I received an email with Chinese characters in it, and they seemed to appear just fine. I was able to read the email just fine. Is there a way for me to be able to type out Chinese characters? I'm about to leave to go to China, so I was planning on using my BlackBerry Storm there. Also, is there a way to shut off the data on it? I was planning on turning off my service, getting my phone unlocked and using a prepaid SIM card when I get there.

Thanks
    12-07-08 11:07 PM
    You're asking a lot out of such a new device haha

there should be language updates with the new OS, maybe check that out. As far as shutting off the data, I would go to 'manage connections' and see what you find
    12-07-08 11:10 PM
    Where can I find the language updates? I'm really new to this. I'm coming from an HTC Touch where I had quite a few programs to where I can use my Chinese on.
    12-07-08 11:17 PM
    For the languages you need to install the language pack. go to your carrier and download the handheld software, connect desktop manager and select the language packs you want.

For the data you can go to Options, Mobile network, Data Services - Off when roaming or just off.
    12-07-08 11:20 PM
    For the languages you need to install the language pack. go to your carrier and download the handheld software, connect desktop manager and select the language packs you want.

For the data you can go to Options, Mobile network, Data Services - Off when roaming or just off.
    Okay. I have the desktop software, but where is the section for the language packs so I can select which ones? I think the default for VZW Storm is Spanish, English, and some other language that I can't remember.
    12-07-08 11:32 PM
    Alright, just found Input support, but the only English as checked and I don't see Chinese. Any idea where I can find the files to install Chinese for the Storm?
    12-07-08 11:36 PM
    Under fonts east Asian support is there.. but I didn't see anything under input. you could check the Vodaphone package and see if it has the input support. it might not be available for the storm yet though i guess...
    12-08-08 12:18 AM
    I downloaded the beta version of device software ( Blackberry Storm 4.7.0.85 Beta OS), installed it and got all the Chinese and Japanese input. I can type Chinese without any problem but once I send it, it all became ??????.... anyone has any suggestion? Thanks!
    12-31-08 01:40 PM
    I am having the same experience that I can use the input, but once I send it changes to all ????. If I find out anything I will post.
    12-31-08 01:51 PM
    The chinese input works when I send an MMS/Email or use one of the messengers, but not with SMS where it still changes everything to "?". A workaround I guess is to email or send an MMS instead.
    12-31-08 02:08 PM
    I'm so interested in this foe mt storm.
    To the Op I was in china this past summer, have fun!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-08 02:36 PM
    in my email i can type and see the chinese, but once i send it, it all becomes ????, in SMS the chinese characters turns to ???? as soon as you hit return to confirm those are the characters you want. However, IM works perfectly fine.... could this be a bug that needs to be worked on on Blackberry's end or does anyone have any suggestion? Many thanks!!
    12-31-08 03:52 PM
    same problem here, a solution will be greatly appreciated! Happpy New Year!
    12-31-08 03:59 PM
    in my email i can type and see the chinese, but once i send it, it all becomes ????, in SMS the chinese characters turns to ???? as soon as you hit return to confirm those are the characters you want. However, IM works perfectly fine.... could this be a bug that needs to be worked on on Blackberry's end or does anyone have any suggestion? Many thanks!!
    Mine sends and receives emails and IM's with the chinese characters. The SMS can't even send them. I use a Gmail account as my email, but it also works with my Hotmail. I am on .85.
    12-31-08 04:12 PM
    Where did you people get the Chinese language pack for the Storm?
    03-01-09 04:26 AM
    use beta version .86, chinese input option is in there. so far that's the only i know (and maybe .85). anyone else??
    03-06-09 09:50 PM
    Friend of mine just came back from HK.he loaded his Chinese software there, I bet u can do the same in China.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 11:41 PM
    but i cannot even see chinese word in sms
    03-15-09 01:11 AM
    I received an email with Chinese characters in it, and they seemed to appear just fine. I was able to read the email just fine. Is there a way for me to be able to type out Chinese characters? I'm about to leave to go to China, so I was planning on using my BlackBerry Storm there. Also, is there a way to shut off the data on it? I was planning on turning off my service, getting my phone unlocked and using a prepaid SIM card when I get there.

Thanks
    Hi
    Would you able to tell me how I can read Chinese on my BB Storm??
    What do I need to download?

Thank you very much!
    03-30-09 08:13 AM
    I just got back from China and my Storm worked great! Even used some trial translator programs to help me communicate.

For those of you that travel a lot. WorldMate Live is one of the best programs I've ever used. It integrates everything.
    03-30-09 10:01 AM
    I received an email with Chinese characters in it, and they seemed to appear just fine...

Thanks
    hey, mind to let me know how did your storm can read/recognize chinese character ?

thanks in advance though
    04-04-09 02:23 AM
    Is the OS that's available from Hong Kong CLS on Blackberry's website only for the Storm 9500?

Given a 9530, what are the options for getting Chinese (Traditional) input?
    Last edited by FormerJ; 04-15-09 at 12:30 AM.
    04-15-09 12:28 AM
    I downloaded that CSL ROM but haven't installed yet. I wonder anyone install it and how is it?
    04-16-09 01:47 AM
    I hope there's good info here
    So, I'm looking for some feedback about the forum from regulars.
    Leave me a post and introduce yourself
    See ya,
    05-25-09 01:01 PM
    Verizon does not support any other language besides English and Spanish from the STORM via SMS (other devices are able to send and receive east asian languages in SMS). If you download the multi-language or the device software for east asia country of your choice, you can snag the files and load them into the device software you're using now. I need Korean and I have to load it into the device software each time i upgrade, but it's totally worth it.

All services should work with the east asia languages except for SMS.

PIN me if you need some help--there are several forum posts with instructions to load the languages you need.
    Last edited by supchingoo; 05-25-09 at 03:36 PM.
    05-25-09 03:33 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD