Just install it on your PC and then either run Desktop Manager (which should now list it) Or run 'loader.exe'

This can be found on your PC ether:-

Here for 32 Bit systems: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

Or

Here for 64 bit systems: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

The actual firmware you just put on your PC can be found here:-

Here for 32 Bit systems: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Shared\Loader Files

Or

Here for 64 bit systems: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Shared\Loader Files
    07-24-10 07:09 AM
    I think it is the first times it has been enforced on any Blackberry handset and I can tell you it is a pain in the ****!

There are never any DRM leaks because of it.

I worry, that with this, 'jailbreaking iPhones' and the new iFuse that Motorola have on their Droidx. Companies are going to really try their best to 'lock' down the customers handsets and not let us fiddle around with them and choose what we want to do with our devices.

As if network locking and branding was not enough for them.
    Doubt that will happen. I'll bet you could remove the DRM from the sfi, but since RIM's plan is supposed to be moving away from carrier specific OS, and simply release them themselves, along with OS6 being open source makes it unlikely. This reminds me of the carrier caught trying to spy on their customers by inserting a tracking bug in an upgrade. Hmmmmmmmm...
    07-24-10 07:10 AM
    do i still need to delete vendor.xml?
    Just delete it to be sure... it does no harm and will for some reason re-grow back up to 500Kb+ in the near future. Not sure what triggers this event off though.
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 07-24-10 at 07:14 AM.
    07-24-10 07:10 AM
    I already deleted my vendor.xml from previous attempts of installing the OS. should I re-install DM to get it back? or it's fine installing it w/o the vendor.xml?
    wow! thank you for all the effort kchicken! kudos!

oops question answered. sorry. lol
    07-24-10 07:14 AM
    I always delete it, and every OS install will leave at least one. Don't be mucking with DM airfoil, you'll regret it when you loose all the installed OS.

kc, what do you mean regrows?
    07-24-10 07:18 AM
    Oh I see, well this is the first time i'll update my bb since i bought it. and I hope it will still be the same with the new DM6 so there will no fuss updating it.
    07-24-10 07:22 AM
    kc, what do you mean regrows?
    Well when you deleted it, it pops back as a 1Kb file containing...

Code:
      <vendorsrc version="0.0.0.0" />
    And you can get away with not deleting it, if it stays like that.

However (as I say) some event suddenly fills up the file to about 560Kb and HAS to be deleted (if it is a vendor release you are updating to).

It is possibly that when you upgrade DM itself this happens, because I have been running .713 for about 2 weeks now and it hasn't grown yet.
    07-24-10 07:28 AM
    Well when you deleted it, it pops back as a 1Kb file containing...

Code:
      <vendorsrc version="0.0.0.0" />
    And you can get away with not deleting it, if it stays like that.

However (as I say) some event suddenly fills up the file to about 560Kb and HAS to be deleted (if it is a vendor release you are updating to).

It is possibly that when you upgrade DM itself this happens, because I have been running .713 for about 2 weeks now and it hasn't grown yet.
    Must be a W7 thing. Hundreds of OS installs and upgrades along with at least a dozen DM upgrades, and I've never seen a lingering vendor.xml, let alone one that magically grows back.
    07-24-10 07:37 AM
    No? I had it on XP as well!
    07-24-10 07:38 AM
    Why so troublesome? Win7? Isn't it just plug the phone to DM and update? Its never complicated for me since its suppose to be automatic.
    07-24-10 07:48 AM
    No? I had it on XP as well!
    XP Pro for over two years. again

Why so troublesome? Win7? Isn't it just plug the phone to DM and update? Its never complicated for me since its suppose to be automatic.
    Read the entire thread, and it should be very clear.
    07-24-10 07:52 AM
    OMG!! the Spain update WORKED!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!! yay!

07-24-10 09:14 AM
    Who said the Carriers will no longer be in control of the OS releases and who said OS6 will be open source?

I need links and sources.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-10 09:20 AM
    OMG!! the Spain update WORKED!!!
    Excellent, thanks for getting back to us.
    07-24-10 09:34 AM
    Must be a W7 thing. Hundreds of OS installs and upgrades along with at least a dozen DM upgrades, and I've never seen a lingering vendor.xml, let alone one that magically grows back.
    Hey Wulf,
    I've had Vendor re-appear at least 3 times, but not in a while. (Possibly not since OS 5 even for me, but can't be sure.)
    This includes 1 time literally seeing it re-appear while I had the AppLoader folder open still behind the Loader wizard that just opened.

At least 2 out of 3 times were on Vista 64bit. Can't recall if 3rd was still Vista or W7.

07-25-10 01:35 AM
    I think you're talking about an OS release by your own carrier.
    As is relatively obvious by a reading of this entire thread, the OP is looking to install the most current released OS possible, regardless of carrier.

07-25-10 01:42 AM
    You have a 9550, they all have the same type of firmware. Unlike the 9520 which has different types of firmware.
    07-25-10 03:47 AM
    You have a 9550, they all have the same type of firmware. Unlike the 9520 which has different types of firmware.
    Dear enigmaticpoultry,
    Like BigBadWulf, I'd never heard of this. Are you aware of any other such devices?

07-25-10 04:00 AM
    Dear enigmaticpoultry,
    Like BigBadWulf, I'd never heard of this. Are you aware of any other such devices?
    Nope never heard of any other devices that use it. Some say that the Storm 1 was capable as well, but I remember installing leaks with nodrm in the title, so if it was, Vodafone certainly didn't impose it then.

I would be cautious of any future blackberry handsets that Vodafone supply. (beyond the release of the 9520)

I certainly will be moving service providers when the time comes, directly because of this.
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 07-25-10 at 04:17 AM.
    07-25-10 04:07 AM
    I think you're talking about an OS release by your own carrier.
    Nah~ my OS is not release by my own carrier. My carrier don't even carry 9550. I plug in to DM, it detect my Verizon 9550 and auto push down the latest OS.
    07-25-10 05:52 AM
    Nah~ my OS is not release by my own carrier. My carrier don't even carry 9550. I plug in to DM, it detect my Verizon 9550 and auto push down the latest OS.
    You're getting the OS for the carrier your phone originally was locked to, unless you have a non-branded device. What does your splash screen say on bootup?

I wish the dang vendor grew on mine. I'd love to investigate why. DRM isn't present on 9700 Voda, that I know. Gonna have to do some searching on both these issues. I'm curious as *the place where Satan developed DRM* about it.
    07-25-10 06:41 AM
    07-26-10 07:26 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD