I've checked around and can't find an exact answer to my question so here goes..My Storm decided to not charge overnight...the strange thing is the bolt over my battery appears and the phone goes into bedside mode so its clearly registered its plugged in...I tried a few battery pulls and still no charge..I then decided to put my phone on the usb to my laptop...same thing, desktop manager pops up and the phone registered it was connected but no charge, but the bolt is there...how is this possible? what is wrong?

Thanks
    06-23-10 01:47 PM
    Similar posts crop up from time to time. My own Storm 1 had a periodic problem with this until I finally decided that if I wait a minute or so for the phone to completely shut down (well, as much as any BB "shuts down") and then plugged it in, the problem seemed to go away. Whether or not that really had anything to do with it or not, I do not know.

Your problem could be with a bad battery. Typical Li-ion batteries are good for about 350 - 500 charge cycles (even a five minute charge counts as a "cycle."). A battery replacement could determine that. Or, the problem may be with the charging port on the side of the phone. Insufficient power delivery is showing that there is voltage coming in (thus, the lighting bolt appearing on the battery icon) but not enough to actually charge anything.

You're in a bit of a fix at the moment, as anything you do will end up costing you money, even if you're uncertain if it's the right fix or not. Do you carry insurance on your phone? If so, you can send it in for repair and any subsequent deductible. If not, I guess I'd try a new battery.

P.S. One other possible cause is that the OS itself has become corrupted. One day short of having my S1 a full year, my dialpad ceased to work. Repeated calls to VZW and RIM tech support resulted in no success, so ultimately, they sent me a replacement. In the process of preparing my original phone to send it back in, I did a wipe and reinstall of the OS. To my surprise, the dialpad now worked perfectly!

I've checked around and can't find an exact answer to my question so here goes..My Storm decided to not charge overnight...the strange thing is the bolt over my battery appears and the phone goes into bedside mode so its clearly registered its plugged in...I tried a few battery pulls and still no charge..I then decided to put my phone on the usb to my laptop...same thing, desktop manager pops up and the phone registered it was connected but no charge, but the bolt is there...how is this possible? what is wrong?

Thanks
    06-23-10 01:55 PM
    I've never gone about wiping and restoring my OS..will I lose all my contacts, pic, videos, and settings? I was considering trying this but I don't want to lose that stuff..I'm kind of a BB newbie so sorry if I'm acting dumb questions
    06-23-10 02:01 PM
    It's not all that hard and if you're a VZW customer, you can call them and they will walk you through it, step by step and stay with you right up until it's time for the reboot. As to your contacts, pics, videos, etc., that would depend on where you keep them. Do you synch your contacts with Outlook or GMail (or something else?). I THINK GMail will allow you to re-synch, but let's see if someoen else here pipes in as I don't use Gmail. I'm on Outlook and thus, all of my contacts and calendar items are saved on my computer so resynching is no issue at all. Photos are (or should be) stored on your memory card so an OS wipe won't impact the card (so long as you make sure that option is NOT checked). Finally, the settings...yeah, you'll have to go back and revise some settings as the OS wipe and re-installation will result in default settings being restored, but again, no biggie.

No worries about questions or "being a newbie" that is one of the primary reasons this forum exists!

P.S. Do you have a friend or acquaintance that owns either a Storm 1 or 2 (same battery)? If so, you might try borrowing a battery from them and see if it charges in your phone.

I've never gone about wiping and restoring my OS..will I lose all my contacts, pic, videos, and settings? I was considering trying this but I don't want to lose that stuff..I'm kind of a BB newbie so sorry if I'm acting dumb questions
    06-23-10 06:09 PM
    Thank you so much for the help..I called Verizon and they deemed it a manufacturers defect so I got a replacement under warranty..didn't even have to pay the deductible on my insurance
    06-29-10 11:43 PM
    Dang..typed a response once and before I could hit "Submit" my computer crashed, lol. Anyway, what I said was that I'm sure by now, you've verified that your photos and music, etc., are on your memory card and not the phone. Your replacement phone will probably not have a memory card installed, you simply take your old one and put it in the replacement phone. Once that's done, on the old phone, just go to Options/Security Options and then select "Security Wipe" (make sure your media card has been removed). It will then ask you if you want to wipe the device and/or the memory card. Select the device and let it do it's thing and your phone will reboot with a fresh, factory install OS and none of your personal stuff will be on there. Any apps you may have, will need to be reinstalled (hopefully, anything you had installed was from the App Store here on Crrackberry, it's very easy to simply redownload the app and your Activation Code is available from your account in the App Store).

Good luck with the new device!
    06-30-10 01:06 PM
    Mine just did this. New battery fixed it.......or whatever they did to it behind the Verizon tech service wall of shame.
    06-30-10 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD