I was thinking about changing my bezzel on my storm and was wondering if anybody has any info on the difficulty level.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-10 11:39 PM
    very difficult. I was going to try the same (there are sites showing the process) but RIM designed the storm with many small, delicate wires and components connected to the bezel you must carefully remove.

It has been done but I chickened out. I wanted a black bezel and even bought one off the Hong Kong site. Got it here and was shocked at what was involved.

Hope you succeed.

05-21-10 06:14 AM
    I have tried several times and ha e failed each time. In my experience there is no way to safely remove the small parts and reinstall them on the new bezel. Something will get damqged. At the minimum you will need to buy a new keypad and the cable that goes to the top buttons.

But, if you just want to replace it due to damage with the same color bezel there is a guy on eBay who sells them already with all the delicate parts, a new ear soeaker, and a new top cover already installed for about $20. Then it is a pretty easy project. If I remember when I get home tonight I will post the seller name.

05-21-10 07:41 AM
    Man I watched a video on you tube after I posted n the guy in that video made it look so easy. How sweet would a blacked out storm be. I think I gotta order it n see.

05-21-10 12:17 PM
    It is easy as long as you don't have to transfer the speaker, buttons, keys, etc.

THe seller on eBay I got the complete bezel from was scopeoptics. Unfortunately it appears he does not have anything for sale right now.
    05-22-10 02:43 AM
    Ya not a happy camper. Got my new bezel today and after taking the screws out and taking the plastic covers off I realized I am in no way shape or form a phone tech. Anybody want to buy a black bezel lol

05-27-10 12:56 AM
    how much for the bezel??
    05-27-10 11:08 AM
    Ya not a happy camper. Got my new bezel today and after taking the screws out and taking the plastic covers off I realized I am in no way shape or form a phone tech. Anybody want to buy a black bezel lol

Same here. Bought a black bezel because an all black storm would be f'n awesome.... I always thought the chrome trim looked cheesy.

Took off the old bezel fairly easy and them saw the cobweb-delicate connections underneath. No way I was going to try. Now I have a worthless unused black bezel. I would even consider paying an extra fee for the black bezel already assembled with ribbon wire connections in place.

05-27-10 10:35 PM
    You know, the bezel is already black. it's just plated with chrome.

For protection, tape everything off with masking tape so you don't scratch the screen or surrounding plastic parts.

Once the surrounding areas are protected, get a green Scotch pad and start working of teh chrome plating. It will be time consuming, especially when trying to work the edges near the screen, but at least you won't risk breaking any wires to get the same result.

Hope that helps.
    05-28-10 09:35 AM
    how much for the bezel??
    Tell ya what here is my pin 30546576 send me your info n I will pay it forward.

05-28-10 06:30 PM
    You know, the bezel is already black. it's just plated with chrome.

For protection, tape everything off with masking tape so you don't scratch the screen or surrounding plastic parts.

Once the surrounding areas are protected, get a green Scotch pad and start working of teh chrome plating. It will be time consuming, especially when trying to work the edges near the screen, but at least you won't risk breaking any wires to get the same result.

Hope that helps.
    That is exactly what I'm gonna do. Pretty sure its a fake chrome plating since its been bounced of the concrete a couple times and it has black spots where it got chipped. Thanks for the post tho

05-28-10 06:35 PM
    excellent. Be sure to post some pics after you're finished.
    05-29-10 09:26 AM
    Well just started the project of sanding the bezel to a black finish n wow does it look sweet still have some touch to to do but that will have to wait till after work. Hopefully I am able to post a pic cuz this blacked out storm is lookin bad a$$ it even fixed the minor nicks from dropping it.

06-08-10 05:29 PM
    Well just started the project of sanding the bezel to a black finish n wow does it look sweet still have some touch to to do but that will have to wait till after work. Hopefully I am able to post a pic cuz this blacked out storm is lookin bad a$$ it even fixed the minor nicks from dropping it.

Awesome. Well done!

I'm excited to see it so I'll be on the lookout for those pics.
    06-09-10 08:10 AM
    Awesome. Well done!

I'm excited to see it so I'll be on the lookout for those pics.
    I took a Scotch Pad to mine the other day and it turned out pretty nice. I didn't do the side buttons, but the chrome bezel around the chassis is now a nice flat black. I went with a carbon fiber background to go along with the 'murdered out' appearance. I'm happy.

Attachment 65000

Attachment 65001

xb
    06-14-10 07:37 AM
    I took a Scotch Pad to mine the other day and it turned out pretty nice. I didn't do the side buttons, but the chrome bezel around the chassis is now a nice flat black. I went with a carbon fiber background to go along with the 'murdered out' appearance. I'm happy.

Attachment 65000

Attachment 65001

xb
    Looks really good. I like the flat back too way better than had it been a glossy finish. Great job.

Also, the buttons are white underneath the chrome, so it's a good thing you didn't try to work that off.

Thanks for sharing the pics.
    06-14-10 01:37 PM
    Mine looks exactly the same just haven't been able to post a pic. Pretty easy if you take your time and be careful. Looks good bob n I couldn't agree with you more on how much better it looks. IMO that's how they should have rolled out from the factory.

06-14-10 05:06 PM
    Mine looks exactly the same just haven't been able to post a pic. Pretty easy if you take your time and be careful. Looks good bob n I couldn't agree with you more on how much better it looks. IMO that's how they should have rolled out from the factory.
    You're right, blacked out would be a nice option. The pictures may not show it, but I tried to dull down the areas above and below the screen, where the function buttons are on the bottom and the lock and mute buttons are on top. All I ended up doing was putting a lot of random scratches in those areas. I'm not sure how I can easily dull those areas down and make them an even flat finish. Anyone trying this might want to protect those gloss areas unless they are willing to take a chance.
    06-16-10 06:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD