Hey Folks,

I've got a question about contact categories. I've found out the add a contact to a category as well as filter the contact list by a category. However what I'd like to do is have contacts in a category for ease of finding the names but I'd like to be able to choose individual contacts from a category to send SMS or emails to. Is that a possibility?

For example, I am on multiple softball teams and would like to send out game information via text or email to individuals on a team, but not all category members need to receive the message.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    06-11-10 03:19 PM
    You can create groups too within your contacts. Just create a group for each team your on. That way you can just type the name of the group in when you want to send them a message. If that doesn't work for you then I suggest you refine your categories to better suit your needs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-10 03:31 PM
    What you would like to do is select the Group Name as the To: Address, then expand the Group Name into its constituent contacts and delete some of those. That's very handy, and I know how to do it with email in Outlook on my PC, but I can't find a way to do it with SMS or email on my Tour. The email app doesn't appear to be able to expand the Group list into individual To: lines.
    06-11-10 03:37 PM
    Thanks to each of you for the responses. I had considered making a group for each of the teams, but I'd need two groups. One for email, one for SMS as not all are texters. And even at that I would still have select folks I don't need to contact for each instance. Worst case is that some people would have to receive messages that they already know is coming, only because I can't remove them from the selection.

JeffH, I would have loved to use your option, however I tried that also to no avail.

On my previous phones I could easily select a category and simply select the individual name(s) I wanted to include. I was hoping to duplicate that. I guess I'll have to stick with the old fashion way and just scroll through my contact list and choose individually who I want to message. It would be quicker to only have a handful of selections available though.

I know I couldn't find a way, I was hoping it was because the BB was just overly difficult to do and I hadn't found the hidden feature.
    06-11-10 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD