02-25-09 02:12 PM
56 123
tools
    Some funny posts here, but I do want to throw something out there for this discussion. I ride a motorcycle and has a wind faring on the front. I was told to never use windex on it because of the alcohol. What works best on it is Lemon Pledge. Although I have not used Pledge on my Storm screen, I'm wondering if it would be a safe alternative to alcohol wipes or shots of Windex on a cloth.
    01-01-09 09:19 AM
    Some funny posts here, but I do want to throw something out there for this discussion. I ride a motorcycle and has a wind faring on the front. I was told to never use windex on it because of the alcohol. What works best on it is Lemon Pledge. Although I have not used Pledge on my Storm screen, I'm wondering if it would be a safe alternative to alcohol wipes or shots of Windex on a cloth.
    Windex issue is Ammonia...not the alcohol. And Lemon Pledge is a furniture polish...no offense
    01-01-09 09:26 AM
    Windex issue is Ammonia...not the alcohol. And Lemon Pledge is a furniture polish...no offense
    Hey, its New Years day....yes ammonia, and lemon pledge is furniture polish, but it does wonders cleaning the window faring on the motorcycle. I was throwing an idea out there as a possible thing to use on the Storm screen, not looking for sarcasm.
    01-01-09 09:34 AM
    I use the cloth that came with screen protectors, or cleaning kit for eyeglasses or LCD monitors. (Household paper products will scratch eyeglasses that have scratch coating on them. So I avoid those, they leave wispy scratches.)

Another tip from a female perspective, but it works
    I bought an eyeshadow brush and use that to gently brush away any dust particles and lint that get in the little crevice between the screen and the body, speaker area, etc. Get a good brush (bristles hold better). Thin not thick. ($7-$10 or so, Walgreen's, Target). Sable. Not synthetic. Like this:

Smaller artists brushes would also work. (Art supply store, amazon, hobby/craft or model kit store.) My brushes were all expensive, but they do offer decent brushes in a beginner's line (again sable) for not a lot of $. Look for a "liner brush", short bristled. Long liners brushes (bristles 1" long) are too flimsy when dry.
    Like the #3/0 brush below:

01-01-09 09:46 AM
    Why not just get a little pump bottle of screen cleaner from office depot, It's made to clean screens and fairly cheap. A bottle would last many years. Of coarse you would still need a suitable cloth.
    01-01-09 09:50 AM
    Hey, its New Years day....yes ammonia, and lemon pledge is furniture polish, but it does wonders cleaning the window faring on the motorcycle. I was throwing an idea out there as a possible thing to use on the Storm screen, not looking for sarcasm.
    Right, but your faring isn't a slightly delicate piece of technology...yahoo's see someone sincerely suggest Lemon Pledge instead of the obviously sarcastic "put it in the dishwasher" (albeit they'd be idiots doing so) but they'd try it...
    01-01-09 09:54 AM
    The local Ford dealership will give you a free wash if you have service on your vehicle done there.
    01-01-09 10:00 AM
    I've always used an alcohol pad on all of my phones to clean it up/remove oil/smudges, with no negative outcome. As a plus it kills germs too...so you can't go wrong.
    To dry off I have used the lint-free microfiber-ish cloths that have come with virtually every electronic I've ever bought....except Blackberry ones. Or the cloths you can buy to clean jewelry work great too!

If you're opposed to that idea of household items for cleaning, I know that Best Buy sells some screen cleaners there, I would go in and ask someone.
    A quick internet search also revealed this site:
    MONSTER MOBILE® Screen Cleaners for Cell Phones, PDA's, iPhone, iPod, Cameras, and GPS Screens.
    I bet this would work great
    01-01-09 12:00 PM
    i use alcohol wipes for seeing glasses for my storm...they work great and the screen looks brand new when im finished, havent has any problems with it so far
    01-01-09 01:39 PM
    Carwash....exterior only......
    01-01-09 02:23 PM
    as soon as I took the verizon screen protector off of my phone i cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and then put it into a seidio innocase II. The smudges and smears have been horrible. today my coworker (that has an apple branded phone) was standing beside me as I was cleaning my screen with alcohol. He said his was a little dirty so I passed him the paper towel with alcohol on it. he cleaned it screen and it got rid of all smudges and dried with no streaks. He then said that his screen felt really rough and was holding finger prints and smudges like crazy. He cleaned it again with a micro fiber cloth and some LCD screen cleaner and it gets it clean but doesn't resist smudges like before. Before he said he could just give it a quick wipe on his shirt and he'd be fine, but now it just smears worse. Since I cleaned mine with alcohol from day 1 I'm not sure if the storm always smudges that bad of if my screen would have been somewhat smudge resistant had I not used alcohol. the best we can figure out, the iphone had some coating on it to help resist smudges and the alcohol removed that coating. Anyone know if the Storm is prone to smudges of it I ruined the screen with alcohol too?
    02-24-09 05:12 PM
    I cleaned mine with the Monster LCD cleaner and microfiber cloth then put on InvisaShield screen protector now the smudges don't show up as readily and in a pinch I clean with my shirt but still go the Monster micro way when I can
    02-24-09 05:41 PM
    I have a bunch of microfiber clothes that work well for me.
    02-24-09 06:11 PM
    i use microfiber cloth. it works good
    02-24-09 06:46 PM
    I use a 50/50 mix of ipa and distilled water. Get yourself a lint fee paper towel and dap a bit on the towyl then wipe. Works great been doing that on all my phones and lcd tv. Its the exact same stuff that's in the monster cable solution. Type IPA into wiki and it even states that it is used for lcd cleaning.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 06:51 PM
    i use lemon pledge on a micro fiber clothe. and i too use it on my wind screen of my kawasaki vulcan 1500 classic smells great and cleans well. pledge on the clothe them wipe
    02-24-09 06:52 PM
    toilet dunk works great
    I'm just gonna have to try that
    It seems like it would clean it
    But theres one problem it may break don't know if that will happen just throwing a guess out there!!
    02-24-09 07:01 PM
    I have hand sanitizer at work and at home and just rub it on my hands and when I have not too much left I rub it on my blackberry and silicone case. Might seen pretty dangerous but if you know what your doing you can do it without doing any internal damage...

but im sure alcohol wipes are better lol.
    02-25-09 02:41 AM
    I use Shamwow
    02-25-09 05:55 AM
    dish washer
    02-25-09 06:38 AM
    I heard gasoline kicks **** as a cleaner any truth to this?
    Actually diesel is the best for removing tar from the side of your car. I am not kidding.

On topic: I use my Oakley sunglass bag and it works wonders. I don't like putting any kind of cleaning liquid on it. I figure if dust can get under the screen so can liquids.
    02-25-09 08:25 AM

I use these for my phones, monitors, tvs, & laptops. They seem to work great. I use a different brand, the ones @ wal-mart.
    02-25-09 10:20 AM
    Cillit BANG!
    02-25-09 10:34 AM
    I too have noticed that after the installation of a screen saver, i.e. BSE, IS, GA or PS, the smudges are not bad at all. When the screen was bare the fingerprints seemed to harden on the screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 11:35 AM
    iclear works all the time with a microfiber cloth
    02-25-09 01:17 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD