Well the trick that worked for me was turning the brightness setting down. The idea came to me when I recalled all the bragging the storm gets on its brightness. I had mine at 100% and couldn't get it to work. Dropped it down and it started working.

So I will save some battery life. Whatever works. Been wanting this for a while.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-10 07:13 PM
    I only have 7 cards, 5 of which I never use lol. I entered them into cardstar but I'm not sure that this app will be worth having on my phone. I wish there was a way to delete all the vendors you don't use. That would save a ton of memory.
    05-10-10 09:51 PM
    I do not see any options to upgrade the s/w. So if and when they come up with a later version, does this mean we will have to manually re-enter all the card numbers?
    05-12-10 07:27 AM
    updated version 1.0.6 - supposedly has "some" fixes

cardstar Mobile Download
    05-12-10 09:31 AM
    updated version 1.0.6 - supposedly has "some" fixes

cardstar Mobile Download
    The Cardstar website does a poor job of displaying the change log (doesn't exist), no help/ support function, etc

these are pretty basic functions that are missing
    05-12-10 01:56 PM
    This was posted on Twitter 6 hours ago:

Next BB update coming next week will fix issue with size of app. Should then eliminate ur memory issue.

And

update 4 #CardStar coming next wk. Will include MUCH smaller size, Backup 2 SD & Bug Fixes
    05-12-10 03:40 PM
    Tried mine at BJ's self check out.. Line grew, people were staring and wife was giving me the look.. Didn't work..
    05-12-10 04:17 PM
    This was posted on Twitter 6 hours ago:

Next BB update coming next week will fix issue with size of app. Should then eliminate ur memory issue.

And

update 4 #CardStar coming next wk. Will include MUCH smaller size, Backup 2 SD & Bug Fixes

how do you upgrade? nothing on the app itself or their website..
    05-12-10 04:24 PM
    Tried mine at BJ's self check out.. Line grew, people were staring and wife was giving me the look.. Didn't work..
    Oh no, not "the look!". LOL!

05-12-10 05:34 PM
    Worked today at CVS
    05-15-10 04:39 PM
    I had a clerk at Petsmart say that very few of the smatphone-barcode she tries to read that customers use actually work.

My fianc� is lucky, her iphone cardstar app works fine everywhere.

05-16-10 06:35 AM
    Yup, really wanted to like this app ... and DO, when it works. Oddly, for me anyway, it seems to work fine if the clerk uses a hand scanner (so far PetSmart, CVS, BestBuy), but not if I try to scan it myself, for instance, at a self-checkout line -- which I use a lot.

Oh, and I have my brightness at 10% and a Bodyguardz screen protector. Will probably fiddle with it a little more, but it's heading for the delete list.
    05-16-10 07:33 AM
    Does it seem to work better for those without screen protectors?

05-16-10 09:12 AM
    Yea it seems flat board scanners dont work
    05-16-10 10:36 PM
    I couldn't get it to work correctly so I just erased it, wasn't worth the headaches it was causing.

BKVic
    05-20-10 03:00 PM
    New version is out and MUCH smaller.

05-22-10 08:06 AM
    It also backs up cards to SD card and has option to restore. Don't know if it works but these two changes make it worth me trying it again.
    05-22-10 11:36 AM
    What Am I doing wrong? I select "add card"; select the merchant. Add the numbers. Hit save. And it locks up. The save button turns red but it does absolutely nothing. I exit and come back in and nothing. I just downloaded the latest version and have 9550 with the latest official release. I did a soft reset and also exited out of the program thru the menu. I looked all over the website and didn't see any instructions for the BB. Also read thru the internal help file... I set all permissions to allow. No card files show up.
    Last edited by JimA; 05-23-10 at 10:05 AM.
    05-23-10 09:36 AM
    Tips for a successful scan..

1. Use the hand held scanner gun attachment at the register if possible. NOTE: some users have reported successful scanning off of flatbed scanner, but only under very specific circumstances so it is easiest to stick to handhelds.

2. Make sure the screen is free of dust and fingerprints. The screen MUST be clean in order to scan properly.

3. Keep the screen just shy of perpendicular to the scanner and hold the barcode image steady (don’t wave around).

4. Hold the device screen approximately 2-4 inches from the hand held scanner and pull back slowly while scanning. If you don’t get a scan after several tries, just have the clerk type in your number from your digital card. Please also contact us at [email protected] and let us know if the scan does not work and what scanner is being used.

5. Make sure the visible red laser beam line crosses the device screen in about the middle of the barcode.

6. Keep the screen in a vertical (portrait) orientation is possible. Some scanners have trouble reading barcodes when the device is in a horizontal (landscape) orientation.

7. In general, avoid using screen protectors — many models interfere with the laser as tries to read the barcode off the screen. If you are looking for an alternative screen protector that is known to work with CardStar please email [email protected] for suggestions.
    05-23-10 01:56 PM
    Worked fine at CVS today on the hand scanner. It scanned as soon as the girl raised the scanner to it. She wasn't even close to the phone.
    05-23-10 05:51 PM
    OK! Like lots of people, love the idea. S2, No screen protector, brightness at 10, hand scanner. Laser positione correctly. Would not work. Had to type the number

Has anyone at CardStar looked at the way RIM designs their screen vs Apple. I dunno, LED types, refresh rates?, Bar code bar widths? White space?, Something is different. Fix it and I will buy this product.
    05-23-10 08:27 PM
    I had a clerk at Petsmart say that very few of the smatphone-barcode she tries to read that customers use actually work.

My fianc� is lucky, her iphone cardstar app works fine everywhere.

Had the same thing happen at PetCo yesterday. The clerk said it never works and, sure enough, despite all kinds of gyrations, we couldn't get it to work. I think it's time to delete this one until it's fixed. Back to the keychain full of little plastic tags, I guess.
    05-25-10 10:44 AM
    i have a storm 2.

i have not had a successful scan at any merchant:

CVS
    Staples
    NY Sports Club
    Costco
    Bottle King
    Barnes & Noble

etc
    06-10-10 06:54 PM
    This could have saved me a lot of time at bj's since I forgot my card the last two times I went. Had to wait forever for them to look up my membership number. Tried to scan barcode next time I went and it didn't work.

06-10-10 07:40 PM
    Did you guys also read that certain types of scanners are unable to read the screen. some of it has to do with what type of scanners the merchant uses.
    06-10-10 08:21 PM
104 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD