On .75. Only reason is if hate to lose beautiful screen. Also does loss of color depth affect pictures and video appearance? Thank you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 08:13 AM
    Its not that bad. Barely tell the difference in color depth, the only way i could tell was holding up my .103/.106 hybrid next to a .75 storm.
    02-23-09 08:17 AM
    In a word ....... No. Benefits far outweigh the tiny loss.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 08:19 AM
    It really depends on how much value you place on color depth. It's not like it's a huge difference, but if you look closely there is a minor difference.
    02-23-09 08:46 AM
    It never bothered me!
    02-23-09 09:07 AM
    That would be the most ridiculous reason not to upgrade. The color depth issue (if it's even true, I don't believe it yet, I don't see a difference) only effects the highlight/buttons. Your images, videos, etc. should all look fine.
    02-23-09 09:16 AM
    That would be the most ridiculous reason not to upgrade. The color depth issue (if it's even true, I don't believe it yet, I don't see a difference) only effects the highlight/buttons. Your images, videos, etc. should all look fine.
    Are there people seriously still doubting that this color/quality change didn't happen in the last few OSs? Read the hundreds of posts regarding the matter. It's so fricken obvious when you look at icons/menu items and see bands in the color.

Why do people deny things so stupidly?? Seriously, if RIM doesn't stray away from this "tactic" and revert to the better looking color that takes advantage of this screen, then it's pathetic. How can the phone not handle something so simple?!

SERIOUSLY, LOL, what phone (esp. at this price) needs the color depth degraded just to run smoothly (which it still does not 100%). Haha it makes me laugh so hard.
    02-23-09 09:51 AM
    Agree with others - not much of a difference when you first see it, and then you forget tht there even is a difference, so go for the upgrade!
    02-23-09 09:52 AM
    Definitely not!
    02-23-09 09:57 AM
    Are there people seriously still doubting that this color/quality change didn't happen in the last few OSs? Read the hundreds of posts regarding the matter. It's so fricken obvious when you look at icons/menu items and see bands in the color.

Why do people deny things so stupidly?? Seriously, if RIM doesn't stray away from this "tactic" and revert to the better looking color that takes advantage of this screen, then it's pathetic. How can the phone not handle something so simple?!

SERIOUSLY, LOL, what phone (esp. at this price) needs the color depth degraded just to run smoothly (which it still does not 100%). Haha it makes me laugh so hard.
    Settle down there Skippy. Repeat after me: It's just a phone. It's just a phone. It's just a phone.

And if you think you can design a better phone that can be sold at $500 or less, then get cracking. If you can pull it off, Apple, RIM, Motorola, HTC, LG, and Samsung will all probably be throwing big bags of cash at you to come work for them.
    02-23-09 10:34 AM
    No reason at all. If your Storm is rebooting on its own, laggy, and generally performing poorly, does color depth make any difference at all? For me, it only really appears evident on the home screen buttons. I can't really see any ill effects with pics or video.

While I would much rather have a device that is not graphically hobbled, I'll take stability and performance any day of the week.
    02-23-09 10:36 AM
    .90 was very fast and still had full color, so it is possible. Personally, I find it completely ridiculous that RIM even reduced color depth in the first place.. Hopefully when this mythical official update happens it will be fixed.
    02-23-09 10:42 AM
    So basically you're telling me that all these issues are okay and people shouldn't be sick of the failure by now?
    It's funny that you tell me to remember that it's just a phone...have you read any other threads here lately? Most are complaints about OSs and dumb little things.

I also just saw the same complaint that I gave from someone else so it's not just me.
    02-23-09 10:46 AM
    There's a lot of people complaining about this color issue. It's barely noticeable, I was going to put the .90 radio file in my .109 hybrid so i could have the best of it all. but the .90 brings back old problems, biggest being VSOD but not the only one.

so .90 isn't as great as you would want it to be.

I would be shocked if RIM left the phone like this though, I prefer to see it as a temporary fix that has little to no effect on my phone. It doesn't effect pictures or wallpapers, and if you install a hi res theme, bam, problem solved. Go pat yourself on the back and get yourself a cookie.
    02-23-09 10:51 AM
    So basically you're telling me that all these issues are okay and people shouldn't be sick of the failure by now?
    If you want to take what I said and read between selected lines and then add in your own interpretation that isn't even remotely related to what I said... Sure, why not.

It's funny that you tell me to remember that it's just a phone...have you read any other threads here lately? Most are complaints about OSs and dumb little things.
    And aside from annoying people and making you look stupid, what exactly does all the complaining get you (or anyone else)?

I also just saw the same complaint that I gave from someone else so it's not just me.
    And this has to do with what I said.... How?
    02-23-09 11:00 AM
    As far as I can tell, the color depth issue only affects the buttons and the highlights. Maybe I'm blind, but it does not appear to affect images or video at all.

My main source for this reasoning being that my background image is an outdoor photo with a large portion of blue sky, and there's no banding there, whereas the button highlights are a small blue gradient, and there's horrendous banding there.

I've seen references to the fact that the Storm's processor has a GPU built in and the RIM's OS has yet to take advantage of it. If that's the case, I would expect to see these UI issues to be resolved eventually, as you wouldn't need to reduce the color depth and your UI wouldn't be choppy if you have decent graphics acceleration.
    02-23-09 11:12 AM
    Well put bigman2
    02-23-09 12:13 PM
    The other thing people keep forgetting is that these are beta builds of the OS and you don't know what is going to happen in the final release. I see it pointless that people gripe and moan about issues on the leaked operating systems. When they release the official build and it has issues, then you can gripe.
    02-23-09 12:38 PM
    The other thing people keep forgetting is that these are beta builds of the OS and you don't know what is going to happen in the final release. I see it pointless that people gripe and moan about issues on the leaked operating systems. When they release the official build and it has issues, then you can gripe.
    People who complain about little things do so because it helps maintain the illusion/delusion that they actually have control over things in their life. When the big things start going a bit off the rails, you'll find certain personality types tend to try and hold on even tighter to the little things. Those of us capable of accepting that some things are simply beyond our control and able to let it go... We are often very confused by people who go completely mental over simple little things.

To those of us able to just accept things are beyond our control, we see something like a little banding in wallpapers or that text messages are limited to 160 characters, and we just say, "That's annoying, but oh well, I guess I'll just have to work around it." The other people will create thread after thread whining and complaining about it, desperately seeking someone, ANYONE, to blame, because that way they don't have to admit that the world around them is changing and they are failing to adapt.
    02-23-09 12:52 PM
    People who complain about little things .... have to admit that the world around them is changing and they are failing to adapt.
    A really interesting analisys, quite complex and well exposed...

Well, the color - issue is without doubt a minor one. Everyone should survive with such a problem .
    By the way, it will be really great if RIM will find a solution.

Surely the upgrade worths the effort, as the problem, once you use the 9500as it should be used, it's barely visible.
    My 2 centz...
    02-23-09 01:10 PM
    double posted
    Last edited by rmwolf; 02-23-09 at 01:23 PM.
    02-23-09 01:20 PM
    The color depth problem is blindingly obvious, just ignore any poster who says it's not real or not noticeable, it makes the home screens look cheap and nasty.

If they stay with this color depth then you know the Storm is in deep trouble because this is essentially an admission that they chose the wrong CPU for the device which means it's all downhill from here.

As others have noted though it does not affect media or images and since it is only cosmetic it wouldn't be a reason to not upgrade so long as you don't intend to show off the phone to friends

At this point we may as well take every crumb they throw us.
    02-23-09 01:35 PM
    Well, the color - issue is without doubt a minor one. Everyone should survive with such a problem .
    By the way, it will be really great if RIM will find a solution.
    I completely agree. It'd be nice if RIM would "fix" this, but at the same time I'm not going to sit around p!ssing and moaning about it like it's the end of the world as we know it.

Another way to look at it is that I'm a bit more selective what I devote my limited ire to. I'll save it up for things that actually matter. The fact that there are people in the world who don't have food to eat, or things that most of us take completely for granted. When you compare the color depth on the screen of a cell phone to the fact that there are people starving to death over in Africa, it's pretty much impossible to not come off looking like a self-centered @ss when you complain about your cell phone.
    02-23-09 01:41 PM
    If they stay with this color depth then you know the Storm is in deep trouble because this is essentially an admission that they chose the wrong CPU for the device which means it's all downhill from here.
    That's quite the leap you made there, and I'm curious how you plan to back it up.
    02-23-09 01:44 PM
    I completely agree. It'd be nice if RIM would "fix" this, but at the same time I'm not going to sit around p!ssing and moaning about it like it's the end of the world as we know it.

Another way to look at it is that I'm a bit more selective what I devote my limited ire to. I'll save it up for things that actually matter. The fact that there are people in the world who don't have food to eat, or things that most of us take completely for granted. When you compare the color depth on the screen of a cell phone to the fact that there are people starving to death over in Africa, it's pretty much impossible to not come off looking like a self-centered @ss when you complain about your cell phone.

Lol omg dude, get back on track topic-wise for where you are posting. This isn't a "compare your BB issues to world issues" forum, it's a BB forum for all things-BB. We shouldn't have to remember other issues that are more important in the world..that's not the point of being here. No offense, but get your head out of the clouds and stop telling us what you think is "more important" than these phone issues. In reality, everything is more important than this Storm crap, but that's not the point when you are conversing in here.

You should stop taking these complaints some of us have about the color to heart or so personal. Just let it go because anyone here has the right to complain about anything they want. If you don't agree, fine...mention it once if you must...but then leave it alone and let the thread continue.
    Last edited by guts311; 02-23-09 at 02:01 PM.
    02-23-09 01:50 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD