledge with each other. So if you have some problem that I've encountered and solved, I can share that answer with you.

I never said the point of us complaining is to get recognition by RIM, because it probably won't. In a way, it really is a place to vent...probably the best place to do it for these topics. Also, who knows...if enough people band together and seem to complain about the same issues, maybe the right person will see it after so many times and it will be relayed to the right place. I mean everyone does always say RIM employees are lurking in here whether they post or not. You never know...
    But again, the main point of us talking about this stuff is just to relate our same concerns about our otherwise-nice phones and maybe find a solution.
    I wasn't talking about you specifically, but rather some of the people you find haunting the rants and raves subforum. Barring the trolls that are an unfortunate inevitable part of places like this. Someone didn't get enough attention from mommy, or is trying to overcompensate for lacking a little below the belt (and above the neck for that matter), and somehow they get it in their head that making a complete @ss of themselves on an Internet forum will make up for these things. Barring those people, there are some that seem to be under the delusion that RIM's CEO has nothing better to do all day than read Crackberry. It's my mistake for not making it sufficiently clear that is what I was talking about.
    02-23-09 03:28 PM
    People just have very low standards. The banded graphics bug the **** out of me. Call me crazy, but I do not want banded graphics, and I want the phone to be responsive 100% of the time.
    02-23-09 03:39 PM
    It's very obvious. Yes it's localized to Storm menus and icons. But you would have to be blind to not see it. I showed my Storm to an iPhone lover and he freaked out and started laughing. I had to tell them that this is a beta, and the actual release OS does not have this issue.

But I agree with those that can't understand the "it's not that noticeable". It's so bad and so obvious, I think those that can't see it are BlackBerry apologists or partially blind / insane.

But I also won't complain too much about it because this is a beta release. RIM would never have a final with this awful banding. If they want good "take a second look" reviews they should make sure everything is made right.

So for the normal people that notice it... Don't worry! It will be fixed. RIM can't possibly screw up that big!
    02-23-09 06:37 PM
    reducing color depth for the sake of speed is a reason why no phone should run solely off java

java is a hog
    02-23-09 06:50 PM
    I must be blind and insane cause I cannot see a depth issue with 106 compared to 78 I even stopped by the Voda store to compare mine to their demo and there is no dif held up side by side.

I really think some people here are like a kid with a toy, mine is better than yours, my daddy is bigger than yours.

Someone showed their storm to a friend with an IPhone and they laughed at you because your color depth was not good?
    Geeez people get a life.
    Really it is a phone? Does it function and fill your needs for a phone or is it a game to see who can have the coolest new toy on the block?

I thnk RIM is aiming the phone at the people that choose based on what they need a phone to do and not on who wants to play who has the biggest ****.
    02-23-09 07:53 PM
    That's quite the leap you made there, and I'm curious how you plan to back it up.
    well, perhaps less stridently I would say that the only reason I can see for reducing the color depth is to improve performance, the only reason you'd need to reduce color depth to improve performance is if the hardware can't provide adequate performance at full color depth.. do you have a better reason?

reducing color depth for the sake of speed is a reason why no phone should run solely off java
    Isn't it more to the point that in 2008 they should been able to use a processor/graphics chipset that could handle Java comfortably at any color depth? Isn't it possible they simply cut too many corners in the hardware dept? Java is really not that bad although many people think the BlackBerry's implementation of Java (the JVM) is not as fast as it might be I think the problems really lie elsewhere and blaming Java is just excusing poor design and implementation decisions by RIM.

I still have my Storm fwiw and as my touchscreen skills improve I find I hate it a little bit less every day
    02-23-09 09:41 PM
    It's very obvious. Yes it's localized to Storm menus and icons. But you would have to be blind to not see it. I showed my Storm to an iPhone lover and he freaked out and started laughing. I had to tell them that this is a beta, and the actual release OS does not have this issue.

But I agree with those that can't understand the "it's not that noticeable". It's so bad and so obvious, I think those that can't see it are BlackBerry apologists or partially blind / insane.

But I also won't complain too much about it because this is a beta release. RIM would never have a final with this awful banding. If they want good "take a second look" reviews they should make sure everything is made right.

So for the normal people that notice it... Don't worry! It will be fixed. RIM can't possibly screw up that big!
    I agree completely, and hopefully RIM will in fact remove this change from the next official release.

Really it is a phone? Does it function and fill your needs for a phone or is it a game to see who can have the coolest new toy on the block?
    It is a game to see who has the coolest new toy. That's what technology is all about today...duh
    02-23-09 10:13 PM
    It is a game to see who has the coolest new toy. That's what technology is all about today...duh
    Silly me and I bought mine because it was best fit for my business needs.
    I should have bought an IPhone instead cause it has over a half million apps in the app store including a few hundred fart machines. Now that is cool.
    Last edited by Techark; 02-23-09 at 10:44 PM.
    02-23-09 10:32 PM
    I agree completely, and hopefully RIM will in fact remove this change from the next official release.

Between your "it makes me laugh so hard" comment towards the beginning of the thread and this crap, I'm going to say that people like you are what's wrong with the Storm.

BlackBerry devices were (basically) BUSINESS email devices until the Storm came out. Expectations are higher from the consumer community, hence these OS's are leaking out on a weekly basis.

And now people are COMPLAINING about color depth on a LEAKED OS ? I can't even see or notice this because I'm too busy using a FAST and STABLE OS. Photos are fine. Videos are fine. Icons? I could care less. I don't "compare with iPhone owners" because I'm not a complete and utter moron.

You guys want to deal with a REAL problem? Get a real job which requires a usable device (i.e. become a doctor), go out and buy a BB 8350i, and then come back when your radio shuts off and won't come back on.

Until then, STFU.

That's what I dealt with today.
    02-23-09 11:04 PM
    Between your "it makes me laugh so hard" comment towards the beginning of the thread and this crap, I'm going to say that people like you are what's wrong with the Storm.

BlackBerry devices were (basically) BUSINESS email devices until the Storm came out. Expectations are higher from the consumer community, hence these OS's are leaking out on a weekly basis.

And now people are COMPLAINING about color depth on a LEAKED OS ? I can't even see or notice this because I'm too busy using a FAST and STABLE OS. Photos are fine. Videos are fine. Icons? I could care less. I don't "compare with iPhone owners" because I'm not a complete and utter moron.

You guys want to deal with a REAL problem? Get a real job which requires a usable device (i.e. become a doctor), go out and buy a BB 8350i, and then come back when your radio shuts off and won't come back on.

Until then, STFU.

That's what I dealt with today.
    Hahahaha awwww, the adult in diapers gonna cry?? Waahhh...take it out on someone who deserves it, not people like me who talk about what I am supposed to talk about in the correct forum. In this case: A CONCERN OVER A BLACKBERRY ISSUE IN A BLACKBERRY FORUM...

Oh my god?!?! Who would have thought?!?!?! It's just so insane ahhh!

AND THIS:
    ...yeah, that's called a joke, wtf.

Haha some of you people are ridiculous. I've never seen this so much in a forum before. You freaks need to reevaluate what this forum is for and shut your mouths.

BTW, I'm in IT and have an 8820 for work...so you're not the only person here with a work phone. The Storm is for personal.
    Last edited by guts311; 02-23-09 at 11:29 PM.
    02-23-09 11:17 PM
    from someone who was afraid of upgrading for the same reason and finally did, let me say "No, it's not a reason not to upgrade".

I was under the impression that it would affect video/pictures, etc. It only affects the home screens/application icons, etc.

And I would have never noticed the difference if someone wouldn't have said it changed. Sure, now that I look at the icons I see the banding, but it absolutely doesn't take away from anything as far as this person is concerned (but to each his own.)

The speed gains, faster browser, better camera all more than make up for the fact my icons are not quite as sharp.
    02-23-09 11:19 PM
    I have the Appleberry theme installed from .75->.103->.109 and I have noticed no color depth issue. I suppose it's because the icons don't "light up" when selected like they do in the regular theme. Just something to think about as an alternative if it bothers you.
    02-24-09 02:11 AM

java is a hog
    In some cases, Java is actually FASTER than compiled code. And Objective-C, which the Jesus Phone is centered around, is also widely criticized for being slow. It's an odd mix of static and dynamic typing, but mostly it's the message system taken from SmallTalk that both gives ObjC it's strength as a programming language and drags it down performance wise.

Java isn't really the problem here, it's dealing with an embedded platform and the constraints that puts on you. Apple ramped up the CPU and GPU clock speed in the Jesus phone which does give a silky smooth presentation, but it also makes it so that the battery barely lasts a day for a lot of people. And of course you can't remove the battery on the Jesus Phone, it's hard soldered directly to the phone.

But I don't really get why people need to have these pissing contests about which phone is better. Who cares? I get annoyed with the Jesus Phone owners who think that it's something special, even still, and have to pull the thing out any time there's more than about 5 people around. And then make a big spectacle out of them using it. I don't care about an app store that has like 50 apps that do nothing but make farting noises, because you can bet the burping and armpit noise generators aren't far behind. Most people seem to lose interest with the apps they download within a day for the Jesus Phone, so what exactly is so great about there being a ton of apps again? There's also no cut/copy/paste unless you want to use some website as a proxy, no MMS (not that I care personally), already mentioned the battery was hard soldered, no app mulit-tasking (save a few core system services), apps aren't allowed to call any other app (so no Java), Apple won't allow apps like Opera because they compete with the Jesus Phone apps.

These are all things that rule it out for ME. I don't care if the next person has no problem with these limitations. The Storm works quite well for ME, and ME is what I care about. If the Jesus Phone works for someone else, and they don't act like a complete arse, good for them. I don't really care if someone's completely satisfied with their Moto Razr V3. Whatever works for you. But if you feel the need to turn it into a pissing contest about which is better, then you have to ask yourself what you're really trying to prove.

And so it was said: Here endeth the rant.
    02-24-09 08:35 AM
    People just have very low standards. The banded graphics bug the **** out of me. Call me crazy, but I do not want banded graphics, and I want the phone to be responsive 100% of the time.
    I agree with your point on the graphics issue. That's why my Storm is still rockin .75: acceptable performance, graphics and stability wise for ME (big up to bigman2 for valid arguments).

I don't agree with owners having low standards. Owners choose whatever leak(or mod) they fell will benefit them. In this case, many owners are willing to sacrifice some graphic beauty over system stability.

In the end, its your decision, OP. Give the leaked OS a try.
    02-24-09 09:07 AM
    Here's a screenshot of one of my backgrounds. You can see the lines where the color is just supposed to darken or lighten. It's a little aggravating but i changed backgrounds for now so i don't see it as much

02-24-09 09:23 AM
    well, perhaps less stridently I would say that the only reason I can see for reducing the color depth is to improve performance, the only reason you'd need to reduce color depth to improve performance is if the hardware can't provide adequate performance at full color depth.. do you have a better reason?
    Plenty. The higher color depth could be triggering some bug, and so they reduced it until they can pin it down to fix it. They could have lowered the color depth to improve battery life. It could be a temporary thing while they further streamline bits of the OS code. It could be that the color depth wasn't actually lowered, but they "stole" a few colors for the fade effect. Maybe they just hate people who whine about these things, and so they did it to annoy you. It might have been discovered that the higher color depths do damage to the screens.

Isn't it more to the point that in 2008 they should been able to use a processor/graphics chipset that could handle Java comfortably at any color depth?
    No. That complete ignores that pesky thing we call reality. You only have X amount of processor time, and you have to try and balance that with the fact that you have a finite amount of power in the battery. Increased color depth means more processing is required, which means the battery drains faster.

Isn't it possible they simply cut too many corners in the hardware dept? Java is really not that bad although many people think the BlackBerry's implementation of Java (the JVM) is not as fast as it might be I think the problems really lie elsewhere and blaming Java is just excusing poor design and implementation decisions by RIM.
    So, like I've said before, if you think it's so easy to do better, prove it. If you can build a better, cheaper, Storm... Every major cell phone maker out there will be all but literally throwing big bags of cash at you. You will be beating the company reps off with a stick.

It's easy to armchair quarterback things now, but you have to remember that the hardware spec for the Storm had to be finalized probably over 2 years ago. You can't just slap something like the Storm together in 6 months. Think about how much changes in the PC world in just 6 months, let alone 2 years. If you wait a couple of weeks there will almost always be something better, but at some point you have to make a decision to settle on something. You have to leave time to negotiate supply contracts, build some prototype units, give the dev team 6-12 months lead time to get the initial software up and running on it, and then get the thing into mass production a month or two ahead of time to get that initial stockpile. And this is just the 10,000ft overview of everything that has to go on.
    02-24-09 10:45 AM
    I am using the .90 radio code on .109 and the color is amazing!
    I also had zero issues with the .90 OS on my phone as well. I've had it running for 13 hrs and have had zero issues.
    02-24-09 11:28 AM
    I am using the .90 radio code on .109 and the color is amazing!
    I also had zero issues with the .90 OS on my phone as well. I've had it running for 13 hrs and have had zero issues.
    .90 OS should still have things like camera issues, mms forwarding issue, etc.

I was running .90 for a few weeks and couldn't take pics without zooming in 1.1 zoom (wouldn't save).

It's a nice OS (was for me anyways), but there are several advantages to moving to full blown 109 that make up for the reduced color depth.
    02-24-09 11:44 AM
    You can't just slap something like the Storm together in 6 months.
    So why does it feel like it was?
    02-24-09 01:38 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD