I've tried pretty much all versions of OS from 65 to 86. None of them is reliable enough to my confidence level. Once in a while I had to do a battery pull. This is such a fundamental and crucial issue that should have been fixed long time ago but it has not. So, I am carrying two phones everyday - Storm and the BB 8750. I am so concerned about not being able to make basic phone calls in case of emergency (while doing battery pull ). I got backup! What do you say?
    01-15-09 03:45 PM
    I ffel your pain I'm actually on the phone now ordering a curve to add to my other line because I love the storm but not dependable because of battery pulls. but I don't want to give it up. so I'll be carrying 2 as well
    01-15-09 03:51 PM
    I guess this is one of the risks you take when using a leaked beta OS?

I am running .75 and it has been a very reliable phone for me. I do a battery pull every 2-3 days...even though I have not had any problems to require it.
    01-15-09 03:52 PM
    I say on both .75 and .85 my phone has worked like a champ and the only reason I pull batt is to see the memory difference. As far as being a reliable phone that has not even occured to me it is no different than my curve.

3G gives me the ability to get calls while on the net so if you look at that way it is more reliable than my Curve .

Sorry you are so frustrated with it - I'm having a blast with mine and I am in sales so I use and abuse it all day and night on emails/phone plus I read books on it so I am not a casual user either (also watched Snatch last light again - if you have not seen it do so it is FUNNY).
    01-15-09 03:53 PM
    I say on both .75 and .85 my phone has worked like a champ and the only reason I pull batt is to see the memory difference. As far as being a reliable phone that has not even occured to me it is no different than my curve.
    I thought about going back to official or .85 but people complained not being able to hear me clearly when I was on 75 and 85. The voice quality seems improved a lot after upgrading to .86. That's the only reason I am still on 86. Did you have the similar issue?
    01-15-09 03:57 PM
    I've got a few glitches running .86 now, but for the most part, it's stable. For me, going without a phone long enough to do a battery pull or soft reset, isn't a big deal. My job's never been that critical except in EMS and that's what radios were for.

Having said that though, I can't remember pulling my battery on my Curve. I had it for 4 months and before that, the 8830 WE. I never pulled it on that one either that I can remember. My son has my Curve now and he's never pulled the battery either. It's a very stable phone.

I know that the Storm is a different breed so-to-speak, but it does seem to be far less stable and more "picky" about what's it's willing to deal with at any given time. Hopefully the OS updates will continue to make it more stable and something we can rely on without regard to how critical the ability to make/receive calls may be for anyone.

I know I'm not ready to give up on it. I love the touch screen (I didn't think I would at all) and the fact that I can have my music and movies stored and accessible in a quality format.
    01-15-09 04:05 PM
    I had a few problems with the unofficial .85 release so I downgraded back to the .75 OS and all seems to be well. If it keeps continuing I suggest you get a replacement storm as something may be wrong with the hardware itself...
    01-15-09 04:59 PM
    yeah, this phone is cool, but once the " wow this is cool" wears off, just answering the phone is a pain in the a$$. We are on the bleeding edge though. I am 100% confident the phone will get much better.
    01-15-09 06:45 PM
    this phone is already amazing
    01-15-09 06:56 PM
    I remember my futures' trading days. You want multiple ways to get out of positions in case you loose your PC or its data stream. Land phones can be your friend. Same with cell phones. Makes you more relaxed, able to work. Good luck !
    01-15-09 08:50 PM
    I upgraded 1x to .75, have maybe only required 1 battery. I do have poor sound quality with my blue ant ear piece. If one more person tells me I sound muffled I'm going to scream. I so want to upgrade, but there seems to be numerous issues with the other upgrades.
    01-16-09 02:06 PM
    I hate to say it but my Storm has quite the astounding failure rate. I find more and more the backlight won't turn off unless I put it in my holster and i'm having to do 2 battery pulls a day to resolve a variety of issues such as voice dialing throwing an "unknown error" after about 6 or 7 times.

Hence, I love my 8830 cause it just goes.
    01-16-09 07:14 PM
    I carry two devices just because I choose to, not because of anything to do with the OS on the Storm.
    01-17-09 03:42 AM
    I have been using .86 and I've been happy with it. In fact I used my phone just yesterday during an emergency (brakes went out on my car) and my Storm came through just fine! lol
    01-17-09 12:08 PM
    I hate to say it but my Storm has quite the astounding failure rate. I find more and more the backlight won't turn off unless I put it in my holster and i'm having to do 2 battery pulls a day to resolve a variety of issues such as voice dialing throwing an "unknown error" after about 6 or 7 times.

Hence, I love my 8830 cause it just goes.
    I would argue your Storm does not have "quite the astounding failure rate", but instead that .86 is causing your failures. I don't believe you would experience these problems running the official .75 release.
    01-17-09 12:43 PM
    I haven't had an issue with .86 whatsoever - I have had it since it's leaked release and only pulled the battery once after I uninstalled proggies that I didn't need.
    01-17-09 12:56 PM
    Look, if you're going to take the risk of using a beta, i.e. unapproved, OS, you ought to be willing to accept that there will most likely be glitches. That said, I ran .85 for awhile and had nothing but problems doing the simplest of tasks. Went back to official .75 and I now only do a battery pull about once a week. In my experience .75 is about 99% stable and it's been there every time I've needed it. But then I guess I don't worry about having to be reachable 24X7X365. I'm not one of you big shot VIP's, so I can live without a phone for 5 minutes a week while I do a battery pull.
    01-17-09 02:14 PM
    I carry my Storm and my iphone 3g, just because! (Also, I figure if AT&T is having a problem, which is quite frequently, I'm covered!) And, so far, both are perfect...
    01-17-09 03:21 PM
    I would argue your Storm does not have "quite the astounding failure rate", but instead that .86 is causing your failures. I don't believe you would experience these problems running the official .75 release.
    Hm, fair enough. I'm just saying i'm having to do a battery pull every few hours because the backlight won't turn off (unless I put it into the holster), my calls don't show up in the logs, the voice dial stops working. I've seen this to be an issue as early as .85. However, I shouldn't have made that sound whiny (which it did and I apologize for that), i'm just saying i'm happy with the improvements of the leaked OS's, just anxiously waiting for a stable build.....
    01-18-09 07:59 AM
    Hmmm. Its amazing. My Storm came with .65. It was horrible. Reboots, lockups. Just awful. I upgraded to leaked .75 after 2 days, and it was better, but many functions still were unusable. Then, official .75. It was just the same as leaked .75. Not good. Soon as it was available upgraded to .85, and have had reasonable stability. No battery pulls at all, camera can be used, though its still horrible. The media player sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Making phone calls and sms/email all stable enough to use. There are random glitches here and there, but nothing serious.
    This .85 is typical of what I'd call a "beta" OS. .65, and .75 are "Alpha" level, not near beta level. This from someone who spent 20 years designing, writing, and testing embedded OS.
    Some say your problems are due to "leaked" versions. Heck, if it weren't for leaked versions we would not be able to use the phone at all! This is shameful, RIM and Verizon both!
    Last edited by norain; 01-18-09 at 06:20 PM.
    01-18-09 06:14 PM
    Today I started to regret having ported my number to Verizon and not having an option of another phone anymore. My Storm was doing OK (not great, never has been great) with 86, which made me take the decision to keep it. But now it's showing instability, locking up with the screen on, and therefore draining battery fast, giving me the error 523 when I was writing an email. Very unreliable. I wish this had happened before.
    01-18-09 06:26 PM
    I agreed that many people upgraded to leaked OS just because of curiosity and wanted to explore new features. For me, the phone was not usable before upgrading to 85 even with official 75. Calls got disconnected unexpectedly, having to pull batteries all day long. Come on, I am not asking for something unreasonable. I need a phone I know she is there whenever I needed instead of taking a break doing reboot/battery pulls.
    01-18-09 08:56 PM
    I carry two phones by choice. It's nice to have a back up phone on a different carrier just in case. And thanks to the Storm, I have three NAMs!
    01-18-09 09:11 PM
    I've gotten so frustrated with the Storm for keeping any notes, reminders, etc. that I pulled my retired Palm Tungsten E2 out of retirement. It is so much easier to use for day to day work, and never crashes or hangs up.
    I've had my Storm since it was released (or dumped?) back in November.
    After using cell phones since the brick analog phones, I expected way more than what BB & RIM have foisted on us.
    01-18-09 09:20 PM
    Sucks that ur havin issues.....eventually they will be worked out and the storm will be a great phone.
    I personally haven't had many issues myself but I am running .85, had to many issues with .86

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 01:02 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD