Not to be a skeptic but I do find it hard to believe that RIM sends the Carriers software and they decide if the software is good for release.

RIM puts these software upgrades on their site when ready for their own product and anyone with a STORM or CURVE or whatever can upgrade the software. Same for other phones.

Anyway i know people will flame but I really find it ahrd to believe that Verizon or Vodafone will test RIM Software Updates and issue them when they want.

Anyone else feel the same???
    03-31-09 07:38 PM
    Not to be a skeptic but I do find it hard to believe that RIM sends the Carriers software and they decide if the software is good for release.

RIM puts these software upgrades on their site when ready for their own product and anyone with a STORM or CURVE or whatever can upgrade the software. Same for other phones.

Anyway i know people will flame but I really find it ahrd to believe that Verizon or Vodafone will test RIM Software Updates and issue them when they want.

Anyone else feel the same???

Well I surely hope you don't get flamed, but you are wrong. RIM writes the code, tests internally, and also puts the builds up on a site for download as well as submits these builds to carriers for testing.
    I'm not quite sure why you believe RIM can tell a carrier what OS to Officially release or not release. The fact that different carriers have different official verisons is evidence of just that. Verizon released the Storm with .75, while Telus and Bell released it with .76.
    Each carrier has it's own TA(Technical Acceptance) in which it tests the software and either certifies it or doesn't. RIM builds each revision of the code for all carriers. Different network conditions require testing of these builds to see how each work within it's own network. What may work well for Verizon, may not work well with Telus, or vice versa.
    Hope this may clear up any confusion you may have and I will watch the thread so that you do not get flamed. Thanks.
    03-31-09 07:48 PM
    if that was the case... then why doesnt RIM just sell blackberries on their own?
    Verizon is the service provider.. and Verizon is very strict about their quality.. so they need to test everything they sell multiple times... (i dont know wth happened to the storm)
    03-31-09 07:52 PM
    Well I surely hope you don't get flamed, but you are wrong. RIM writes the code, tests internally, and also puts the builds up on a site for download as well as submits these builds to carriers for testing.
    I'm not quite sure why you believe RIM can tell a carrier what OS to Officially release or not release. The fact that different carriers have different official verisons is evidence of just that. Verizon released the Storm with .75, while Telus and Bell released it with .76.
    Each carrier has it's own TA(Technical Acceptance) in which it tests the software and either certifies it or doesn't. RIM builds each revision of the code for all carriers. Different network conditions require testing of these builds to see how each work within it's own network. What may work well for Verizon, may not work well with Telus, or vice versa.
    Hope this may clear up any confusion you may have and I will watch the thread so that you do not get flamed. Thanks.
    what he said... he explained it very well
    03-31-09 07:54 PM

Thanks for the clarification, it just confused me why RIM puts these software updates on their own site as well for just the device.
    03-31-09 07:54 PM
    Thanks for the clarification, it just confused me why RIM puts these software updates on their own site as well for just the device.
    No problem, I'm here to help any way I can. But I'm a little stumped as to what exactly you're talking about in regards to saying RIM puts these updates up on the site as well as for just the device. Could you explain what you mean and maybe I can provide further clairification.
    03-31-09 07:56 PM
    No problem, I'm here to help any way I can. But I'm a little stumped as to what exactly you're talking about in regards to saying RIM puts these updates up on the site as well as for just the device. Could you explain what you mean and maybe I can provide further clairification.

Just confused me when they put software upgrades on the site for say a CURVE. I just assumed it was for every curve made and not specified for any specific carrier.

Side Question - I'm running the .113 leaked software and and coming from .114 and .109 and for some reason when I tap the corner of the screen in these last 3 upgrades 3 times out of five the screen freazes and it is always the same corner (bottom left in portrait and bottom right in landscape. THen it will unfreaze after a while when i keep tapping the screen. Is this hardware or software...? Only did it for the last 3 leaked updates....?
    03-31-09 08:08 PM
    Just confused me when they put software upgrades on the site for say a CURVE. I just assumed it was for every curve made and not specified for any specific carrier.

Side Question - I'm running the .113 leaked software and and coming from .114 and .109 and for some reason when I tap the corner of the screen in these last 3 upgrades 3 times out of five the screen freazes and it is always the same corner (bottom left in portrait and bottom right in landscape. THen it will unfreaze after a while when i keep tapping the screen. Is this hardware or software...? Only did it for the last 3 leaked updates....?
    No each carrier has different OS versions for their devices. AT&T has 4.5.0.110 while another carrier uses 4.5.0.124. Not all carriers use the same OS version.

Sounds like it's more of a HW issue than SW. I'm not saying it couldn't be software, but it sounds like the screen isn't functioning properly.
    03-31-09 08:13 PM
    I'm glad i read this, i learned something right here...
    03-31-09 08:15 PM
    Just a bit more. I don't know about other devices but attempting to download the latest OS for the 9530 for Verizon from RIM's site actually forwards you to Verizon.
    03-31-09 08:23 PM
    Just a bit more. I don't know about other devices but attempting to download the latest OS for the 9530 for Verizon from RIM's site actually forwards you to Verizon.
    They are about the only one that does that though and even then that site is just a frontier for a RIM's download.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Take a look almost all of the other carriers just download it from blackberry.com

Also, CX, VZW released the Storm on .65 and then released .75 (what they call SR1) on Dec 5
    03-31-09 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD