Is there anyway to uncap the SMS texting...this is my first blackberry..i use to have the moto Q...i could text as long as i wanted....is there anyway to uncap the SMS from 160?
    01-16-09 10:51 AM
    Nope - just sent it as an MMS message and you can type as long as you want.
    01-16-09 10:52 AM
    Its a blackberry and cdma thing. Only ways around are mms without the pic, email, and pin messages
    01-16-09 10:53 AM
    Are you serious? Your first post and there's at least one thread JUST LIKE THIS if not many??

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/sms...aracter-37895/
    01-16-09 10:53 AM
    Chill dude, what's the point in flaming a new person for not searching? In your reply (since you took the time to flame), you could have just answered instead of biting his head off with the same effort...
    01-16-09 10:56 AM
    Are you serious? Your first post and there's at least one thread JUST LIKE THIS if not many??

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/sms...aracter-37895/
    coming from someone with less than 50 posts

give the guy a break, searching on this forum can be tedious
    01-16-09 11:02 AM
    I agree marlin. Lay off the newbie. If you're not going to offer help don't bother posting
    01-16-09 11:03 AM
    coming from someone with less than 50 posts

give the guy a break, searching on this forum can be tedious
    It doesn't matter how few posts he has, he recognizes the power of a simple search, unlike most people on here.
    01-16-09 11:05 AM
    Nope - just sent it as an MMS message and you can type as long as you want.
    MMS caps you at 1000
    01-16-09 11:09 AM
    So for all the anti-search people... What exactly is the point of preserving all the old posts on this forum if not to allow people to search through them?

Further, I say you have just volunteered to keep answering the same basic set of questions every time they come up. I'll be taking down your user names and telling people they should PM you for the answer(s). We'll see just how long you last.
    01-16-09 12:05 PM
    I agree that search is what you should do and it will save a lot of time for everyone but I am a member of a helluva lot of message boards for everything under the sun and I yet have ever seen a group that is so harsh on people for not searching. Yes, sorry I don't have a lot of posts so I may not be a viable source to argue or complain but come on people lighten up a little and I agree with whoever said that with the time of bashing the person, you could simply given an answer and say "Try searching for more information" or just telling them that and not run them off by complaining.

ahhhh I feel better now, thanks.
    01-16-09 12:15 PM
    Its a blackberry and cdma thing. Only ways around are mms without the pic, email, and pin messages
    Actually, it was the same way on my Voyager. I don't think it's manufacturer specific, but SMS specific.
    MMS caps you at 1000
    haha, looks like copying and pasting novels won't work
    haha, looks like copying and pasting novels won't work
    wonder if there is a limit on E-mail characters.....think we could get a novel in there?
    01-16-09 12:23 PM
    I agree that search is what you should do and it will save a lot of time for everyone but I am a member of a helluva lot of message boards for everything under the sun and I yet have ever seen a group that is so harsh on people for not searching.

Well, I am a member of a lot of message boards as well, and I've never before seen so many people ask the same basic questions over and over again as I've witnessed here. So peoples' frustrations are wholly reasonable. Honestly I think there should be a rule that new members should have to wait 2 weeks before making a new thread.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-16-09 at 12:29 PM.
    01-16-09 12:27 PM
    Actually, it was the same way on my Voyager. I don't think it's manufacturer specific, but SMS specific.
    Not true I can send up to 6 messages containing 160 characters and att can as well. It doesn't cut off at 160 characters
    01-16-09 12:31 PM
    just to answer the question from one noob to another verizon (cdma) caps the messages at 160 characters, at&t (gsm) allows more. I noticed this after unlocking my storm from verizon and using it on my att account....
    01-16-09 12:32 PM
    wonder if there is a limit on E-mail characters.....think we could get a novel in there?
    Not in the email "standard" but you'll be limited by your email account (some only allow outgoing mail up to a certain size) and the amount of memory available on the device. But, for all intents and purposes, unlimited text. 1 MB = 1,048,576 characters... meaning that on your average storm with 40 MB free, 41,943,040 characters. War and Peace has, according to Wikipedia, appx 3,100,000 characters, for reference.
    01-16-09 12:33 PM
    Why doesn't BlackBerry support EMS (Enhanced Messaging Service)? That is how other phones send messages over 160 characters.
    01-16-09 12:36 PM
    And I agree that people should have to read through a tutorial on here before they post in any forum but until then we have to deal with people posting threads without searching first. So if you want to complain about repetitive threads do everyone a favor and don't read them or don't post a reply with an answer like search first or making fun of the person for asking. Ok rant over
    01-16-09 12:37 PM
    Alright, this has been said before, but I'll say it again...

SMS stands for SHORT Message Service. Pay very close attention to that first word. In fact, I'll repeat it just in case you missed it the first time: SHORT

It's a standard developed back in the days of pagers, and was repurposed for cell phones. If you need more than 160 characters, you wnat MMS, and if you need more than 1000 characters, well guess what, you're using one of THE premier mobile email devices in the world. And if that weren't enough, it also functions as a... Brace yourself for this... PHONE! Imagine that! You can actually use this thing to CALL someone and then TALK to them directly! Will wonders never cease?!

And let me just offer that any time it is not socially acceptable to call a person, it's probably not socially acceptable to be texting or emailing them either. So we'll just head off that whole argument before it even starts. Like I said, this has been brought up before. If, by some fluke of circumstance, you find yourself in a situation where you need to use SMS, and MMS, email, and calling are not an option... Then I guess you'd better start learning how to break up your messages into chunks <= 160 characters. Hopefully your attention span hasn't been so badly damaged by all this mindless texting chatter, that you can maintain your train of thought for a few seconds while you start a new message.
    01-16-09 12:37 PM
    Why doesn't BlackBerry support EMS (Enhanced Messaging Service)? That is how other phones send messages over 160 characters.
    Probably for a number of reasons -

1) EMS is just not that popular
    2) EMS is not crucial for business communications
    3) I think BB Messenger offers some of the same options as EMS
    01-16-09 12:41 PM

And let me just offer that any time it is not socially acceptable to call a person, it's probably not socially acceptable to be texting or emailing them either. So we'll just head off that whole argument before it even starts.
    Wow, good job of heading off the argument -- you actually just started one. There are plenty of times when texting is preferred to calling, such as if you are in a quiet space where calling is not appropriate or may be difficult -- such as on a crowded train, in the waiting room of a doctor's office, in a library, on the golf course, etc etc.
    01-16-09 12:43 PM
    Well, I am a member of a lot of message boards as well, and I've never before seen so many people ask the same basic questions over and over again as I've witnessed here. So peoples' frustrations are wholly reasonable. Honestly I think there should be a rule that new members should have to wait 2 weeks before making a new thread.
    then you would have no new members. waiting 2 weeks would be pointless. if you want people to use the search button make it have a pop up that says have you tried searching before you post. when they click make a new thread.
    01-16-09 01:03 PM
    Why is it that the only subject that people seem to want to discuss over and over is "Why do we have to discuss the same thing over and over?".

For what it's worth...when I get an SMS from my sister on ATT iPhone that is over 160 characters it gets chopped up into multiple messages. So, I don't think that ATT allows SMS over 160 characters, but they have a feature that hacks the message up into multiple 160 messages and sends them individually. I actually find it quite annoying because often it chops words in half.
    01-16-09 01:36 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD