Im on .113. When i connect to DM or try OTA updates, i get nothing.

While this is my personal phone, I am connected to my company BES. Is this why im not able to update?

I really dont feel like effing around with my IT guy, should i just download the .148 leak? Isnt it the same?

thanks
    06-01-09 04:15 PM
    You can safely download and install the .148 leak. It is the same.
    06-01-09 04:17 PM
    You can also download the official from VZW site if you wish. Both are the same though.
    06-01-09 04:23 PM
    I'd check with your IT staff first... but that's just me. There might be a legitimate reason that they have not pushed the update through BES.
    06-01-09 04:28 PM
    You can also download the official from VZW site if you wish. Both are the same though.
    thats not working for me...i get this.

To update your device software from your desktop computer visit BlackBerry Storm.

Please note this method requires Windows® Internet Explorer® v5.5 or later, running on Windows®.

that link, is the link to the same page.
    06-01-09 04:39 PM
    Couple of things:

First, you need to use IE, you can't use a differant OS to do the update.
    If you are on BES, however, the only official way you can get the update is through the BES server.

There are a few ways around that. You can download the OS and install it through your own DM (not the update page), while you are connected to your corporate network, and it should allow you to not have to reactivate your phone (note I have not tried this every time I downloaded a leak I got a new password from my admin).

Also, you can use the bug to update from the update site (open a second instance when you get the error), however this will require you to reactivate your phone once it is done.

The thing to keep in mind, is when you take your personal phone, and connect it to the corporate network via a BES server, the IT department has full reign over what can be done there. Your admin has the ability, if he so chooses, to disable / enable any features and/or functionality he sees fit.

In addition, they can see all the data that passes through your phone (its likely its actually passing through their corporate network).

So take to heart the fact that the BES admins might have a really good reason for not pushing out the OS update. Its possible (though not likely) they can force you to use a specific OS version if they so chose.
    06-01-09 04:48 PM
    Its possible (though not likely) they can force you to use a specific OS version if they so chose.
    but ive been on 113 with no probs...ive emailed my IT guy..haent heard back. I might just DL the leak like i did with 113
    06-01-09 05:14 PM
    but ive been on 113 with no probs...ive emailed my IT guy..haent heard back. I might just DL the leak like i did with 113
    Cool that means they have no problems with you being on a different OS. Nothing wrong with downloading the leak then, it is exactly the same.

Some people on here were saying Verizon released the file for download (I can't confirm where I am at) so you might just be able to get it that way. If not I'm sure someone has the OS floating around somewhere. Might be worth a shot.
    06-01-09 05:19 PM
    Cool that means they have no problems with you being on a different OS. Nothing wrong with downloading the leak then, it is exactly the same.

Some people on here were saying Verizon released the file for download (I can't confirm where I am at) so you might just be able to get it that way. If not I'm sure someone has the OS floating around somewhere. Might be worth a shot.

i went to Verizons Storm update page...the link takes you to that link i posted above..
    and yes, im using IE 8
    06-01-09 05:35 PM
    Ok if its not working for you, then definitly go with the leak, nothing wrong with that at all. It is the same.
    06-01-09 05:39 PM
    I did some more poking, you can download the Verizon file from here. I was able to successfully download the executable.

BlackBerry® Software Updates
    06-01-09 05:42 PM
    I did some more poking, you can download the Verizon file from here. I was able to successfully download the executable.

BlackBerry® Software Updates
    THANKS! man
    06-01-09 05:49 PM
    this was the only workable method for me, thank you.

the ******* at RIM said i couldn't upgrade OTA because i'd need to be on ".98 or later to be able to do that" and that i would need the desktop manager to upgrade. oh and they said being on a BES makes no difference.
    06-01-09 06:11 PM
    when I try to update from the storm it says I don't have enough available memory. it wants me to delete 21MB of personal memory.the phone is only two weeks old, there is only one picture on it and no videos, however I have down loaded 2 apps weather bug and vilingo, could this be the problem? my son has a storm and he had no problem updating his phone, he has a ton of stuff on his.
    thank you for taking the time to help me if you chose to.
    Billy
    06-01-09 07:47 PM
    I tried to upgrade through the DM, but it said my phone can't be upgraded because it's on BES. It's not though.
    06-01-09 07:52 PM
    I tried to upgrade through the DM, but it said my phone can't be upgraded because it's on BES. It's not though.
    Check here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/qu...evices-238649/

There is a fix for this problem listed.
    06-02-09 10:18 AM
    Check here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/qu...evices-238649/

There is a fix for this problem listed.
    I got it to work with that Verizon link. Not even sure why the error message pooped up because I'm not even on BES. Oh well.
    06-02-09 10:21 AM
    I got it to work with that Verizon link. Not even sure why the error message pooped up because I'm not even on BES. Oh well.
    There is a bug in there check, not sure what exactly it is, but they seem to think for some reason, that you are on a BES server. Its happening ~5% of people upgrading it seems, in any case, downloading the installation from Verizon is definitely a fix for this problem.
    06-02-09 10:26 AM
    There is a bug in there check, not sure what exactly it is, but they seem to think for some reason, that you are on a BES server. Its happening ~5% of people upgrading it seems, in any case, downloading the installation from Verizon is definitely a fix for this problem.
    Cool thanks for the info. Another weird thing was, after the upgrade to 148 and a battery pull, my browser was gone, which I heard happened to a few people. This morning, it was back!
    06-02-09 10:28 AM
    when I try to update from the storm it says I don't have enough available memory. it wants me to delete 21MB of personal memory.the phone is only two weeks old, there is only one picture on it and no videos, however I have down loaded 2 apps weather bug and vilingo, could this be the problem? my son has a storm and he had no problem updating his phone, he has a ton of stuff on his.
    thank you for taking the time to help me if you chose to.
    Billy
    Are you doing an OTA or trying to update via DM?
    06-02-09 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD