Hi! i'm having these problems for months now. I can't Update my Blackberry storm 2 (9520), my current version is v5.0.0.580 (platform 4.2.0.250) and wanna update it to v5.0.0.713
    and i'm using Windows 7 home basic (64bit)
    I already installed the new OS in my comp. deleted the vendor.xml in the common files loc. but i can't seem to find the other vendor.xml in the C:\Users\Username\appdata\virtualstore... there is no files in there. not even a single one. all hidden files are shown. tried running DOS no good still cant find the vendor.xml. already tried crackmem still no good. when i tried to update my bb thru loader (even if i deleted only one vendor.xml) it still doesn't recognized my new OS installed in the comp. all I see are the apps I downloaded. and oh. I tried reinstalling everything from my DM(unchecked the update) to new OS and tried installing it with no internet connection still no good.and oh I have BIS service.

argghh. pls help me!
    thanks!
    Last edited by airfoil20; 07-24-10 at 05:48 AM.
    07-21-10 09:03 PM
    I am not familiar with Windows 7, but if all else fails, go to the Verizon store and have them update it for you; I believe they will do that for no charge.
    07-22-10 06:36 AM
    Which service provider, supplied the handset?

What is the full firmware file name?
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 07-22-10 at 06:51 AM.
    07-22-10 06:46 AM
    this is not from verizon, the phone is europe version. SFR 3g+

What is the full firmware file name?
    are you referring to the update or the phone?

for the update:

Software For BlackBerry� Storm 2 (TM) smartphone
    BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1206 (EastAsia)
    Package Version: 5.0.0.1206
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 5.0.0.713
    Software Platform: 4.2.0.323
    File name: 9520_omanodrmjEastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel1206_PL4.2.0.32 3_A5.0.0.713_Docomo_Pacific.exe
    File size: 131.58MB
    Last edited by airfoil20; 07-24-10 at 06:00 AM.
    07-24-10 05:40 AM
    Which os are you truing to load?

If You have s DRM Version on the phone You can only load a drm os (like .713 from vodafone Spain)

But if you have a no drm phone you need also a no drm Os. (like .741 from Starhub)

I have a no drm phone and tried the drm one from Spain and I experienced the same as You.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-10 05:49 AM
    The carrier is irrelevant. Run a search on your hard drive for vendor.xml, including hidden files, and delete any you find, even if it's in the recycle bin. Disable your internet connection on the PC, and then run loader.exe.

Edit - One additional point. If the if the BB OS platform version is the same on the new one, loader will consider it a downgrade, even though the Java is an upgrade.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 07-24-10 at 06:06 AM.
    07-24-10 05:59 AM
    The carrier is irrelevant. Run a search on your hard drive for vendor.xml, including hidden files, and delete any you find, even if it's in the recycle bin. Disable your internet connection on the PC, and then run loader.exe.
    I already did that. all my hidden files are shown. All i see is 1 vendor.xml and i already deleted the vendor.xml on my recycle bin did tried installing it with no internet connection. still the loader doesnt recognized the new OS installed. *sigh* this is getting on my nerves.

thanks for the help guys..
    07-24-10 06:06 AM
    Which os are you truing to load?

If You have s DRM Version on the phone You can only load a drm os (like .713 from vodafone Spain)

But if you have a no drm phone you need also a no drm Os. (like .741 from Starhub)

I have a no drm phone and tried the drm one from Spain and I experienced the same as You.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thank you for that. uhhmmm, this is sooo noob. how do i know if I have a DRM or Not? well, i'm pretty sure 9520 is non-CDMA
    07-24-10 06:08 AM
    I already did that. all my hidden files are shown. All i see is 1 vendor.xml and i already deleted the vendor.xml on my recycle bin did tried installing it with no internet connection. still the loader doesnt recognized the new OS installed. *sigh* this is getting on my nerves.

thanks for the help guys..
    You should see zero vendor.xml

Posted from my �berSupercharged Onyx at Idon'tneednostinkin'mobileview.crackberry.com
    07-24-10 06:12 AM
    You should see zero vendor.xml

Posted from my �berSupercharged Onyx at Idon'tneednostinkin'mobileview.crackberry.com
    LOL! hahah, i'm referring to vendor.xml on my comp. ofcourse after i deleted it goes ZERO. hahaha..
    07-24-10 06:14 AM
    The carrier is irrelevant.
    The carrier that he got the handset from is completely RELEVANT (read my post properly). If it was any of the Vodafone factions other than VF Australia/Fiji then he has to use DRM firmware. If he got the handset in Europe, then there is a good possibility that it is a Vodafone one.

The version he has at the moment is NODRM fimware.
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 07-24-10 at 06:20 AM.
    07-24-10 06:16 AM
    The carrier that he got the handset from it completely RELEVANT. If it was any of the Vodafone factions other than VF Australia/Fiji then he has to use DRM firmware.

ok. i'm confused with DRM and NODRM. so i have a NODRM. how can i update this? what OS? can i convert my phone to DRM?

thanks a bunch for ur quick reply!
    07-24-10 06:18 AM
    The carrier that he got the handset from is completely RELEVANT (read my post properly). If it was any of the Vodafone factions other than VF Australia/Fiji then he has to use DRM firmware. If he got the handset in Europe, then there is a good possibility that it is a Vodafone one.

Mkay, if you say so. Only exceptions to simply model number I know of are the 8330 with some being ESM and some MEID.

Tell you what OP. If the radio on your current is fine, then copy/paste the java from the new to the old, and run loader. That will install all the new cod on, but leave the radio (platform version) the same.
    07-24-10 06:25 AM
    Digital Rights Management - the Storm2 is a DRM handset, where Vodafone has decided to apply DRM to the OS itself (all other companies have not). If we compare the O2 release with the VF release of .497, here are the file names (ignore the O2 and Vodafone bits)

9520AllLang_PBr5.0.0_rel834_PL4.2.0.220_A5.0.0.497 _Vodafone_UK.exe

9520_omanodrmjAllLang_PBr5.0.0_rel834_PL4.2.0.220_A5.0.0.497_O2 _UK.exe

Any official or leak that is nodrm will be completely ignored by Desktop Manager where Vodafone is involved, however it will install fine on everyone else's handset that does not enforce DRM. The DRM code is integrated into the sfi file (Operating System) itself, so it is impossible to get around. It serves no other purpose than to stop VF users using other releases by other companies.

P.S. The term DRM was originally known to secure media such as music, it is now used in a number of different applications one of which is operating systems.

----

So if your phone is NOT from Vodafone you need to look for updates with nodrm in the title. The latest, although not multilanguage is .741 - however this still gives you these languages...

English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, Hungarian, Romanian, Catalan, Czech, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew, Turkish, Basque, Indonesian, Galician, Greek, Danish, Swedish, & Norwegian.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...D2BAA65E461CB2

If it is a Vodafone handset, then look for firmware WITHOUT
    nodrm in the title. The latest is from VF Spain .713.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...7FBC3A4B01FEB0
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 07-24-10 at 06:34 AM.
    07-24-10 06:28 AM

Tell you what OP. If the radio on your current is fine, then copy/paste the java from the new to the old, and run loader. That will install all the new cod on, but leave the radio (platform version) the same.

WOW... I don't speak techy. hehehe. well i really don't know how to identify the radio thing and don't know how to do it. can i get a walk-through?? yay!! thanks!!!
    07-24-10 06:33 AM
    nodrm [/B]in the title. The latest, although not multilanguage is .741 - however this still gives you these languages...

English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, Hungarian, Romanian, Catalan, Czech, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew, Turkish, Basque, Indonesian, Galician, Greek, Danish, Swedish, & Norwegian.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...D2BAA65E461CB2

If it is a Vodafone handset, then look for firmware WITHOUT
    nodrm in the title. The latest is from VF Spain .713.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...7FBC3A4B01FEB0
    wow thanks. I might try this one. do you happen to have a link for the VF spain .713??

Thanks!!!!

=====

you guys made me confused!! but thank you so much for the help..
    I'll take both suggestions and will try to figure out the problem with your help ofcourse!!
    07-24-10 06:36 AM
    Thanks!. It's vodafone SFR unlocked. bought it in france
    07-24-10 06:41 AM
    Ok, that's a new one on me, but means my suggestion will resolve it.

I know it's different on W7 than other PC OS, so locate the BB OS using search if you don't know where it is. Click on the old one, and you'll see a Java folder within. Click that, edit, select all, copy, then make a new folder where you can find it, such as my documents, and paste it there for safe keeping. Then locate the new BB OS, open java, edit, select all, copy, return to the old, open java, right click your mouse, choose paste and rerplace all. Then you have the sfi of old, with the cod from new. When you run loader, choose downgrade, and you can verify you're loading the right OS by clicking details->modules when you get to application selection. That will show the OS app version of the cod files.
    07-24-10 06:44 AM
    Thanks!. It's vodafone SFR unlocked. bought it in france
    Ah YES, then you need the DRM .713 from Spain. Click on the last link on my last post and that should take you to it.
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 07-24-10 at 06:48 AM.
    07-24-10 06:44 AM
    Ok, that's a new one on me, but means my suggestion will resolve it.

I know it's different on W7 than other PC OS, so locate the BB OS using search if you don't know where it is. Click on the old one, and you'll see a Java folder within. Click that, edit, select all, copy, then make a new folder where you can find it, such as my documents, and paste it there for safe keeping. Then locate the new BB OS, open java, edit, select all, copy, return to the old, open java, right click your mouse, choose paste and rerplace all. Then you have the sfi of old, with the cod from new. When you run loader, choose downgrade, and you can verify you're loading the right OS by clicking details->modules when you get to application selection. That will show the OS app version of the cod files.

wow.. hope I won't mess this up. hahaha. Ok. I'll try this if the spain OS won't go thru. thanks buddy!
    07-24-10 06:49 AM
    Ah YES, then you need the DRM .713 from Spain. Click on the last link on my last post and that should take you to it.
    Already downloading it. tHank you so much! uhm, Do i still have to delete the vendor.xml?
    07-24-10 06:50 AM
    Thanks kchicken. Always good to learn something new. Airfoil, hopefully the one kc gave you will do the trick.
    07-24-10 06:53 AM
    Thanks kchicken. Always good to learn something new. Airfoil, hopefully the one kc gave you will do the trick.
    I hope so too.I dont wanna go thru that copy paste thing i'm a total tech moron. hahaha.. Still Downloading it. yay.hehehe
    07-24-10 06:55 AM
    I think it is the first times it has been enforced on any Blackberry handset and I can tell you it is a pain in the ****!

There are never any DRM leaks because of it.

I worry, that with this, 'jailbreaking iPhones' and the new iFuse that Motorola have on their Droidx. Companies are going to really try their best to 'lock' down the customers handsets and not let us fiddle around with them and choose what we want to do with our devices.

As if network locking and branding was not enough for them.
    07-24-10 07:01 AM
    yeah it is!!

-anyway, do i still need to delete vendor.xml? or just update it through device manager?
    07-24-10 07:09 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD