I wanted to know if anyone else has to type information with numbers and multiple "periods" ( . ) in it..

for example IP addresses.. the storm really makes it *stupid* difficult to do this.

Try sending someone a link to an internal private IP with no DNS.. see how long it takes you

uri://192.168.32.12/something

In landscape mode, there is a period on the basic qwerty screen, but if you go to the !?123 (number pad) the have removed the period :/

yes, you can hit the spacebar to get a ". " but then the address would look like:
    1. 2. 3. 4 (or take your pick of 192. 168. 1. 1 or 172. 16. 1. 1 or even 10. 1 1. 1 for those rfc1918 folks.. )

Yes I can go from landscape, to portrait (make sure you are in suretype.. ) and then go to !?123 and there will be numbers AND a period; when done go back to landscape and continue to type.

Again the same thing goes for the "tilde" ( ~ ) character.. See how painful it is to get that to print a URL.

uri://users.domain.com/~username/

*try that*

maybe I am the only one in the world with these issues.. but I am assuming the people at rim truly did not think of this.

I will probably make auto text with $_ for periods and $- for tilde.. dunno yet..

opinions? or am I just being difficult?
    05-23-09 06:48 AM
    I think you are being a little difficult. I am not saying that this isn't cumbersome but this is something that you could have played with before you bought the phone. Complaining about this after buying the phone is a lot like complaining about Sprint service in a rural area after you signed the contract. Sorry that was below the belt.
    05-23-09 06:53 AM
    The phone was a gift :/

I was truly holding out for a newer curve or bold; but I am on vzw.

I was trying to show it was a legit complaint for 'day to day' usage for a network 'person' dealing with normal ip lingo.

So in answer to the original question, probably no way to edit or change the keyboard layout?
    05-23-09 07:03 AM
    Sorry man but if your looking to show legitimate complaints to the people on this forum about the Storm you are a little on the late side. Iam assuming that you know that if you press and hold the 123 key in landscape that it locks it???? Also I am sire that you will get this from someone trying their hardest to be a supernerd so I will save you the trouble, this should have gone in the Rants and Raves forum.
    Last edited by Seraph08; 05-23-09 at 07:19 AM.
    05-23-09 07:10 AM
    I think you are being a little difficult. I am not saying that this isn't cumbersome but this is something that you could have played with before you bought the phone. Complaining about this after buying the phone is a lot like complaining about Sprint service in a rural area after you signed the contract. Sorry that was below the belt.
    Here at crackberry we storm owners are used to hearing from people about issues that make them absolutely hate the phone, and often some of those issues seem minor to others. That's not the case here. It is possible to have an annoyance with one small thing and still find the Storm well worth purchasing and keeping. Some of us get pretty tired of hearing about how the storm is crap when we like it, but it is still fine to seek improvements and tips, not everything is a storm sucks throw it against the wall life crisis disaster.

I too find the lack of a period on the number keyboard a hassle. I gave up using the BB to record gas fill ups in the car. I'll still use it in a pinch, like if the pump won't print a receipt, and use commas instead of periods. I have not invested the time to become expert proficient at storm keyboard input.

It would be nice if there was a way to reassign keys on the keyboards for personal preference, or an app that would offer slightly modified keyboards, but so far I have not found a way to do that. I'd also like a tab key, that would be really useful for web forms. I'm not sure which keys I'd replace for those though.
    05-23-09 07:17 AM
    Here at crackberry we storm owners are used to hearing from people about issues that make them absolutely hate the phone, and often some of those issues seem minor to others. That's not the case here. It is possible to have an annoyance with one small thing and still find the Storm well worth purchasing and keeping. Some of us get pretty tired of hearing about how the storm is crap when we like it, but it is still fine to seek improvements and tips, not everything is a storm sucks throw it against the wall life crisis disaster.

I too find the lack of a period on the number keyboard a hassle. I gave up using the BB to record gas fill ups in the car. I'll still use it in a pinch, like if the pump won't print a receipt, and use commas instead of periods. I have not invested the time to become expert proficient at storm keyboard input.

It would be nice if there was a way to reassign keys on the keyboards for personal preference, or an app that would offer slightly modified keyboards, but so far I have not found a way to do that. I'd also like a tab key, that would be really useful for web forms. I'm not sure which keys I'd replace for those though.
    First of all, if it was a gift he hasn't earned the right to complain he has invested nothing. Secondly, I still think that if you didn't play with the keyboard and type things that you type on a regular basis before you bought it then you shouldn't complain about the keyboard. Demo phones and return policies exist for a reason.
    05-23-09 07:25 AM
    First of all, if it was a gift he hasn't earned the right to complain he has invested nothing. Secondly, I still think that if you didn't play with the keyboard and type things that you type on a regular basis before you bought it then you shouldn't complain about the keyboard. Demo phones and return policies exist for a reason.
    Sir, It is my opinion that your opinion denies reality.

Gift or not, who do you think you are to say whether a person has a right to complain?

Second, A person can find the device a worthy purchase and still seek improvement. Look at all the people who pursue OS upgrades.

Third, a new member comes here, asks a reasonable question, and you respond with elitist attitude, and denigrate the guy for not being worthy to ask a question. Why couldn't you have welcomed him, or tried to help him instead? Why do you feel you need to jump his case like that?

Pisses me off it does.
    05-23-09 07:42 AM
    If you read his initial post he asks for opinions and wants to know if we think he is just being difficult and in my first 2 posts I didn't jump his case I just responded to his posts.

To your point now about complaining. No I do not think you can complain about a gift if you don't like it move on. I have plenty of crap I have gotten from people that I have returned or simply not used but you don't nit pick little things it makes you sound petty.

Every complaint that you can possibly register about the Storm has already been made. It is now time to get over it. So yes when a new person comes here and just starts complaining without reading the previous posts that have already gone over the subject I think they need to realize that they were mistaken.
    05-23-09 08:03 AM
    Didn't sound as much like a complaint, rather "can you help me post"?

Anyways on topic....
    You can't change the layout but you could numlock on landscape and use space for periods but use backspace to get rid of the extra spaces.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 08:27 AM
    The phone was a gift :/

I was truly holding out for a newer curve or bold; but I am on vzw.

I was trying to show it was a legit complaint for 'day to day' usage for a network 'person' dealing with normal ip lingo.

So in answer to the original question, probably no way to edit or change the keyboard layout?
    This seems to be a reasonable suggestion for a wishlist item to RIM. I mean... what use is a number pad without an easy decimal point.

Somewhere around there's an email address for wishlist items and bug reports to RIM. Maybe someone will remember it and post here.
    05-23-09 08:50 AM
    I just typed an IP address with no problem.

I am running .148 and locked my portrait qwerty in 123 and hit space twice for the dot and hit backspace to reset my position.

Also in SureType mode, when you lock in 123 mode, you have the dot right there in the upper right of the keyboard.

05-23-09 11:19 AM
    Seraph08, I think you're being annoying.

I agree entirely with the OP. I too spend time in numlock and wish I didn't have to exit to get a period. I mean, come on, it's a bonehead move on RIM's part. They've made other mistakes with the design and it should be our job (the consumer) to tear the product apart and get them to make it better. Email away.... bbsuggestions@rim.com

05-23-09 11:29 AM
    While I do agree with the OP, it is an inconvenience to not have a period nor tilde, I also think he solved his own problem. RIM provided the auto text feature so we can customize our typing experience. Add a period to the num lock, then somebody else who types a lot of math equations is upset because the + sign is gone. Can't please everybody with a limited number of buttons.
    05-23-09 02:09 PM
    Seraph08, I think you're being annoying.

I agree entirely with the OP. I too spend time in numlock and wish I didn't have to exit to get a period. I mean, come on, it's a bonehead move on RIM's part. They've made other mistakes with the design and it should be our job (the consumer) to tear the product apart and get them to make it better. Email away.... bbsuggestions@rim.com

Thank you. I keep a checking register in a spreadsheet and the lack of a decimal point in the num-lock keyboard makes it outright annoying for monetary inputs, dates, obvious decimal inputs, etc.

Also, thank you for bring to the point of answering the question. I was about to post this very same complaint.

05-23-09 03:16 PM
    Class A ip addresses ftw lol. I feel your pain. I'm a student but I also own a web development company that I started a few years back. People are constantly emailing me asking for information on how to do one thing or another. Whenever I have to send an ip address it is a pain in the ****. I don't however think it is a reason to get rid of the phone or anything remotely like that. This phone has made my life much simpler. It was a good change coming from a Palm Centro to this (other then losing Exchange support from a hosted company but that has been solved by me hosting my own exchange account on one of the companies server's)
    05-23-09 03:32 PM
    Thanks engsoccerfan and adidas1124, I forgot about the double space backspace, that's a realistic workaround.
    05-23-09 03:38 PM
    It could be a simple language modification. In much of Europe a comma is the decimal point and a period is the thousand separator. If the language for the device is set to English (US) then the decimal should default to a period.

To get this to work for URL's in any language there needs to be a preference setting - "Decimal Point" with choices of: comma, period, or space.
    06-01-09 02:20 PM
    I would like to earn the right to complain. What task must I complete to earn such a right?

My sun visor in my car hits the rear view mirror when I open it. I don't like this. Should I return the car? Or should I have earned the right to complain before mentioning this?
    Last edited by jakeh0; 06-01-09 at 02:51 PM.
    06-01-09 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD