According to cisco, my connection is so bad that it claims the the phone is in the box and the battery has been removed! LOL

According to cnet I'm @ 416.5 kbps
    Last edited by jamesandyori; 02-26-09 at 01:52 PM.
    02-26-09 01:45 PM
    I don't believe the Cisco software is working properly with the storm HW/SW. The button to download states "Download Beta BlackBerry Storm Application". Go to cnet.com and search for the internet speed test, enter area code, click wireless then click go. I think you'll find that is more accurate. I tried it with my buddy's iphone and my storm this morning and they were comparable. I got around 450Kbps(storm) he got 550Kbps(iphone). We ran the cisco software 5 minutes later, the iphone got 550Kbps and the storm got 56Kbps. As you stated with pulling down web pages; we saw the same thing...
    That would be the bandwidth speed test at Cnet.com, for those interested. You need to have javascript enabled.
    02-26-09 02:41 PM
    That would be the bandwidth speed test at Cnet.com, for those interested. You need to have javascript enabled.
    I would agree with the Cisco flaw theory. I get 360 on cnet, cisco has my average at 78 and my high at 91.

Not sure that I can post links yet, but the cnet test is at reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test
    02-26-09 04:26 PM
    With the Cisco App, every reading on my Storm, whether inside or out, is right around (kbps) 92 high, 77 avg, and 36 low.

The CNET test, 3 times each: (kbps)
    Inside: 1109, 1183.3 and 980.8
    Outside: 1115.7, 1095.9 and 1078.8

At all times the phone is showing 2 to 4 signal bars and 1XEV. (Just for comparison, the CNET test on my home computer, w/Comcast Cable Internet, was 1192.3 and 1279.8)

Sumpin ain't right. Has anyone got this figured out?

PS: I'm located just outside Annapolis, MD.
    02-26-09 05:51 PM
    is there an OTA for this? mac users got hosed
    02-26-09 05:52 PM
    Lostinavoice, apparently, the Cisco app doesn't work on the Storm, so I don't think you got hosed. I did get hosed for wasting time with it. Try the CNET online program. CNET Bandwidth Meter: Online Speed Test - CNET Reviews

The Cisco app is cr*p, imho.
    02-26-09 06:29 PM
    what do you want, a metal?

LOL @ the irony in that post, CLASSIC!!

here's your award
    02-26-09 07:32 PM
    The Cisco app does seem out of whack. I get 1188.5 kbps using the CNET online program! Couldn't get more than 178 using the Cisco app!
    02-26-09 07:56 PM
    is there an OTA for this? mac users got hosed
    There is no OTA link currently available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 08:39 PM
    I am in NJ and they built a tower last year right across the street. So I went over and stood next to the tower.

I get 75.4 kbps "web grade". Completed in 13 secs.

I did this test several times.
    02-26-09 09:14 PM
    At home in Colorado with 3 bars and -92dBm I was getting a speed of 50kbps. Then I traveled to New Jersey where my hotel has better reception, 5 bars and -82dBm, and I get 61kbps. The CNET test says 1141kbps.
    02-26-09 09:46 PM
    Cisco app is terrible, not even worth considering......
    02-26-09 11:23 PM
    The mobilespeedtest.com site doesn't display the true speed of the network for a BB. It says so after you do the test.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes but the reason it says that is because it "runs through a proxy" which would presumably make it run slower because it has to go through the proxy server first. There's no way it could somehow make those 3MB get to my phone FASTER than the data connection would allow. I'm going to try the CNET test and see what it says it seems to be more reliable and accurate.
    02-27-09 12:02 AM
    Yeah, pretty big discrepancy between the two. 91kbps top with Cisco, 721kbps with the CNET wireless test. Thats inside with 3 bars out of 5.

So using Opera mini with the Cnet test must be cheating right? I got a 3838.2kbps with Opera, lol
    Last edited by ever1ast; 02-27-09 at 03:28 AM.
    02-27-09 03:13 AM
    I can't seem to get the Cisco app to work for me.

I have done a battery pull by the way!

If I run the test I get the red ring indicating that it is downloading something - Then it takes me through to the results page, but there seems to be no data. I just have a '--' where my speeds should be.

Any ideas?
    02-27-09 03:37 AM
    I can't seem to get the Cisco app to work for me.

I have done a battery pull by the way!

If I run the test I get the red ring indicating that it is downloading something - Then it takes me through to the results page, but there seems to be no data. I just have a '--' where my speeds should be.

Any ideas?
    Here in italy we have the same problem, and after the test we encounter that is becasue this software want an apn of the operator and here we go all trought the bis service and the apn in the option are without any settings
    02-27-09 03:44 AM
    Here in italy we have the same problem, and after the test we encounter that is becasue this software want an apn of the operator and here we go all trought the bis service and the apn in the option are without any settings
    I am not on any of this BIS server stuff. It is just a personal phone.

My APN is set up as follows (I am on Vodafone (contract) UK):
    APN: internet

Authentication 'enabled'

username: web
    password: web

Any more ideas?
    Last edited by ukmgranger; 02-27-09 at 04:13 AM.
    02-27-09 03:54 AM
    After testing a dozen times I have concluded that the Cisco app always shows me siginificantly slower times (86kbps) that mobilespeedtest.com.

The discrepancy between the two is enormous. I do not think that mobilespeedtest.com is accurate either. My phone completed the 3MB test in a few seconds. Not what I experience browsing the web.

Having said all that I guess the take-away is neither app may be trustworthy or accurate, however I tend to believe the Cisco app a bit more as it is much more conservative.

I will continue to run both and when I need to brighten my day I will run mobilespeedtest.com which tells me I am running as fast as T1
    Last edited by todd123; 02-27-09 at 09:51 AM.
    02-27-09 07:15 AM
168 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD