Hello to the Crackberry community, this is my first post. I have a question so I hope one of you will be able to answer this.

I'm expecting to buy the phone at full retail price and from what I've heard is about $500USD. My next upgrade is in late January on someone else's phone im my family plan, but I have the money to spend and I don't know if VZW will allow me to use the upgrade for my account.

Now... is it best to look to the VZW stores or Best buy? I'm a VZW VIP, which I doubt will help me in anyway, although I do have the BB reward card. I heard that the mail-in rebates from VZW will be instant rebates at BB...? And $25 off from the reward card? So around 425 + plus tax and what not. Is there anything else I could possibly do to lessen the price or am I sitting on settling with Best Buy?
    Last edited by Skeptix; 11-20-08 at 03:17 PM.
    11-20-08 02:50 PM
    call telesales (8002joinin) and ask if you can use the other persons upgrade earlier.
    11-20-08 02:55 PM
    You should be able to do an early upgrade on your other account. Maybe say that you're unhappy with your current phone and would like the new Storm. I get upgrades about 2x a year doing this. Well, not using the family plan method we're talking about but just saying that I'm unhappy with my phone. I've been with them though since 1999 and have a bill of about $200 a month, corp plan, blah blah so they're pretty good to me.
    11-20-08 03:09 PM
    Add a line to your account which will allow you to buy the storm at 199 then cancel that line. You will be charged 175 for canceling it early. Then the phone is yours and u can switch it to your number. That brings you to $375?? beats $500...just an option
    11-20-08 03:18 PM
    Add a line to your account which will allow you to buy the storm at 199 then cancel that line. You will be charged 175 for canceling it early. Then the phone is yours and u can switch it to your number. That brings you to $375?? beats $500...just an option
    Oh... good idea. Thank you!
    11-20-08 08:26 PM
    check out wirefly.com
    they will extend your contract and get you the phone for around $280
    11-20-08 09:38 PM
    I think you have to have the extra line for 30+ days or vzw will bill you for full retail (minus what you already paid). Can anyone confirm?

Another option. If the contract on your current line ends soon, add a new line, switch your phone number and service to the new line, then cancel the old line for the prorated $175 fee, or just let it expire when it expires. Remove all of the services from the old line. That line should be about $12-$13 a month after taxes.
    11-20-08 09:44 PM
    i got a curve in may.

and i am locked into the 249 price due to minupulating a csr on 611.
    its possible to do. just deal with cust service. dont go to a store.
    11-20-08 09:47 PM
    make sure u tell them about how bad u hate ur current phoen. and ur thinking of getting an iphone. that helps.

and as far as paying an ETF. Crastinate and look up verizon on the search.

and as long as anything changes like the universal service charge. which changes monthly. then that voids ur contract. and you are elligable to get out of it without paying an etf.
    11-20-08 09:49 PM
    It's only another month and you would be saving 300+ dollars. I'd wait.
    11-20-08 09:51 PM
    and since ur not a blackberry user chances are u will get the 2 year pricing when u switch over. thats what they did for me when i moved to blackberry in january.

and remember its always to deal with cust service(611 press 0 and wait) . u can hang up and call back if someones not willing to work with u.
    11-20-08 10:03 PM
    i just got off of the phone right now with vzw cust service. and a sup locked me in for the 249.99 price. i just bought a phone in may. so if i can do it and i am not even a year on this phone u can do it too. if u want ill email u the copys of the recipt when it comes to prove it lol.
    11-20-08 10:32 PM
    i just got off of the phone right now with vzw cust service. and a sup locked me in for the 249.99 price. i just bought a phone in may. so if i can do it and i am not even a year on this phone u can do it too. if u want ill email u the copys of the recipt when it comes to prove it lol.
    I'm in the same boat. What did you tell them?
    11-20-08 10:34 PM
    Yeah... I'd love to know how you pulled that off.
    11-20-08 10:43 PM
    say that you are going to leave vzw. and say u hate ur phone now. thats what i said. cause they were like hmm u just bought a new phone in may and had it replaced last month. i said yea it sucks.

i said vzw releases an os update that the speaker phone comes on for 5 seconds when you receive a call(not good for privacy), it reboots, it gets that null execption error, .

most impt, be creative. and use the end button if someone will not work with you.

i have a friend who just bought a storm on nov 11 at the confrence they held for busness custs. and just the other day they offered him anouther upgrade on his phone and the other 2 on his acct. and he just got his daughter a new phone in july. so it is doable.

be creative, be pushy. threaten with IPHONE and going to att. they say early term fees, say the universal service charge voids the contract so i have no etf. i didnt have to use the eft thing but it is useable.

its not hard guys. it was the easiest phone i have ever fought for cheaper prices for. and i have fought for alot of early upgrade prices from vzw. trust me. there basically was no fight.

it took longer for her to notate the acct and the supervisor to make note than it did for me talk them into the price. a big factor is the csr . if u get a bad one or a *****. hang up and call back 5 mins later.
    11-21-08 12:55 AM
    WOW!!!!!

Lie and cheat the system to save a few bucks on a phone that you aren't entitled to get? That is despicable. No wonder prices and fees keep skyrocketing - people like the poster above abuse the system.

Do not listen to this person, this is horrible advice. The FUSC does NOT void the ETF at this time. While this trick may have worked a few times over the summer, since that time Verizon legal has stated the FUSC does not constitute a materially adverse charge and they will not waive your ETF.

Not eligible to upgrade for a few months? Don't be an entitlement ***** - when you purchased your phone, you knew you were locking yourself in, and you even signed a contract. Either wait it out or get it at full retail.
    11-21-08 06:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD