So I've been tracking the Storm like all of you forever. I got pretty anxious though and went out and bought the Bold (solid device btw) and figured screw it, I'll get the Storm when it comes out for Rogers as well then I'll have both to switch back and forth as I please. How could it get better? But the anxiety is kicking in again and I want the Storm. So I'm a bit unclear on all the HSDPA, GSM,and CDMA compatibility factors and I'm hoping someone can clear it up for me. Being that the Storm is a hybrid device am I able to purchase a Bell version of the Storm and just throw my SIM card into it? Or am I out to lunch. Just looking for some clarification please. Thanks.
    11-15-08 12:08 PM
    So I've been tracking the Storm like all of you forever. I got pretty anxious though and went out and bought the Bold (solid device btw) and figured screw it, I'll get the Storm when it comes out for Rogers as well then I'll have both to switch back and forth as I please. How could it get better? But the anxiety is kicking in again and I want the Storm. So I'm a bit unclear on all the HSDPA, GSM,and CDMA compatibility factors and I'm hoping someone can clear it up for me. Being that the Storm is a hybrid device am I able to purchase a Bell version of the Storm and just throw my SIM card into it? Or am I out to lunch. Just looking for some clarification please. Thanks.
    You would have to unlock the phone to put a 3rd party SIM card in it. If you purchase on a CDMA network (Verizon, Bell, Telus (pretty sure Bell and telus are CDMA, I am in teh US...)) then you will be using CDMA in the US and Canada. If you travel you will roam on the SIM that they give you with their global roaming charges. If you unlockthe phone you can throw in a SIM of your choice. Voice will work. No one has confirmed to me what happens with data. If you search and are willing to jump through hoops i am sure that data can be made to work as well.
    11-15-08 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD