05-21-09 01:14 PM
41 12
tools
    The current quarterly reports of customers retained versus lost by Verizon are positive. The negative reports of customers lost by Verizon point toward service rather than product. Remember that Apple reported a loss during that same quarter, even though both companies quarters end dates are different.
    Personally, I think the competition for customers is between AT&T and Verizon Wireless. Sprint is too busy rebuilding itself to remain competitive. Of course, the biggest thing AT&T has which Verizon Wireless does not is the iPhone.
    True nuff, but I'm positive that out of 40 million iPhones sold, some of them came from VZW. And I'm also sure that the number is larger than VZW likes to see. VZW want's the iPhone BAD, and I can't blame them. If I owned a cell service company it would be the FIRST phone I would try to get.
    05-02-09 08:56 PM
    The current quarterly reports of customers retained versus lost by Verizon are positive. The negative reports of customers lost by Verizon point toward service rather than product. Remember that Apple reported a loss during that same quarter, even though both companies quarters end dates are different.
    Personally, I think the competition for customers is between AT&T and Verizon Wireless. Sprint is too busy rebuilding itself to remain competitive. Of course, the biggest thing AT&T has which Verizon Wireless does not is the iPhone.
    I said it before and I'll say it again: Sprint picks up trash subs.

They bank on quantity over quality in subs. They're extremely lax in their credit checks, often taking people with no deposit who VZ and AT&T have asked for $500+ desposits (VZ told a friend 900 and Sprint took him for a hundred). It kinda works, as many people are mostly honest and hardworking so will pay their bills so long as its possible.

What Sprint has always lacked was a good handset, IMO. The Pre will decide Sprint's fate. I do see their customerbase increasing significantly with its release, at which point we'll see how AT&T and VZ respond.

And what about T-Mobile? I think they're satisfied with just being in the game, preferring steady profit over all the profit
    05-02-09 09:27 PM
    To many concessions foe Verizon to get the iphone. I'd be very surprise if att let go the only good thing they got going...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-09 09:35 PM
    I still don't get why people still talk about it as if when you got the storm or the iphone some one made you do it ... C'mon people is all about choices. On both phones a lot of people jump the gun
    And where upset with there choice but not enough to do something about it before the 30 days .I'm just saying ...besides for example the iphone is been out for long enough for those who wanted it so bad to have it same thing with storm
    You got it you tried it for A or B you keep it so really enough with the "is better...no is not" they are both good phones just different strengths but for the most part they can pretty much do the same in one way or another ..faster...slower whatever still gets done .

And at the end of the day if both phones end up with VZW regardless of to whom keeps one or the other is only gonna proof VZW is the carrier of choice ...with that been said as you were LOL

05-02-09 09:48 PM
    I agree with RKC and Joshua. I believe the iPhone is more of the toy the iPod touch is. The Storm is saficticated and professional looking and far less of a toy than the counter part. However, RIM and VZW need to get thier act together to take care of the gliches that is dragging the device down.
    05-02-09 10:15 PM
    Waitaminnit. Verizon is CDMA, right?

Does that mean that Bell will also get the iPhone? I have an unlocked iPhone, but refuse to use Rogers. I hear that Bell will support GSM somehow in the near future, but a fully CDMA iPhone means a total hardware ret00l, doesn't it? Would the new iPhone (leaving alone the 3.0 OS) be GSM and CDMA, like the Storm?

Apple = iTunes. They will not abandon iTunes just to get another carrier. iTunes works, and well, especially on Macs.
    05-03-09 12:21 AM
    Waitaminnit. Verizon is CDMA, right?

Does that mean that Bell will also get the iPhone? I have an unlocked iPhone, but refuse to use Rogers. I hear that Bell will support GSM somehow in the near future, but a fully CDMA iPhone means a total hardware ret00l, doesn't it? Would the new iPhone (leaving alone the 3.0 OS) be GSM and CDMA, like the Storm?

Apple = iTunes. They will not abandon iTunes just to get another carrier. iTunes works, and well, especially on Macs.
    Depends. On cdma the esn has to be listed on the carriers approved esn table. If its LTE then who knows. But vzw won't use Sim cards. So don't count on that to work. If bell uses open source then you could theoretically. Its hard to say without knowing specs of the device and networks involved.

05-03-09 12:27 AM
    Verizon won't use SIM? Pray tell - what is that under the battery of my Storm?
    05-03-09 12:58 AM
    The sim says vodafone. Vzw uses on board programming. This has a sim due to its quad band capabilities. Google it.

05-03-09 01:00 AM
    Depends. On cdma the esn has to be listed on the carriers approved esn table. If its LTE then who knows. But vzw won't use Sim cards. So don't count on that to work. If bell uses open source then you could theoretically. Its hard to say without knowing specs of the device and networks involved.

People keep expecting LTE to be open, any handset able to buy from one carrier and take to another. I honestly do not see that happening.

No carrier is in the business to sell phones. They are all in it to sell subscriptions. Let's look at the Storm. New 2 year sub price: $199. ETF for Verizon: $175. If it were an LTE phone and open to any carrier the cost to buy the Storm from VZ and take it to... say Sprint after 30 days: $374. Which would be under the full retail of of the 9530.

There's no profit in it for any carrier to allow someone to take a handset purchased from them to another carrier at current prices. I can see some sort of serial # lockouts, vastly increased ETFs or something to make it extremely unattractive to do something like this.

Basically if the iPhone X or Storm X is LTE, whatever carrier the person buys it from will most likely remain the carrier they are with.
    05-03-09 01:03 AM
    Your first two paragraphs are contradictory. If they're selling subscriptions with contracts, why would they care where the equipment comes from?

Open source allows them access to potential users who would avoid them for not having the iphone or whatever device they want.

05-03-09 01:35 AM
    Your first two paragraphs are contradictory. If they're selling subscriptions with contracts, why would they care where the equipment comes from?

Open source allows them access to potential users who would avoid them for not having the iphone or whatever device they want.

Carriers don't make anything on handset sales. All their money comes from the long-term sales of contracts. A 2 year agreement are worth far more than any sale of the phone.

My 9530 cost me $50 out of pocket brand new from Verizon Telesales (don't ask). My yearly cost to Verizon for service is minimum $1320 per year. Any cross-carrier phone would murder their margins unless they made it unattractive to walk in the store, buy the phone and wait a month to cancel so I could switch to my carrier of choice.

That leaves the carrier with a couple options:
    1. Increase the ETF so the customer doesn't want to pay more than Verison's income from them if they leave earley.
    2. Increase handset price
    3. "Approved" handsets so that only phone's they approved could beused on their system, forcing the customer to buy from a manufacturer they'd receive income from
    05-03-09 02:09 AM
    What Sprint has always lacked was a good handset, IMO. The Pre will decide Sprint's fate.
    IMO, thats debateable. I was a former Treo users, both corporate and personal. Palms are solid business devices and offer a lot of great featrures that Apple and BB don't. I saw and played with the Pre demo phone awhile back. I think and hope that it does well, as that I may get one for personal use. But, the thing that turns me off about it, no matter what it offers, is the deisgn. It's a POS slider knock-off. It's looks and feels cheap. They should have left well enough alone.

And what about T-Mobile? I think they're satisfied with just being in the game, preferring steady profit over all the profit
    No doubt, but they should be careful as Cricket is semi becoming larger. T may have a competitor in a few years.
    05-03-09 07:19 AM
    sounds like OP needs more than an iphone

needs a cryphone for this one

maybe there's an app for that?
    05-21-09 12:47 PM
    The Pre, G1 and iPhone are the top tier of smartphones, Verizon desperately needs one of these devices, the Storm is just not cutting it.
    05-21-09 01:05 PM
    I beg to differ; the Storm aint no joke..............
    05-21-09 01:14 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD