What is the ideal way to charge your new Storm? So far, I've been letting it run all the way down to about a half-bar or so and then doing a 20-24 hour charge. I got this idea in another thread but I can't really get anymore information.

So, should I keep with this or charge every night regardless of usage or charge when it gets halfway down?
    01-22-09 02:55 AM
    It is ok to charge it every night. It is actually recommended you don't totally kill the battery. You should drain it low every 30 charges

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 03:04 AM
    i cant be without my mobile as its my cantact if my grandad has a fall or anything and they need to get hold of me..
    i charge mine every night
    01-22-09 04:03 AM
    What is the ideal way to charge your new Storm? So far, I've been letting it run all the way down to about a half-bar or so and then doing a 20-24 hour charge. I got this idea in another thread but I can't really get anymore information.

So, should I keep with this or charge every night regardless of usage or charge when it gets halfway down?
    I charge it every night. Charging a li-io battery twice 50% is better than discharging it completely and recharging it (in terms of overall battery life).

peter
    01-22-09 04:10 AM
    Sounds like its going in the charger every night. How long is a recommended charge? 8 or 10 hours or less?

01-22-09 04:34 AM
    I am probably dead wrong, but I charge mine ALMOST any time I'm sitting still.
    01-22-09 06:06 AM
    I have the old NiCad habit of not charging it until it's near dead. I know LiIons are not like that, hard habit to break.
    01-22-09 08:16 AM
    I have the old NiCad habit of not charging it until it's near dead. I know LiIons are not like that, hard habit to break.
    I'm the same way....I always used to find that i got a better charge when i let it die completely...at least for the first several charges. But I normally wait until it is very low.
    So we don't have to do that with these phones? I can charge it whenever? The battery wont get messed up?
    01-22-09 08:18 AM
    I'm the same way....I always used to find that i got a better charge when i let it die completely...at least for the first several charges. But I normally wait until it is very low.
    So we don't have to do that with these phones? I can charge it whenever? The battery wont get messed up?
    That is correct. Letting the battery die completely and then recharging it is actually bad for the battery.
    01-22-09 08:40 AM
    I am probably dead wrong, but I charge mine ALMOST any time I'm sitting still.

Same here! If I'm sitting in front of my computer the phone is plugged in. I don't want to run out of juice.
    01-25-09 04:45 PM
    That is correct. Letting the battery die completely and then recharging it is actually bad for the battery.
    Whoops, thanks for correcting this because I believed the opposite.
    01-25-09 04:54 PM
    Anytime I see a plug I start twitching! Whenever it's not on my side I am usually leeching a charge from some place.
    01-25-09 05:17 PM
    I use it all day long.

I charge it all night long.

If this happens to be too taxing, well, new battery coming right up in 6 months then!
    01-25-09 05:24 PM
    Did not know that. Breaking out the charger now.
    01-25-09 05:42 PM
    I charge my phone each night for about 8 hours because my phone is low by the end of the evening. I don't know about charging for 20 - 24 hours, I've never heard doing that. It sounds a little excessive to me.
    01-25-09 06:37 PM
    Anytime I'm not using my phone I'm generally charging it. This ended up getting into quite the debate with a friend who was used to the old NiCad batteries and INSISTED that you must let the battery die before charging it. Thanks for clearing this up for me too guys!
    01-25-09 07:14 PM
    I charge mine every night. With the proper charger even if you leave it plugged in 24 hours it will quit charging when it has a full charge. You can not overcharge.
    01-25-09 07:17 PM
    I was wondering the same thing since I got the loading dock (and some other stuff. To the dismay of my girlfriend ) and that one is always connected to either the wall plug or a computer via usb. So whenever its in its dock when I am at work or at home, its charging. Good to know it won't harm the battery.

Making sure that it gets down to near nothing once every 30 days/charges shouldn't be a problem on this side
    01-26-09 03:58 AM
    I'm using an 8220 flip and I couldn't help myself but comment here. I actually needed to buy a replacement battery because I use the phone so much I end up discharging a battery 3/4 way thru the day! If discharging the battery all the way kills the li ion batteries, I better take out the first one before it dies completely.

Now before you start gloating about how much longer your storm battery lasts, I use my phone constantly. If I'm not actually on the phone calling someone, I'm listening to streaming radio while emailing or checking maps, I literally have the phone in my hand the whole day. It does everything! And that's why I need more than one battery!! Enjoy people!

01-26-09 04:54 AM
    OK. It is bad for the battery to be COMPLETELY dead. However, It is good to let the battery drain almost all the way. I would say 5% is my limit.

These batteries have multiple cells in them that need to be used in order to keep them working and charging to their fullest potential. If you do not run out all the cells, every so often, the cells that you dont use lose some of their capacity and usefulness.(This will take a while but will get you in the long run)

Also, these batteries have a cap on the number of charging cycles. It is more than you will ever need but if your constantly charging it you are using these up faster than needed.

As proof to this. If i charge my storm from 50% to 100% it will last maybe a day and a half. But if i charge it from 5% to 100% like i usually do it lasts me three days. And when i charge it from 5% it only takes 3 hours or a little less to charge to 100%. Never longer than 3 hrs. THERE IS NO NEED TO CHARGE LONGER THAN IT TAKES TO GET TO 100%.

If you dont believe it just try it out. If it is hanging around 20% and you need to charge it for the next day just play some games and such until the battery meter turns red. Do this a couple cycles in a row and you will be surprised how well it works.
    01-26-09 06:14 PM
    I have a curve 8310 and over the last 18 months, I have charged it every night regardless of battery status at day's end. The battery is as powerful as it ever was. On a slow day (10 - 15 calls & 6 -10 emails & 12 texts) I use about 15% of my battery.

I have no plans to buy anything other than a BB but I have to ask -- why has no other manufacturer managed to build a battery like BB?
    01-26-09 06:20 PM
    msc2020 no offense, but you have no idea how powerful your battery is because your not using 75% of it. That 15% may work as well because you use and then recharge that portion. But over time the part that you do not use will be crap.
    Also, you are increasing the stress on that 1 particular cell. you will run into issues.
    01-26-09 06:37 PM
    I try to let mine go down to the red stage and then charge it in bedside mode for like 4-6 hours. As my daily activities have a very large standard deviation, I sprung for a second battery just to keep me from worrying about your question too much during the day !

Doctor Neutron
    01-26-09 10:30 PM
    The charging control circuitry will keep it from overcharging, so you can leave it on the charger forever and a day. That's why lithium-based stuff is so expensive -- it needs careful oversight or it will destroy itself, one way or another.

("one way...": cell drops under 3 volts = battery starts digesting itself; loses capacity rapidly.
    "...or another": cell is charged over 4.2 volts = battery overheats; releases hydrogen gas; burns like hades.)

Remote-controlled flight folks cart around sandbuckets and ammo boxes for charging LiPo batteries for good reason...
    Last edited by XenIneX; 01-26-09 at 11:35 PM. Reason: meh...
    01-26-09 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD