something i've been working on, Carbon Fiber vinyl overlays for the battery door! Looks pretty sick if you ask me, plus it will protect your door from getting scratched!

I have black carbon as well as silver carbon colors, and have every normal glossy color you could want!

i hope to put these up for sale soon...
    01-07-09 03:55 PM
    nice work!
    01-07-09 03:57 PM
    That look's sick. I would definately look into getting one for my phone.
    01-07-09 03:58 PM
    is there any way you could design a skin like that for the whole phone that looks freaking sick man
    01-07-09 04:03 PM
    Please do not read below if you don't like negative criticism:

REAL Carbon Fiber is exactly that.....FIBERS. they stitch over each other in a uniform pattern... over/under/over/under etc. i've seen many different carbon fiber "look" products for a variety of different things. if you want it to look as realistic as possible, it should have a vertical/horizontal lined shape. if you look at yours, its more diagonal and you couldnt emulate that if you were actually stitching something.
    01-07-09 04:08 PM
    looks sweet, but valman is right....
    01-07-09 04:10 PM
    is there any way you could design a skin like that for the whole phone that looks freaking sick man
    I agree. Skin for the entire phone FTW!
    01-07-09 04:10 PM
    Count me in. I want one as soon as you put them up for sale.
    01-07-09 04:15 PM
    Yeah, that's not real carbon fiber for sure, but it does look nice. My question is how does it attach? If the idea is to protect the door finish, but then it has to be glued on (resulting in the door being destroyed if you try to remove it), then it doesnt' make much sense as a door protector. Not saying it's not nice or anything, just that maybe it should be advertised differently.
    01-07-09 04:16 PM
    Aw man and I just bought one of these from decalgirls.com they have the carbon fiber vinyl skin that covers the whole phone but I like your pattern as well. If you make a full skin I would buy another from you. I have the curve now but I bought it for my storm that's on its way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 04:19 PM
    Yeah, that's not real carbon fiber for sure, but it does look nice. My question is how does it attach? If the idea is to protect the door finish, but then it has to be glued on (resulting in the door being destroyed if you try to remove it), then it doesnt' make much sense as a door protector. Not saying it's not nice or anything, just that maybe it should be advertised differently.
    it's just adhesive backed vinyl... clean the battery door with rubbing alcohol, let it dry completely (i usually warm it up with a hairdryer) then slap it on. If you want to remove it... i would warm it up a bit with a hairdryer and slowly peel it off.

obviously this isnt REAL carbon fiber, but in my opinion, it is about as close as you are going to get... and much less expensive!

here'a another shot of my CF vinyl installed on the B pillars of an 07 civic:

01-07-09 04:21 PM
    OK, that's cool. I thought it was a hard plastic in which case it would probably need a pretty strong adhesive. Thanks for clearing that up and my apologies for misunderstanding (and apparently not reading very well.).
    01-07-09 04:24 PM

obviously this isnt REAL carbon fiber, but in my opinion, it is about as close as you are going to get... and much less expensive!
    I think most of us understand that this isn't REAL carbon fiber. What I'm trying to say is that even fake ones can be made to look real. The stitching should look like its strictly vertical/horizontal ONLY. yours makes it look diagonal and SCREAMS fake.
    01-07-09 04:27 PM
    Can't use real CF.
    You wouldn't get cell coverage...
    And the door wouldn't be grounded either... but that's a whole other can of worms...
    01-07-09 04:29 PM
    Gotta agree with Valmanway .... but I appreciate your efforts just the same.
    01-07-09 06:46 PM
    make it look like the following and I want.

01-07-09 06:48 PM
    still looks good....would buy a set if the price is right!
    01-07-09 07:21 PM
    looks good...nice job!
    01-07-09 07:37 PM
    I never understood the fascination with CF wrapped panels. I like the stock look better.
    01-07-09 08:37 PM
    it's just adhesive backed vinyl... clean the battery door with rubbing alcohol, let it dry completely (i usually warm it up with a hairdryer) then slap it on. If you want to remove it... i would warm it up a bit with a hairdryer and slowly peel it off.

here'a another shot of my CF vinyl installed on the B pillars of an 07 civic:

i was just thinking to myself that looks the the pillars on my GAGT and then i saw it on your civic only problem...after a year or so it starts to peel, its not very durable. good luck with it hope it works for you!
    01-07-09 08:40 PM
    Can't use real CF.
    And the door wouldn't be grounded either... but that's a whole other can of worms...
    OMFG! Valmanway, is just trying to say that they should change the pattern so it resembles carbon fiber better. He is saying that since the stitch lines being diagonal make the print look more fake. All the OP needs to do to make it more realistic is to just align the stitch pattern so you have the stitches going vertically and horizontally only.

I am in no way hating on the op for his efforts, just trying to make a point that some people on hear arn't reading what others are posting and hence getting the wrong Idea about what is being said.
    01-07-09 09:10 PM
    Carbon Vinyl FTL!

Way to rice out a Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 09:22 PM
    that looks phat!
    01-07-09 09:28 PM
    I was going to ask you this a couple days back. Not specifically carbon fiber, but if you were going to start coming up with some designs for the battery door. def going to purchase something for mine!
    01-07-09 09:55 PM
    Can't use real CF.
    Um, carbon fiber does not block reception that much, it's just a composite plastic. I doubt you'd notice much of a difference.
    I don't have a storm to check, but I've yet to see a cell phone with a grounded door either, they are generally just a plastic cover. Or do you mean since carbon can conduct, it might be an issue if it touches a lead on the battery?

It wouldn't be too hard to make a carbon door cover as the shape is pretty simple and it only has a couple tabs. The whole phone would be incredibly difficult though.
    Last edited by GreenEnvy; 01-09-09 at 03:06 PM.
    01-09-09 03:03 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD