not sure if this is in the rite forum, but im trying to figure out the diffrence of the too?

my boss just bought a pearl 9100 3g and im useing the s2
    is there much of a diffrence between the to phones

thanks
    07-13-10 05:29 PM
    Yes there is. His Pearl 9100 is connecting to the 3G network (based on your info, I'm guessing Bell's HSPA network), but you're connecting your Storm 2 to Bell's CDMA network.

In some regards, your phone is better because it is a world phone and can be used in countries with either CDMA or GSM. His phone is a GSM phone meaning it connects to the network via a SIM card which gives more flexibility over phones (e.g. he can stick his SIM card into any Bell or unlocked HSPA capable phone and it will work), but it won't work in areas with CDMA reception only.

Now then, that said, you should know that your phone will only work on the CDMA network on Bell. This is because the phone can only handle 2G GSM (EDGE) connections in North America, and Telus and Bell's HSPA networks are not backwards compatible with EDGE.

Anyhow, there's a brief summary of the differences between your phones in terms of the networks. Let me know if you want a more directed response.
    07-13-10 05:36 PM
    Very good explaination!

An unlocked storm2 is the best!
    07-14-10 04:07 AM
    GSM is the world standard. CDMA is a older dated service. about 85 - 90% of the world uses GSM. comparing the 2 would be like comparing AM to FM. consumer reports has proven GSM is superior (main benifit longer battery life with identical phones) CDMA takes more power to run. Most CDMA phone services are adding GSM to there phones calling it a world phone (GSM is the world standard) not one phones want get OS 6 til next year so RIM can focus on GSM phones. why? only 10 - 15% of blackberry's are CDMA. why? GSM is superior.
    07-16-10 05:18 PM
    GSM is not superior. That's malarky. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. By the way, there are only 10-15% CDMA BlackBerry devices because there are only a few carriers that use CDMA technology, so of course there are fewer CDMA BBs (considering how few CDMA carriers there are, 10-15% is actually huge). And RIM is developing CDMA devices. They just released the 9650 and there is talk that Sprint might get a CDMA version of the slider 9830. RIM has also been working on a Storm3 which may be either CDMA or LTE (or both).

You clearly don't know what you're talking about and silly comments like yours just go to show how little some people know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Krypto; 07-16-10 at 08:44 PM.
    07-16-10 08:41 PM
    Had to read this myself for those who want to know What is the Difference Between GSM and CDMA?
    07-16-10 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD