I think everyone got this thread covered but I'll put in my 2 cents in. The storm is a great phone and a great addition to the bb family. Since you are a newbie to the bb world, the apps are much better than any traditional phone, though in the general sense still lacking til March. It doesn't matter that you are a newbie to bb to which phone you get cause you dont have anything to compare to. But in general it is a huge difference in texting/emailing from a traditional qwerty keyboard. There is a slight learning curve but keeping an open mind to the differences will help speed up the process. It is slower to text on the storm than on the buttoned qwerty and adjustments have to be made in speed since only one letter can be pressed at any given time. But not by much. The touch screen and finger scrolling is good but not for the fingerprint weak. There will be plenty enough to pull a full thumb print from. The trackball from the curve will also collect dirt but less noticeable. Also a thing to consider: the 8330 is an old phone at this point. Still good, but old. And with verizon, you will be stuck with it for two years. Unless you want to pay retail for a new phone.

So it comes down to the point of how much of a text fiend you are. If you type like the runner in the bold commercial, i'd stick with the curve.
    Last edited by bbstormboi; 01-23-09 at 04:59 PM.
    01-23-09 04:53 PM
    One thing I personally like about the Storm is the screen size. You can probably find hundreds of reasons why you should get other Blackberry devices over the Storm, but none of those would be screen size.
    01-23-09 05:05 PM
    hey just an update everyone I chose the Curve.... and I dont regret it at all... I decided i needed a physical keyboard but thanks again
    01-26-09 05:25 PM
    From my experience, a lot of texting isn't ideal with the storm. I would go with the Curve.
    02-16-09 10:21 PM
    Im in college as well and had a curve then switched to the storm. dont get me wrong. ii love the storm but i miss my curve now that school is back in session. it was slightly more practical for staying organized fo assignments and such.
    Heh I tell most of my customers that. 8330 more of your "workhorse and practical", Storm more of your "flashy, can do it too, but as practical"
    02-16-09 10:24 PM
    What ever happened to Top Ramen and a land line?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 10:57 PM
    My Curve's space bar actually broke one night from all of the testing, or my Hulk-like thumbs. I'm afraid my Storm might do the same thing, but after three months of hitting the same, single button as the Hulk, it seems pretty indestructable so far...
    02-16-09 11:29 PM
    I have 30 days and if worst comes to worst ..
    If you're in college 1st thing you need to get is an English syntax reference. Put the BB on hold until you have that down...
    02-17-09 07:09 AM
    Heh I tell most of my customers that. 8330 more of your "workhorse and practical", Storm more of your "flashy, can do it too, but as practical"
    it's true the storm really can do pretty much everything a curve can, it's just we're all hanging around waiting for the device to work out it's kinks, which you shouldn't expect anything less with new technology, but it's worth it to me.
    02-17-09 07:31 AM
    i got my storm on 2/13. i had a Dare, so i was pretty familiar with the touch screen qwerty. admittedly, at first- i was very disappointed with the storm and considered returning it.... everything seemed to be 'hidden' in sub menus.

after having it for less than a week, and having tinkered with it so much that i ran my battery down every day- i can say that i love it. the deeper i get into the phone, the more i realize it capabilities- and it simply smokes the dare and iphone.
    02-17-09 09:12 AM
    If your main thing is texting, and you're not too concerned about the larger screen and whatnot, you can probably send your texts quicker on a Curve rather than a Storm.

You mentioned that you're a techie, which will be handy for you if you get the Storm - as you probably won't have any problems installing the pre-release Os's.

It's entirely your call, but I have no regrets choosing the Storm and am really enjoying it!

• I get my Gmail, Yahoo, Personal Mail and work mail via BIS. Then I just synch the calendars to my Gmail Cal using Plaxo. I use Google Sync to get the Calendar on my BB - and select Google as my only calendar to display.
    • I've been using YouMail and VyMail - both free for my Voicemail and Visual Voicemail - and they both work great.
    • I've converted some movies and series from DVD's to play on my Storm! The conversion process is simple and it's documented on these forums.
    • My wife and I use PIN Messaging to communicate while I'm at work and can't answer my cell - this is a peer to peer messaging that uses your (unlimited) data plan, unlike SMS.
    • While I'm driving too work, I chat to my folks sometimes in the UK - The voice dialling is excellent (especially as I've changed it to English UK). I use a Jawbone II.
    • Ocassionally, I'll look at m.youtube.com and check my bank accounts using their 'mobile optimized' sites.
    • If I want to check a regular website - I've just started using BOLT - a web browser that renders pages server-side and sends them to the client - it's bloody fast!
    I think that you can do most of the stuff above with the Curve, but I love the large clear screen. It did take a little getting used to typing on it, but using SureType (a kind of T9 predictive), I can knock-out emails and PIN's pretty quickly.

The bottom line is - it's your decision! Hope this helps though!

Hey everyone,

I will be joining the amazing world of BB soon, but I need your guys help. I have been reading alot of this site and reviews and I am stumped on what to do. I need to know if I should give the storm a shot, after reading everything I am a little confused. I can't make up my mind on getting the curve 8330 or the storm. I am a constant texter and I want the best phone for my money. I ordered the 8330 the other day through verizon waiting for it in the mail but should I take it in and give the Storm a shot?

Thanks,

FYI I am a noob to all this stuff but I am a techy
    02-17-09 12:47 PM
    I would stay with the Storm.
    02-17-09 12:50 PM
    did you ever make a final decision, i see there has been no more posts in almost a month......hopefully you chose to stay steady Stormin it Up!!!!
    02-17-09 12:57 PM
    I also am in college. Went from a curve to a storm. The storm is awesome. Once you learn suretype it is super fast. The storm is pretty stable now, between Sith's hybrid's and the .106 OS, you won't have stability issues.
    02-17-09 01:33 PM
    I had the 8830 and switched to the Storm right when it came out. It took a little while to get used to but since i adjusted i have never waivered on my decision. It would be easy for you to just pick up the Storm if you did not have a BB before in my opion, as opposed to switching to it after years with another BB device..
    02-17-09 01:53 PM
    Hey everyone I'm back. I thought this thread would of died but you guys are awesome and filled me in with everything. I originally went with the curve but actually took it back today and exchanged it for the storm. Thanks VZW i will be gettin it on thursday!

Don't get me wrong I liked the curve but I just wasn't in love with it. I read this site every night and before I would go to bed all I could think about was the storm (and Heidi Klum but thats besides the subject). The qwerty on the curve actually hurt my fingers to text they were a little small.

So after much debate and testing my friends out in the back of my LES class lol. I decided these forums are just scaring people! It's not bad at all not excellent but not a horror story either!

So thanks Crackberry world and especially storm users can't wait to be joining you soon!

sincerely,
    Sulley9
    02-17-09 10:06 PM
    I have, and unfortunately for work purposes still have to use both.
    If you want multi-media go for the storm.
    If you want to save money and or your priority is more e-mail, text, and using limited online the curve is the way to go.
    02-17-09 11:24 PM
    I just swapped over from the Curve to the Storm. You really can't go wrong with either one. The leaked 103 build of the OS helps the Storm, particularly the accelerometer.
    02-18-09 12:12 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD