1. DaTerpsDaTerpsDaTerpsDaTerps's Avatar
    I've also posted this on the Google support forum:
    Changing default map setting to Google Maps / default maps service - Google Mobile Help
    3ws dot google dot com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=3326a1c785f4485e&hl=en
    [I had to put a break in the URL because I haven't posted 10 times yet - they forum's rules wouldn't allow a URL post]

Phone: BlackBerry Storm 9530 from Verizon
    OS version: 4.7.0.75

How do I change the default service option for maps to Google Maps?

This is where I'm looking:
    Options / Advanced Options / Maps / Default Service

The only option listed is BlackBerry Maps - NA

One of the great things about the BlackBerry is the linking between contacts and apps and all other functions.

The use case here is: When I travel for business I am driving a lot visiting customers and I often have to get from one place to another up to 10 or more times a day. I would like to be able to standarize on using Google Maps so that I don't have to learn multiple interfaces and also because Google Maps simply kicks ***. It would be easy for me to simply pull up a person's contact info, click Map Business in the menu and bring up Google Maps to get directions. Currently, it only pulls up BlackBerry Maps. Plus, when Google fixes Maps to incorporate the Storm's GPS, then I won't have to enter my current address or use the Cell Tower location feature.

It would also be nice if Google were to add a menu item into the Mennu for Calendar items, too. Currently, the only option for mapping a location listed in a Calender item is with VZ Navigator, which I will definitely not be paying for - I already pay Verizon for enough crap (Visual Voicemail - this should be free!).
    12-06-08 01:35 PM
  2. DaTerpsDaTerpsDaTerpsDaTerps's Avatar
    I've also posted this on the Google support forum:
    Changing default map setting to Google Maps / default maps service - Google Mobile Help
    3ws dot google dot com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=3326a1c785f4485e&hl=en
    [I had to put a break in the URL because I haven't posted 10 times yet - they forum's rules wouldn't allow a URL post]

Phone: BlackBerry Storm 9530 from Verizon
    OS version: 4.7.0.75

How do I change the default service option for maps to Google Maps?

This is where I'm looking:
    Options / Advanced Options / Maps / Default Service

The only option listed is BlackBerry Maps - NA

One of the great things about the BlackBerry is the linking between contacts and apps and all other functions.

The use case here is: When I travel for business I am driving a lot visiting customers and I often have to get from one place to another up to 10 or more times a day. I would like to be able to standarize on using Google Maps so that I don't have to learn multiple interfaces and also because Google Maps simply kicks ***. It would be easy for me to simply pull up a person's contact info, click Map Business in the menu and bring up Google Maps to get directions. Currently, it only pulls up BlackBerry Maps. Plus, when Google fixes Maps to incorporate the Storm's GPS, then I won't have to enter my current address or use the Cell Tower location feature.

It would also be nice if Google were to add a menu item into the Mennu for Calendar items, too. Currently, the only option for mapping a location listed in a Calender item is with VZ Navigator, which I will definitely not be paying for - I already pay Verizon for enough crap (Visual Voicemail - this should be free!).

I just installed Google Maps 3 and I'm still not able to make it the default map program as described above.

Has anyone else been successful in getting this work?
    02-06-09 05:05 PM
    I dont have a maps option under advanced settings?

I have Googlemaps 3.0 installed though...

sidenote: I do not have Blackberry maps installed, could this be why I dont show a Maps option?
    02-06-09 05:35 PM
    I think the OP was a question, not instructions.
    02-06-09 05:37 PM
    I posted in the Google support thread adding my voice. It'd be great to get GMM integrated like BB Maps is.

Maybe a 3rd party app could do the job, either through registering GMM directly or registering itself(if any 3rd party app can be registered as the default for mapping) and then handing off to GMM a la Poynt?

Are any app devs willing to explore this? I would be happy to check it out myself but someone familiar with developing for the BB OS would probably work faster than me.
    02-25-09 10:10 PM
    I already pay Verizon for enough crap (Visual Voicemail - this should be free!).
    I know this reply is not for changing default map setting (I also would love to change the map setting to Google maps), but I can help with the Visual Voicemail...

There are apps does the same...for FREE!

Fusion Voicemail: fusionvoicemailplus.com
    YouMail: m.youmail.com

I've tried both and I like Fusion Voicemail better...but try both, it's a personal preference. Also, if you search there thread for comparing these two apps.

Sorry but I couldn't put the links because I'm a newb and I don't have 10 posts yet...almost there tho. =]
    03-06-09 08:19 AM
    My google maps only half size with keyboard showing in my BB storm 9530. I can't hide the keyboard....can you tell me how to fix it? thank you
    05-25-09 01:27 PM
    My google maps only half size with keyboard showing in my BB storm 9530. I can't hide the keyboard....can you tell me how to fix it? thank you
    In your phone apps menu Options > Advanced Options > Applications. Select but don't click on Google Maps. Select the BB menu > Disable Compatibility Mode.
    05-25-09 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD