If I downgrade my OS to .75 (which did not have color banding) then do the OTA update on Sunday, won't that fix the color banding we see when DL'ing entire .148 OS? The OTA from what I understand will just be patches to fix previous bugs/issues. Am I right about this?
    05-29-09 08:10 PM
    Am I right about this?
    No you are not. The OTA upgrade will take you completely to .148. The color banding problem exists with .148, regardless of whether you roll back to .75 beforehand or not.
    05-29-09 08:20 PM
    I'm running 148 color banding is there.
    The presence of it is relevant to which OS you are running not what you had installed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 08:21 PM
    No you are not. The OTA upgrade will take you completely to .148. The color banding problem exists with .148, regardless of whether you roll back to .75 beforehand or not.
    But the OTA is just patches and not the entire OS .148. Therefore the "color banding" may not be present.
    05-29-09 08:22 PM
    I'm running 148 color banding is there.
    The presence of it is relevant to which OS you are running not what you had installed

I'm running .148 too and you are right, it's there. But its not on .75. If you downgrade to .75 then to the OTA update to .148 (which from what I heard is just patches to fix bugs/issues from previous OS') then the color banding issue may not be present. That's what I'm wondering.
    05-29-09 08:25 PM
    .148 is.148 is 1 fraking 48

it doesnt matter how its installed, the result will be the same

(BTW, this means the "color banding" will still be there even though i say anyone who is concerned with it needs get a life as its not a huge deal)
    Last edited by howarmat; 05-29-09 at 08:32 PM.
    05-29-09 08:30 PM

(BTW, this means the "color banding" will still be there even though i say anyone who is concerned with it needs get a life as its not a huge deal)
    OTA is not the entire OS like we have downloaded. That's what you guys are not understanding. OTA is just patches not the entire .148 from scratch. So if its just a set of patches the color may not be altered.
    05-29-09 08:33 PM
    Well i guess we'll find out Sunday 10pm
    05-29-09 08:35 PM

Not a huge deal but just looks cheap compared to other devices. Damn you yankees!
    05-29-09 08:35 PM
    it is the entire os not just patches
    05-29-09 08:39 PM
    Well i guess we'll find out Sunday 10pm

Yup. I was just hoping an OS guru would weigh in and know what caused the color banding to begin with. Its hard to imagine they would approve an OS that has the color banding as opposed to .75 which is crystal clear. A friend of mine just got his replacement yesterday (.75 OS) and the screen is MUCH clearer and more vibrant on all occasions. We've all gotten use to the lack of color in a sense cause we've been using betas for so long. I was impressed. Though it was laggy!
    Last edited by Pholey22; 05-29-09 at 08:42 PM.
    05-29-09 08:39 PM
    it is the entire os not just patches
    then why are the MB sizes different (smaller)? If you have ever done an OTA update it is faster than using DM to install a new OS. No way it would be faster OTA than hooked direct via USB.
    05-29-09 08:40 PM
    pholey i have no idea on an answer but i do understand what your trying to say
    05-29-09 08:43 PM
    pholey i have no idea on an answer but i do understand what your trying to say
    OTA updates are just patches to fix glitches, bugs, etc. When we are downloading these betas we are downloaded an entire OS (erasing the previous OS and everything on the phone (a complete wipe) not just small fragments of the OS (patch). I'm thinking if we install via OTA (patches) that the color banding may not be present. Think about it, when you do an OTA you do not back anything up on your phone because its not wiping the entire phone. Its just loading fixes to a previous OS and renaming the OS to, in this case .148. I could be wrong, I hope not. Make sense?
    Last edited by Pholey22; 05-29-09 at 08:53 PM.
    05-29-09 08:49 PM
    OTA updates are just patches to fix glitches, bugs, etc. When we are downloading these betas we are downloaded an entire OS (erasing the previous OS and everything on the phone-(a complete wipe) not just small fragments of the OS (patch). I'm thinking if we install via OTA (patches) that the color banding may not be present. Think about it, when you do an OTA you do not back anything up on your phone because its not wiping the entire phone. Its just loading fixes to a previous OS and renaming the OS to, in this case .148. I could be wrong, I hope not. Make sense?
    Ok... the color banding was done on purpose... RIM has chosen to use those resources to make the phone faster/better, rather than worry about the color in the icons and such.

Although the OTA update is just patches, those patches are going to include taking those resources away from the perfection of the color to use them in other areas of the phone. So whether or not you download OTA, or use DM to install the OS, the color banding is still going to be there.
    05-29-09 08:53 PM
    OTA updates are just patches to fix glitches, bugs, etc. When we are downloading these betas we are downloaded an entire OS (erasing the previous OS and everything on the phone-(a complete wipe) not just small fragments of the OS (patch). I'm thinking if we install via OTA (patches) that the color banding may not be present. Think about it, when you do an OTA you do not back anything up on your phone because its not wiping the entire phone. Its just loading fixes to a previous OS and renaming the OS to, in this case .148. I could be wrong, I hope not. Make sense?
    What you're saying makes sense, but it's not how it works. When you do an OTA, the OS of the phone is upgraded. You end up with a Storm running .148, just as if you update via DM. It's not a .75 phone running with some .148 "fixes"
    05-29-09 08:54 PM
    Ok... the color banding was done on purpose... RIM has chosen to use those resources to make the phone faster/better, rather than worry about the color in the icons and such.

Although the OTA update is just patches, those patches are going to include taking those resources away from the perfection of the color to use them in other areas of the phone. So whether or not you download OTA, or use DM to install the OS, the color banding is still going to be there.
    OK, thanks! Do we know for a fact it was done on purpose to enhance other areas of the phone? I've heard that but didn't know if it was just rambling or whatever. I guess the only way we can tell is to give it a try on Sunday.
    05-29-09 08:57 PM
    OK, thanks! Do we know for a fact it was done on purpose to enhance other areas of the phone? I've heard that but didn't know if it was just rambling or whatever. I guess the only way we can tell is to give it a try on Sunday.
    I am almost positive it was done on purpose. I remember reading about it somewhere (but can't remember the specific wording).
    05-29-09 08:58 PM
    What you're saying makes sense, but it's not how it works. When you do an OTA, the OS of the phone is upgraded. You end up with a Storm running .148, just as if you update via DM. It's not a .75 phone running with some .148 "fixes"
    Everything is really just .65 with fixes. That's what each OS is. Its just fixes on a previous OS. Otherwise, the phone would be completely wiped and new OS installed which is not the case with an OTA update.
    05-29-09 08:59 PM
    I am almost positive it was done on purpose. I remember reading about it somewhere (but can't remember the specific wording).
    Same here I just didn't know how much truth was really there. You know how rumors fly around here.
    05-29-09 09:00 PM
    No, it would seem to just be "patches" because there is no wipe and reinstall, but it is no different than if you went in and replaced every .75 file (including sfi, which controls color banding, the reason that the 90 RADIO is the latest file to give you no color banding) with 148 files, say through crackmem or crackutil. So, even though the phone is not "wiped" clean, all java, cods and alx's are replaced, so there are no .75 modules left. Sorry, if you want no color banding, stick with a radio prior to .90. Doesnt matter what java you use.
    05-29-09 09:04 PM
    No, it would seem to just be "patches" because there is no wipe and reinstall, but it is no different than if you went in and replaced every .75 file (including sfi, which controls color banding, the reason that the 90 RADIO is the latest file to give you no color banding) with 148 files, say through crackmem or crackutil. So, even though the phone is not "wiped" clean, all java, cods and alx's are replaced, so there are no .75 modules left. Sorry, if you want no color banding, stick with a radio prior to .90. Doesnt matter what java you use.
    Finally the answer I was looking for. I wasn't sure where the banding was coming from and if that file was changed or needed to be changed for needed fixes.
    05-29-09 09:06 PM
    Everything is really just .65 with fixes. That's what each OS is. Its just fixes on a previous OS. Otherwise, the phone would be completely wiped and new OS installed which is not the case with an OTA update.
    Pholey, each OS is not just fixes on a previous OS. You're thinking core .75 + additional fixed files = new OS, which is not the case. An OS constitutes multiple components, and when you upgrade via either DM or OTA, all of those components get upgraded (or at least should get upgraded).

If you want to selectively update certain pieces of the OS, then you'll have to make a hybrid. OTA won't do this for you.

Edit: and as Jason posted, the radio file seems to be the source of the banding. But if you make a hybrid with an older .90 radio file, you're not taking advantage of the .148 radio file.
    05-29-09 09:10 PM
    ok i guess i will try my best to explain this. Patches or Civic would be a little more knowledgeable but here you go.

Your device will download and go through part of the update procedure and then you will reboot and once it finishes it will have update the phone to the full 148 install package just the same as the using DM.

the install process is like a windows service pack really. It installs the files then reboots and finishes replacing the files that were in use. The files can be compressed into a much smaller download size.

Either way the result will be the same OS. and the color banding which is controlled by the radio file, will exist
    Last edited by howarmat; 05-29-09 at 09:25 PM.
    05-29-09 09:10 PM
    Good work morf and howarmat. I've trained you both well!

The file that contains the issue is part of the update, no matter how you slice it.

05-29-09 10:25 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD