I'm not use to how the sync works on the Storm compared to my Treo. I see that there are double appointments on the Storm that I am trying to clean up (I'm using Outlook Express as my Calendar and Phone Contacts).

I connected my Storm and opened the Blackberry OS and told it to do the backup, which it looked like I was able to clean out the Calendar completely (didn't see a single appointment), GOOD.

Looking at my Outlook Express Calendar, every thing looks in order, no double entries. Then I sync my Storm, however, I see some double entries in a few of the months, but not all of the months.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    01-25-09 01:05 PM
    Update: It appears as though from March-December, 2009, on the Storm, the daily appointments that I made are NOT listed as "all day events" and carry over to the next day. On my Outlook Express Calender, however, the daily appointments are exactly as they should be. So, I am thinking that some how when I clear the calendar contents on the Storm, it is being saved some where and being recalled some how. I would like to clean it completely and use just what is on the Outlook Express.

Thanks
    01-25-09 02:06 PM
    You can clear the calendar database on the Storm by using the Advanced function in Desktop Manager. Click Backup and Restore, then Advanced. DM will read all the databases on your Storm and display them in a panel on the right. The ones that are not grayed out, you can clear. Select the Calendar database and clear it.

The next time you sync, be sure to do it one-way only, from PC to Storm, or you will erase all your Calendar entries on your PC.
    01-25-09 09:55 PM
    Make sure the sync is only one way, ie: Either to the device or to the computer. I usually do it to the computer because I put all of my appointments and reminders into my phone, and then sync it to my Mac.
    01-25-09 10:22 PM
    Thanks so much for the help, just one more question, how do I make sure that I sync from PC to Storm, I do not see a box that gives me the option to do one or the other.

Thanks

hojo
    01-26-09 07:10 PM
    Synchronize, then Configure. Synchronization Configuration, follow the set-up wizard to ensure one way synchronization.
    Last edited by bkr6891; 01-26-09 at 07:28 PM.
    01-26-09 07:17 PM
    Synchronization Configuration under Synchronize, then Configure.
    Okay, so here is what I SEE:

I click on Synchronize, it opens up and then I see UNDER configuration:
    Synchroniziation
    Add Ins

When I click on Synchronization it opens up to:
    Configure Synch settings for my desktop program (and it doesn't look like I can open the box to the left...I do not have the storm connected to the PC yet).
    The next option says: "Use the default sync for the organizer application on my computer"
    "View the sync log file"

I'm not seeing which one I should use.

Sorry I'm slow at this, just don't want to mess any thing up.

Thanks
    01-26-09 07:27 PM
    Is this the way I should do it:

Connect your BlackBerry� device to your computer.
    Open the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager.
    Click Synchronize.
    In the left pane, click Configure > Synchronization.
    Click Synchronization.
    Select the Calendar check box.
    Click Setup.
    Select the synchronization direction.
    Click Next.
    Select the calendar date range to transfer all items.
    Click Next.
    Click Finish.

It sounds like I have one shot at this, I don't want to loose my entire calendar.

Thanks
    01-26-09 07:31 PM
    Do most of you do a 1 way sync from the Storm to outook/pc? I may change mine to do this, however when I did this on my last phone I had some issues. But since I never update anything on the pc, and just use it for a backup, I may try this.

Please let me know if the 1 way sync works for you.

Thanks
    01-26-09 07:37 PM
    Do most of you do a 1 way sync from the Storm to outook/pc? I may change mine to do this, however when I did this on my last phone I had some issues. But since I never update anything on the pc, and just use it for a backup, I may try this.

Thanks
    I'm waiting on a confirmation before I pull the trigger. On my Palm it was easy, they (Treo and PC) talked to each other so well. If I added some thing on my Treo it would transfer it to the PC, if I added some thing to my PC it would transfer it to the Treo. From what I have experienced, and I don't have a lot of experience, I'm seeing double entry; it isn't communicating perfectly.
    01-26-09 09:18 PM

Thanks
    No, Stang's suggestion above is not a good suggestion. It's something he does because it fits his needs. However, with his way, if he makes a change on his PC, it'll get overwritten the next time he syncs. This is why I said it's bad.

Leave it as bidirectional. That way, you can make changes in both places and it'll be in proper sync.

What you need to do is clean out the Calendar database on the phone COMPLETELY first. Go into Backup/Restore and into Advanced. Select the Calendar database on the Handheld and click clear. Then sync again from OE to the Phone. Check for accuracy. Be aware... Outlook Express BLOWS when it comes to calendar entries. Full blown Outlook is much better and doesn't have any of these issues. Just FYI.

BTW, before you start blowing away the databases on the phone, make sure you do a backup, just in case you mess up.
    01-26-09 09:46 PM
    Okay, so I give up, this is insane. I cleaned out the calendar from my Storm via the Backup Restore Advanced option. Then I told the sync to transfer data from OE only, not reverse.

So my calendar on OE looks normal, just the way I left it. On my phone however, I again see double entries. For example, I have my work schedule all set up, 'first in, second in, third in, call' every fourth week day. The calendar on OE looks normal, but the phone shows me on call on Monday, then Tuesday as well, but it also shows me on Tuesday as being 3rd in, which is true, but now instead of an 'all day event, it starts at 1 am, which is NOT how it looks like on OE.

What a pain, I never had this problem with my Treo. I wonder if the only other option is to have a complete hard reset done to the storm, remove the software from the Computer, leave OE calendar set up as is, then start all over.
    01-27-09 10:15 AM
    When I go into Advanced and try to wipe my Storm's Calender Database, it can't even get into Mass Storage Mode to do so! For crying out loud what the **** is wrong with this damn device.

'There was a communication error between the device and Desktop Manager'.
    01-31-09 02:31 PM
    When I go into Advanced and try to wipe my Storm's Calender Database, it can't even get into Mass Storage Mode to do so! For crying out loud what the **** is wrong with this damn device.

'There was a communication error between the device and Desktop Manager'.
    Hhmm, not sure, it has cleaned out my Storm every time I've done it. Are you sure that when you connect the Storm to the PC that there is a good communication between the two (two icons on the storm showing a link from one to the other). Perhaps the comm cord is bad (brand new out of the box, my wall charger was NO GOOD).
    01-31-09 02:34 PM
    Now, I've cleaned it off eventually..

NOW, when I change the sync to do one way from Outlook to Device, it reads Outlook but doesn't syn with the phone..
    01-31-09 02:39 PM
    Never mind, I found why: I had to check 'Replace all data on the phone'..
    01-31-09 02:42 PM
    Now, I've cleaned it off eventually..

NOW, when I change the sync to do one way from Outlook to Device, it reads Outlook but doesn't syn with the phone..
    Oh good for you, you saved me time on trying to explain what I can't properly explain
    01-31-09 02:43 PM
    No, Stang's suggestion above is not a good suggestion. It's something he does because it fits his needs. However, with his way, if he makes a change on his PC, it'll get overwritten the next time he syncs. This is why I said it's bad.

Leave it as bidirectional. That way, you can make changes in both places and it'll be in proper sync.

What you need to do is clean out the Calendar database on the phone COMPLETELY first. Go into Backup/Restore and into Advanced. Select the Calendar database on the Handheld and click clear. Then sync again from OE to the Phone. Check for accuracy. Be aware... Outlook Express BLOWS when it comes to calendar entries. Full blown Outlook is much better and doesn't have any of these issues. Just FYI.

BTW, before you start blowing away the databases on the phone, make sure you do a backup, just in case you mess up.
    Thanks, great help!!
    02-18-09 04:00 PM
    Never mind, I found why: I had to check 'Replace all data on the phone'..
    I am having this same problem, where are you seeing the replace all data
    02-25-09 12:55 AM
    Im using Microsoft Outlook and I always get the error and it wont sync. Im under the impression that it never will. I've tried several different things to get it to go and no dice. It has pi$$ed me off enough to just stop trying and deal with the fact that I have to print my meeting agenda before I go to the meeting. This makes me long for my Treo!!
    02-25-09 06:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD